Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

LNF's with KY stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vahdyx
I see this then I see peps saying it feels like stock.

This is why I'm worried about this clutch.

When does it disengage?
Hmm I think it engages just like stock(placement wise) however it is more grabby. It's definitely not a difficult clutch to use in any way.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Glad everything is going well for you!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Rissa
Hmm I think it engages just like stock(placement wise) however it is more grabby. It's definitely not a difficult clutch to use in any way.
Okay so easing forward say like at a track light or to get up a ramp slowly isn't an issue?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM

Oh not at all.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i can't wait to pick one up
I need it. . .
Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 AM

I've been riding on this clutch since Feb I think. Have put a good amount of miles on it, probably over 3k. It's a fantastic clutch. I have stalled it about 3 times in total so it's not super difficult in traffic.

Mine does chatter on decel but that's it. None at idle or anywhere else. I also get the squeak as it engages in first and I start to move. Not sure why but it hasn't affected the performance at all.

Be warned though, it grabs VERY well and holds even better which if you're making more than 400ft lbs, look for Trans pieces on the road from your car.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I see this then I see peps saying it feels like stock.

This is why I'm worried about this clutch.

When does it disengage?
So due to me completely losing any and all resistance in the clutch pedal this weekend, I was forced to do some troubleshooting. Long and short of it, I found that the clutch pipe elbow (the 90* elbow right on top of the trans, not the clutch pipe itself) was actually leaking and periodically sucking air. This is what was giving me the super low grab on the clutch. Once I rebled the system yet again the clutch felt awesome.... for about 15 minutes.. lol. It then went back to the way it was due to air getting into the system again, but I sort of expected that anyways.

So needless to say it's not an issue with the clutch, and a new elbow is already on order.

Get the clutch man! It's a great upgrade. Just be sure to get all new hardware, flywheel and clutch pipe for the install and you'll be golden
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Yeah now all I have to worry about is my transmission...lol.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 PM

No more NLS? :P
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
So due to me completely losing any and all resistance in the clutch pedal this weekend, I was forced to do some troubleshooting. Long and short of it, I found that the clutch pipe elbow (the 90* elbow right on top of the trans, not the clutch pipe itself) was actually leaking and periodically sucking air. This is what was giving me the super low grab on the clutch. Once I rebled the system yet again the clutch felt awesome.... for about 15 minutes.. lol. It then went back to the way it was due to air getting into the system again, but I sort of expected that anyways.

So needless to say it's not an issue with the clutch, and a new elbow is already on order.

Get the clutch man! It's a great upgrade. Just be sure to get all new hardware, flywheel and clutch pipe for the install and you'll be golden
I'm a little confused here... The part that sticks up out of the Trans that connects to the feed from the master cyl IS the clutch pipe. It bends a couple times. Have a picture of what you're talking about?

Edit: Are you talking about the connector itself that mates the pipe to the master cyl line? Did you lose the little black gasket that's in there?

Last edited by Frogstofall; 05-22-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM

And what does this mean? Dammit, I was feeling less paranoid then I see this and the other guy meaning no more NLS.

I'm okay with not NLS'ing, I don't do it anyway, but what about hard shifting on stock transmission?

I have about if not over 400wtq.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:45 PM

And what does this mean? Dammit, I was feeling less paranoid then I see this and the other guy meaning no more NLS.

I'm okay with not NLS'ing, I don't do it anyway, but what about hard shifting on stock transmission?

I have about if not over 400wtq.
It's part of modding cars. Gotta live with the reality of things breaking. Can't have one without the other.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Yup..just gotta see what happens. Having no traction helps tho haha.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots and lots of torque and no slip in the transmission means the torque gotta go somewhere else. Axles on an LNF are pretty strong but that thing in the middle - not so much. Having no traction will help the transmission a bit.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:21 PM

I love mine. I have no chatter.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 AM

The trans is stout I mean the stock turbo torque curve just hits so hard when you are making power and you are rough on it yes you can damage it from what I have read and been told by people. Everyone I know that has blown up a trans makes at least 350 wtq and like to nls. The problem can go away with a bigger turbo lol. But I love my clutch I get the squeel from time to time to I thought I was the only one
Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Frogstofall
I'm a little confused here... The part that sticks up out of the Trans that connects to the feed from the master cyl IS the clutch pipe. It bends a couple times. Have a picture of what you're talking about?

Edit: Are you talking about the connector itself that mates the pipe to the master cyl line? Did you lose the little black gasket that's in there?
Yeah it's this little guy right here.... Ecotec Clutch Pipe Elbow 24252286

The nipple is definitely on the clutch pipe but for whatever reason it's sucking in some air from time to time. I believe it's an issue with the bleeder port though. When I pump up my vacuum pump with the bleeder snugged tight you can still see air bubbling into the pump reservoir. I definitely tested my pump too so I know that's not my issue.

The part is coming in tonight so I'll check back with my results.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM

I just found out the other day that I Dont have the LSD Tranny But if you dont NLS on these Trannys and if I'm makin 320WHP/380TQ should I be ok?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM

I don't think it makes a difference. Clutch is fully broken in now I think...and jeez it's been years since the car's felt this good lol.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ok so I figured I'd give a quick update to the low clutch pedal crab issue I was having, and the results of me swapping out the clutch pipe elbow that tested bad. (I hope I'm not thread jacking you btw Rissa. It IS kys3 related and all.... .... but if I am.... I'm sorry.. )

The new pipe elbow came in today, and upon removing the old elbow there's absolutely no doubt that the issue was indeed a leaking bleeder port. Once I installed the new one, bled it out and took it for a nice long drive in the back roads, oh man what a difference. The engagement is FINALLY like it should be (basically stock), and I no longer look like a baffoon with almost stalling the car out everytime I drive it! lol

I made a very quick video of how to test the bleeder port and what to look for when doing so. Don't mind the crappy video.... I'm very aware of my less than steller ability to make a quality video.. .... anyways here it is..

Bad ecotec clutch pipe elbow - YouTube
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 AM

KY and rissa in the same sentence *trollface*

Anyways do most ppl go with a resurfaced/new stock flywheel, or upgrade or what?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Resident Post Whore/Troll

i resurfaced my stock flywheel, put in a new TOB with it too. So far so good for me I'm still breaking mine in lol but it chatters a lot
Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM

no one else? no one has matched a ky clutch to a diff flywheel?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Ok so I figured I'd give a quick update to the low clutch pedal crab issue I was having, and the results of me swapping out the clutch pipe elbow that tested bad. (I hope I'm not thread jacking you btw Rissa. It IS kys3 related and all.... .... but if I am.... I'm sorry.. )

The new pipe elbow came in today, and upon removing the old elbow there's absolutely no doubt that the issue was indeed a leaking bleeder port. Once I installed the new one, bled it out and took it for a nice long drive in the back roads, oh man what a difference. The engagement is FINALLY like it should be (basically stock), and I no longer look like a baffoon with almost stalling the car out everytime I drive it! lol

I made a very quick video of how to test the bleeder port and what to look for when doing so. Don't mind the crappy video.... I'm very aware of my less than steller ability to make a quality video.. .... anyways here it is..

Bad ecotec clutch pipe elbow - YouTube
hmmm did you lose all your fluid on the ground??
i just recently experienced clutch issues and being told my slave has failed, the pressure comes back periodically, doesn't really hold long and the pedal engages all the way at the floor, but did notice that all my dot3 leaks out of the car
Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM

cant decide if I want the stage 3 or 4

Quick Reply: LNF's with KY stage 3