Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Drive Train

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive Train

Hi Fellow Cobalt SS owners

I have a 2006 Cobalt SS with 15000 miles on it that I love. I have a problem that has not been determined yet. This problem only happens in third gear. When I accelerate my gear lever moves a small distant to the rear. When I decelerate it moves a small distant forward. It feels like I have a direct contact to the gearbox. IF THIS was a old shift lever that went straight into the top of the transmission it would feel like a broken motor mount allowing the engine/transmission to rise off the broken mount when you accelerated and returned back down when you took your foot off the gas pedal. There is no noise then or at any other time. The problem does not appear to effect the performance. If I keep my hand on my shift knob when I increase or decrease my speed it feel like feed back from my synchronizer that might be called harsh not very . I took my car to my dealer and they could not ID the problem yet. Does anyone have detail up close pictures of the inside of the GM Europe F 35 transmission which is what I believe I have and any listed tools that are required to service it and the shift cables.
Mr. E
Old 08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

i just took a quick look at gmpartsdirect.com for an illustration but couldn't find anything... not too sure.. I wonder if it has something to do with the adjustment of the linkage...
Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Mine does the same thing, I believe it is just the motor and tranny rocking back and forth.. I got under my car to do some brake work this weekend and realized my front motor mount is torn badly, that is probably my issue. So I am going solid mount inserts here soon!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 PM

So you are saying there is play in the shifter? its most likely your roll pin.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:02 AM

Drivetrain probems of Mr. E

Originally Posted by SKCobalt
i just took a quick look at gmpartsdirect.com for an illustration but couldn't find anything... not too sure.. I wonder if it has something to do with the adjustment of the linkage...
Thank You SKCOBALT for your response. I to suspect that linkage may be the culprit. If the linkage is not isolalted from the transmission/gear shift *** it can transmit the vibrations from the transmission. since as I stated in my posting that it only happens in third that may leave only two possibilities linkage or the third gear system. If its in the syncronizers, third gear, the shaft or bushing/bearing it may be a time bomb waiting to happend. I can not find a view of the insides of the system. My problem is I do not know what the parts look like. They may also require speicial tools to go into them or adjust them. The transmission is made in Sweden and I was told we do not have the tools or specs in this country.

Mr. E

Originally Posted by mattcossel29
Mine does the same thing, I believe it is just the motor and tranny rocking back and forth.. I got under my car to do some brake work this weekend and realized my front motor mount is torn badly, that is probably my issue. So I am going solid mount inserts here soon!
Note! if it only happens in third it would not be motor mounts or anything else that would not be also in 1st, 2nd 4th or overdrive. Be careful with solid motor mounts you may not like what goes with it. We use sub chassis, motor mounts, bushings etc to keep isolated vibrations, noise and shock from being transmitted. You may want to look at weather you dump the power when you shift which will break the weakest part. Your transmission may be next if you take the flexible mount out of the system. Fast shifts still require a touch.
Mr. E
Mr. E

Last edited by Mr. E; 08-19-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

We should have the tools in North America to be able to work on these transmissions. There are a lot of SS/SC's out there and I am sure that at least a few have had to have work done on them. Although they may not want to give you the specs on the parts, they should have some information on the transmission.

My Suggestion would be to talk to your dealer and get an exploded view of the transmission from the Service Desk. They should be able to have access to the diagrams (Well I know they do, it is just whether they would give it to you).

I hope you are able to resolve the issue.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM

Drive train problems

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
So you are saying there is play in the shifter? its most likely your roll pin.
I thank you LSJWANNABLE for your response. The roll pin is of interest. Where is it and what does it do. This will permit me to tell or consider it as the likely problem. I have over fifty years of experience dealing with cars. This being one of my hobby's.
Mr. E
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 AM

I responded to MATTCOSSEL29 by commenting on SOLID mounts. I did not see what they looked like until after I wrote. I incorrectly perceived solid as a no give material. I always called what I later saw as a poly-material. This type of bushing is used with sway bars and other applications very effectively. I have them on my RV. The IPD sway bars I replaced the garbage GM used from the factory that would collapse before the week sway bars would come into play that did very little in safely helping sway. What is the source and cost of these bars.
Mr. E