Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Brief auto to manual question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brief auto to manual question

Yo.

Ok. First. If you're gonna be a douchebag and post "Just get a different car" don't bother reading the rest. Honestly.

Anyway, here's the scenario. '06 SS 2.4 auto. We bought the auto because my mom was gonna take it after my initial lease was up (buying it out at the end). Otherwise I wouldn't have this issue. lol. If she DOES end up taking it, then I WILL buy a used s/c. Regardless, here's what's up. I take great care of the car. All proper fluids, extensive ammounts of cleaning, etc. I've started on mods. Mainly costmetics and a few other things. Almost more is comming at the beginning of spring. So by the time my car is totally paid off, it'd have some miles on it. So I figured that instead of trading it in, the dealership giving me like 500 bucks for it, and starting all over again, then why not swap a LSJ s/c motor with a 5 speed in it already? I noticed the Crate Engine Depot is selling s/c motors new for like 2,500. lol. That, or you can always find them used, then just rebuild. I have no problem with my 2.4, however I heard that it's easier to swap to manual if you work with a motor that's already set-up for manual. True? I don't need to worry about the skills or a place to do it (we're VIP's at our dealership...lol) and my grandpa and uncle have built more damn cars... Nevermind. Regardless, it can be done. I just need some guidance, and a few references. Because I mean, by that time, it'll have the Recaros, full coil-overs, etc. Why throw all that away? The LSJ + 5 speed would just complete the project. Nah. Stage 3 will do that trick.

Then, I'll put my 2.4 into my girls LS. haha

Old 01-29-2008, 01:45 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
could be done, but you will need a donor car. the biggest issue is the pcm stuff. gm cant just randomly change the things once your vin number is asigned a motor/trans/ other options. iirc, they can change the engine (by changing the 8th digit of the vin) however once the car is asigned a transmission to than vin number (auto or stick) they cant change it. what you would need to do is get the entire wiring harness, computers (all of them), ect from a donor can and keep that vin number off that car, if you go to gm and they need to reflash something, give them that vin number (gonna take some explaining to get them to flash it with a different vin).

if i were you, what id do is find another 2.4l and build it up for boost and supercharge that, tune with hpt, and make 300hp with the auto. that, or honestly (and i know this isnt what you want to hear) trade it in for an ss/sc. what you will spend on the swap would more than pay the difference for an ss/sc.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm not 100% sure, but i think you would have to swap out every single piece of electronic equipment in the car. and i mean every. when you change the computers, it will not longer "speak" to everything else. so, you would basically have to take an entire 2.0 cobalt and swap everything out under the engine, not just the engine itself. by the time you're done, you're going to end up spending 10 grand just to get it to work. why not just get a turbo for less than half that, and put out more power?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i'm not 100% sure, but i think you would have to swap out every single piece of electronic equipment in the car. and i mean every. when you change the computers, it will not longer "speak" to everything else. so, you would basically have to take an entire 2.0 cobalt and swap everything out under the engine, not just the engine itself. by the time you're done, you're going to end up spending 10 grand just to get it to work. why not just get a turbo for less than half that, and put out more power?
i believe he's right. in addition, the LSJ on CED does not include the supercharger, so tack on another $2000 for that (the SC is $1500 alone). so $4500 + the cost of the F35 getrag + labor...a LOT of labor. yes, its possible, but its cheaper to just build up your stock tranny and motor and throw a SC on that (the LE5 would make more power than the LSJ anyway), or even go turbo.