Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

How To Shift With An Auto 2.4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Shift With An Auto 2.4?

I know it's been covered, and yes I've used the search tool, However I can't find it. Can anyone help?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:29 PM

heres what u gotta do i also i have a stupid auto but here it goes it will help ur acceleration a bit to 60 anyway, put it in low and floor it it has to be a pretty high rpm for it to shift into second gear then once in 2nd put it in Intermediate and there u go. by puttin it in low it shifts at 6500 rpms instead or 6200-6300
Old 07-17-2008, 05:32 PM

HOW ABOUT THIS:

Dont try and shift your AUTO because you will tear up ur tranny. Go out, and get a chip or a tuner and change the shift points to your liking.

Autos are not designed to be shifted like this. U do what he says^^^ , and you will have a FUBAR'D tranny in no time
Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Bump.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 PM

how so when u put it from L to intermediate when in second gear nothing grinds or anything i could see putting it back in to drive could cause some damage while moving i wouldnt put it back in drive until u come to a stop. but all of this L to I is at WOT if not it probably wouldnt be to smooth. at least from what ive experienced if ur in 2nd in low and put it I ur still in 2nd gear and then just leave it in I until u come to stop, i dont do this all the time i wouldnt do this everyday daily driving.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
HOW ABOUT THIS:

Dont try and shift your AUTO because you will tear up ur tranny. Go out, and get a chip or a tuner and change the shift points to your liking.

Autos are not designed to be shifted like this. U do what he says^^^ , and you will have a FUBAR'D tranny in no time
not so much with these, there all electronicly controlled, it wont really let you break it.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by diablo9287
how so when u put it from L to intermediate when in second gear nothing grinds or anything i could see putting it back in to drive could cause some damage while moving i wouldnt put it back in drive until u come to a stop. but all of this L to I is at WOT if not it probably wouldnt be to smooth. at least from what ive experienced if ur in 2nd in low and put it I ur still in 2nd gear and then just leave it in I until u come to stop, i dont do this all the time i wouldnt do this everyday daily driving.
have you ever heard of gear slippage? If not, you keep doing that and you will find out what it is. Trust me when I tell you ITS NOT GOOD TO SHIFT AN AUTO.

THERES NO CLUTCH. What grinding will you hear?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 PM

there is no change in gear 2nd is 2nd whether its in L or I im not sayin to be in Low and be at say 4000 rpms still in first then switch to I cause yes im with u it will **** it up. what im talkin about it is at WOT only, i let Low switch the car into second at that point while still at WOT i put the car into I which switches nothing its still in second and at that point if u want to let of the gas and drive in I which is fine for the car then do so and i would only put it back into drive at a stop becsuse that would pop it back into overdrive
Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by diablo9287
heres what u gotta do i also i have a stupid auto but here it goes it will help ur acceleration a bit to 60 anyway, put it in low and floor it it has to be a pretty high rpm for it to shift into second gear then once in 2nd put it in Intermediate and there u go. by puttin it in low it shifts at 6500 rpms instead or 6200-6300

I have noticed that when mine is in Low "L" it doesnt shift itself out of L until 6700 and sometimes ill get a quick bump from the rev limiter.. then after it shifts out of L and into 2nd I click it up to "I" and it shifts from 2nd to 3rd around 6500..

My car is pretty much stock, besides a modded air intake with a K&N filter and a custom Cat-back, but i have the stock tune.. Shifting a automatic manually at WOT does not fubar it or cause anymore damage to it than when allowing the computer to shift the trans at WOT.. I have done it for years with many vehicles.. I have even ran a vehicle that was a auto with a manual valve body..that means you have to change each gear yourself either shifting up or downshifting...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual tranny guys....stick to your manuals and leave the autotrannys to those that know them.

Shifting DOES NOT HURT THE TRANNY!!!!!!!!!

The Cobalt's valve body is electronically controlled and not like autos of the past.

"L" disables traction control so that you can floor it and if (when) you get wheel spin it will not reduce power (not supposed to but this is debatable) and it will automatically shift into 2nd gear at redline. Once in 2nd shift up to "I" to allow 2nd to 3rd gear. If you leave it in drive you will not get the best acceleration from a dig. This is because the tranny increases oil pressure when the shifter is in "L" or "I" to increase torque management.

"I" is for "spirited" driving -- the tranny will upshift and downshift on it's own -- you will also notice the exhaust tone is different then when the tranny is in "D". In "I" the tranny will not go into OD so gas mileage will suffer but your throttle response will be quicker.

