Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Dezod
Someone needs to inform the fella at Quaife whom said this was developed for that program. That was what I was told years ago. Although, maybe it was developed for the program and not used for one reason or another and this is why they are sitting on that inventory.
Other than I know for sure the Time Attack car did not have a 6 speed ; Under contract to GM , our Powell Race Shop built it, ran it, won with it Heinricy driving (brilliantly) he spanked Tarzan Yamada the famous Japanese Time Attack ace driving an Evo at ButtonWillow in November 2005.

The time attack Cobalt went to auction at Barret Jackson when GM was going through its liquidation phase and Bankuptcy;the car was sold at B-J for 25,000 on a bill of sale and subsequently parted out as far as I know.

Six Speed.
The 6 speed quaife transmission was commissioned by Brammo out on the west coast, Washington State I beleive; this guy was making a USA version of the Ariel Atom, built with a supercharged LSJ ecotec Cobalt motor . So Brammo was making this under license from the UK folks. Autotech got involved with Quaife, and everyone sunk a lot of money into the project, Quaife built and shipped the gear sets.

Brammo went bankrupt and that was the end of that. Lots of folks got burned. Autotech wont come down on the price. ZZP are going down a different road, they are pretty smart.

Most of this stuff can be googled.....
Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Other than I know for sure the Time Attack car did not have a 6 speed ; Under contract to GM , our Powell Race Shop built it, ran it, won with it Heinricy driving (brilliantly) he spanked Tarzan Yamada the famous Japanese Time Attack ace driving an Evo at ButtonWillow in November 2005.

The time attack Cobalt went to auction at Barret Jackson when GM was going through its liquidation phase and Bankuptcy;the car was sold at B-J for 25,000 on a bill of sale and subsequently parted out as far as I know.

Six Speed.
The 6 speed quaife transmission was commissioned by Brammo out on the west coast, Washington State I beleive; this guy was making a USA version of the Ariel Atom, built with a supercharged LSJ ecotec Cobalt motor . So Brammo was making this under license from the UK folks. Autotech got involved with Quaife, and everyone sunk a lot of money into the project, Quaife built and shipped the gear sets.

Brammo went bankrupt and that was the end of that. Lots of folks got burned. Autotech wont come down on the price. ZZP are going down a different road, they are pretty smart.

That's all folks John just put a /thread to this thread
Old 09-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Former Vendor

Six Speed.

Shame such a car went for so cheap.

Interesting info though to say the least. REP!

Not a surprise about someone going belly up in this economic climate. Many of giants in this industry faltered and some fell.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Six Speed.

And Im going with a John Powell built 4.45 plus a spare !!!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyP
ya just ask the evo guys. More gears in the same amount of space = less tranny fluid + thinner gears = runs hotter = overheats and blows up.

Been driving a 6 speed for a year now and it's not all it's cracked up to be, just more shifting to do. One day I plan on swapping to a shep built 5 speed with a taller final drive.
Agreed!. I dont know how those guys gonna cope when that 7 speed porcshe comes out.
I only would 6 speed for the possible gas mileage.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM

I like the 5 speed because less shifting and longer gears fovors torque which we all have plenty of. The only thing I want is a longer 1st gear because 2nd is such an annoying drop and is over way to fast.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^ Agreed. I'm always banging off the limiter in 2nd.