If shifting the tranny was as bad to your tranny as some indicate then GM would have only provided P R N D. Also note that other manufacturers have paddle shifters or "bang" shifters -- do you think the manufacturers would put these in there if it was bad for the tranny. AND FINALLY, I owned a FORD (ok, a 4-letter word) for 27 years and installed a shift kit and a B&M bang shifter and drove that car nearly every day slapping it through the gears -- never went out on me -- but I guess it was bad for it.

Last edited by Red07SSNA; 07-17-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 PM

thank you guys, oh an my next will be a cobalt t/c and then it will have to be a standard
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 PM

Put it in Drive... hit gas pedal... SRLSY
Old 07-18-2008, 03:43 AM

D is weak, like previously stated, L from 1st gear to 2nd and then switch up to I after you hit 2nd.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:44 AM

get tuned in D then leave it in D like mine with no traction control. mine is fully disabled.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:16 AM

Start in Low, take it to redline and let it shift to 2nd, You shift it to Intermediate, let it redline and let IT shift to 3rd (about 85 MPH), You shift it to Drive and it'll shift into 4th at 110+.... WOT All the way.... unbelievable.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
get tuned in D then leave it in D like mine with no traction control. mine is fully disabled.
I disagree with this.....positioning the selector in "L" or "I" also increases line pressure in the tranny and assists the low one-way clutch. Can't "tune" that in.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Red07SSNA
Manual tranny guys....stick to your manuals and leave the autotrannys to those that know them.

Shifting DOES NOT HURT THE TRANNY!!!!!!!!!

The Cobalt's valve body is electronically controlled and not like autos of the past.

"L" disables traction control so that you can floor it and if (when) you get wheel spin it will not reduce power (not supposed to but this is debatable) and it will automatically shift into 2nd gear at redline. Once in 2nd shift up to "I" to allow 2nd to 3rd gear. If you leave it in drive you will not get the best acceleration from a dig. This is because the tranny increases oil pressure when the shifter is in "L" or "I" to increase torque management.

"I" is for "spirited" driving -- the tranny will upshift and downshift on it's own -- you will also notice the exhaust tone is different then when the tranny is in "D". In "I" the tranny will not go into OD so gas mileage will suffer but your throttle response will be quicker.

If shifting the tranny was as bad to your tranny as some indicate then GM would have only provided P R N D. Also note that other manufacturers have paddle shifters or "bang" shifters -- do you think the manufacturers would put these in there if it was bad for the tranny. AND FINALLY, I owned a FORD (ok, a 4-letter word) for 27 years and installed a shift kit and a B&M bang shifter and drove that car nearly every day slapping it through the gears -- never went out on me -- but I guess it was bad for it.
Thats called a SPORT SHIFTER. Sport shifting is different from slapping it into gear the WRONG way.

Look, the BEST WAY to increase your 1/4mi time in a AUTO is to USE A CHIP or TUNER. Or, if you dont want to be a noob, just get a stick.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:06 PM

your auto is not used for changing gears in that way. You can break parts in the tranny if you shift it like a manual. Manufacturers that do have "paddles", DSG tiptronic, sportshift etc. etc. The are designed for that kind of shifting. most of then are a manual converted to auto clutch control. MB and Porsche are the only ones with true auto trannies that have manual like shifting that improve speed, power and control.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM

Again you manual guys aren't getting it...You do not have control of the shifts with the shift lever in the Cobalt. You can put the shifter in "I" but it doesn't hold the tranny in a particular gear -- it's still fully automatic. "L" doesn't hold it in 1st either. The shifter is designed for the owner to get the full available power out of the car.

Auto tranny owners shift all you want...it seems to do one thing for sure....irritate manual owners...and that alone makes it worth "Shifting"!
Old 07-18-2008, 12:56 PM

Again you manual guys aren't getting it...You do not have control of the shifts with the shift lever in the Cobalt. You can put the shifter in "I" but it doesn't hold the tranny in a particular gear -- it's still fully automatic. "L" doesn't hold it in 1st either. The shifter is designed for the owner to get the full available power out of the car.

Auto tranny owners shift all you want...it seems to do one thing for sure....irritate manual owners!
How doesnt L hold the car? You cant max out the car in L. Obviously its using lower gears when u put it into L. Do you know what L is REALLY for? "L" was created to help with towing, and to help slow down the vehicle faster ( aka like you would need to to for towing ) using the engine. Kind of like DOWN SHIFTING in a manual then applying the breaks to slow down faster.

If you put the car in anything BUT OD, you are NOT using all your gears. OD is like 5th gear in a stick. You can max out fourth, then shift into 5th and keep gaining speed. You can top out in 5th gear, but not 4th. 4th gear stops at xxxmph, while 5th gear stops at xxxmph ( where 4th gear stops ) + ymph ( whatever the vehicle tops out at ).

You top out ur car in ur HIGHEST GEAR, thus the reason for having shift points and gears in the first place....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Auto tranny owners shift all you want...it seems to do one thing for sure....irritate manual owners...and that alone makes it worth "Shifting"!
The auto tranny does not limit when you shift in this way. The tranny still switches gears and knows when to shift gears even if you hold the car in one position and it redlines. I don't see any potential harm in doing so.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 PM

How doesnt L hold the car? You cant max out the car in L. Obviously its using lower gears when u put it into L. Do you know what L is REALLY for? "L" was created to help with towing, and to help slow down the vehicle faster ( aka like you would need to to for towing ) using the engine. Kind of like DOWN SHIFTING in a manual then applying the breaks to slow down faster.

If you put the car in anything BUT OD, you are NOT using all your gears. OD is like 5th gear in a stick. You can max out fourth, then shift into 5th and keep gaining speed. You can top out in 5th gear, but not 4th. 4th gear stops at xxxmph, while 5th gear stops at xxxmph ( where 4th gear stops ) + ymph ( whatever the vehicle tops out at ).

You top out ur car in ur HIGHEST GEAR, thus the reason for having shift points and gears in the first place....
"L" and "I" is also for acceleration -- it increases internal line pressure and assists the low one way clutch -- all automatics do this.
Try contacting TCI, B&M, and any other company that builds performance trannies -- they'll recommend "L" on the track. I know this because I wrote an article on racing automatics 20 years ago and contacted several companies for input. I never trusted manual guys for auto advice
Old 07-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ssweeet
The auto tranny does not limit when you shift in this way. The tranny still switches gears and knows when to shift gears even if you hold the car in one position and it redlines. I don't see any potential harm in doing so.

Put ur car in L, and try and top it out. Tell me what happens. Tell me L doesnt limit ur top speed. U have no clue what ur talking about, especially trying to change gears in a auto.

Unless the car is setup to do so, dont do it. Besides that, do you honestly think its going to make the car any faster from a dig? Seriously, the amount of time it takes you slam the auto tranny into gear ( like ur not supposed to ), vs just putting it in D makes up for any difference in speed.

If you wanted to change gears GET A F*CKING STICK.

"L" and "I" is also for acceleration -- it increases internal line pressure and assists the low one way clutch -- all automatics do this.
Try contacting TCI, B&M, and any other company that builds performance trannies -- they'll recommend "L" on the track. I know this because I wrote an article on racing automatics 20 years ago and contacted several companies for input. I never trusted manual guys for auto advice
you wrote an article 20 YEARS AGO. Thats a HUGE time and technology lapse. Not to mention, it could have been a highschool project that you called some companies on. BIG DEAL. Let me get Yellow in here. He has an auto GT in the 10's. He will be able to elaborate to you more than I can.

HE DOESNT HAVE A PERFORMANCE TRANNY.

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 07-18-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't shift autos except move it between L I and D nuff said.

+1
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Put ur car in L, and try and top it out. Tell me what happens. Tell me L doesnt limit ur top speed. U have no clue what ur talking about, especially trying to change gears in a auto.

Unless the car is setup to do so, dont do it. Besides that, do you honestly think its going to make the car any faster from a dig? Seriously, the amount of time it takes you slam the auto tranny into gear ( like ur not supposed to ), vs just putting it in D makes up for any difference in speed.

you wrote an article 20 YEARS AGO. Thats a HUGE time and technology lapse. Not to mention, it could have been a highschool project that you called some companies on. BIG DEAL. Let me get Yellow in here. He has an auto GT in the 10's. He will be able to elaborate to you more than I can.

HE DOESNT HAVE A PERFORMANCE TRANNY.
Once again I must come on here to educate my ignorant manual Cobalt owner bretheren. I'll write this slowly so you can read it too:
If you leave the tranny in "I" or "D" and you get wheel spin the ECM will reduce power (It is commomly referred to as Traction Control) and your acceleration suffers. By putting it in "L" it disables the Traction Control!

And additionally, my ignorant manual shifting brother, the subject is about SHIFTING the auto not leaving it in "L".

Where you position the shifter determines how much power is available. Please educate yourself, maybe a few books on late model automatics will help. that's what I've been reading.

And I drove my Cobalt around today and moved the shifter constantly between "L", "I", and "D". Knowing you're out there I will do it even more.....

Quick Reply: How To Shift With An Auto 2.4?