Is a lsd transmission a direct bolt on for a lnf - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Specific Technical Discussion > Drivetrain
Is a lsd transmission a direct bolt on for a lnf >

Is a lsd transmission a direct bolt on for a lnf

Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Is a lsd transmission a direct bolt on for a lnf

Old 11-23-2018, 03:21 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 12-12-16
Location: Oxford pa
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is a lsd transmission a direct bolt on for a lnf

My transmission went and Iíve been looking for a replacement but all Iíve found is a guy with a lsd transmission and just want to make sure this will bolt right up I already have a new clutch and flywheel to just want to make sure that I donít need any special flywheel or anything to make it work
Eddy1634 is offline  
Old 11-23-2018, 03:56 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 03-27-11
Location: butler,pa
Posts: 670
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
As long as its an F35 trans from Cobalt it should bolt right up. The 4.05 ratio in the supercharged cars is the preferable one, it will take more abuse. Dont forget new flywheel bolts as they are torque to yield and also a new throw out bearing and clutch pipe.
cw383 is offline  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:23 PM
  #3  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 12-12-16
Location: Oxford pa
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cw383 View Post
As long as its an F35 trans from Cobalt it should bolt right up. The 4.05 ratio in the supercharged cars is the preferable one, it will take more abuse. Dont forget new flywheel bolts as they are torque to yield and also a new throw out bearing and clutch pipe.
i bought the bolts, tob, and clutch pipe already so thatís taken care of so the transmission off a lsj cobalt just hook right up as well only difference being the gear ratios because I saw some local around me that were cheaper then that lsd so if that will work I might just pick up one of those
Eddy1634 is offline  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:37 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 03-27-11
Location: butler,pa
Posts: 670
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Is it your daily driver even in winter, or a summer only car? LSD makes a big difference come winter.
cw383 is offline  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:45 PM
  #5  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 12-12-16
Location: Oxford pa
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cw383 View Post
Is it your daily driver even in winter, or a summer only car? LSD makes a big difference come winter.
itís my daily driver even in winter as well
Eddy1634 is offline  
Old 11-23-2018, 06:43 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,166
Thanked 264 Times in 249 Posts
I would get the trans with the lsd, regardless of the ratio.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 AM
  #7  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-18
Location: Canada*is
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also interested in this this thread as I'm wondering the specifis regarding putting an lsj f35 in an Lnf .... Like what clutch to use an etc! There was something that had different amount of bolts used etc. ???
Miltb is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:09 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,166
Thanked 264 Times in 249 Posts
You can put a 4.05 lsj trans in a lnf that came stock with a 3.82 setup. Clutches also interchange. The only issue is some lsj flywheels aren't bored exactly the same as a lnf. As long as you get a lnf flywheel everything will swap just fine. Personally if you aren't high hp the upgraded lsj clutch kit it a good kit also called gmpp. A stock lnf clutch setup is also very close and a good inexpensive clutch.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:14 AM
  #9  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-18
Location: Canada*is
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
You can put a 4.05 lsj trans in a lnf that came stock with a 3.82 setup. Clutches also interchange. The only issue is some lsj flywheels aren't bored exactly the same as a lnf. As long as you get a lnf flywheel everything will swap just fine. Personally if you aren't high hp the upgraded lsj clutch kit it a good kit also called gmpp. A stock lnf clutch setup is also very close and a good inexpensive clutch.
​​​​​​So basically I'll need:
​​​​​​- Lnf flywheel. I assume I'll need a new one when replacing the clutch.
- lnf TOB
- Bully stage 1 clutch for lnf.
AND THATS IT FOR SWAPPING??

also why does this site always auto-incorrect ????
Miltb is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,322
Thanked 373 Times in 330 Posts
flywheel bolts, clutch pipe.

You have to use a new flywheel, the tolerance for resurfacing is nothing.
ECaulk is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 01:35 PM
  #11  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-18
Location: Canada*is
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk View Post
flywheel bolts, clutch pipe.

You have to use a new flywheel, the tolerance for resurfacing is nothing.
Okay thanks. lnf bolts and clutch pipe? And lnf flywheel is best or bully flywheel?

Where can I find these parts and part numbers for all the parts needed??
Miltb is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 08:47 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,166
Thanked 264 Times in 249 Posts
What is a bully flywheel? Never heard of one. Just get an lnf flywheel off of ZZP. Or a luk flywheel from rock auto I believe. Make sure the kit you get includes pressure plate bolts and an alignment tool really helps also. Think the gmpp kit includes it if you decide to go away from the "bully" setup. Which again I've never heard of.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:47 PM
  #13  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-18
Location: Canada*is
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
What is a bully flywheel? Never heard of one. Just get an lnf flywheel off of ZZP. Or a luk flywheel from rock auto I believe. Make sure the kit you get includes pressure plate bolts and an alignment tool really helps also. Think the gmpp kit includes it if you decide to go away from the "bully" setup. Which again I've never heard of.
Well I'm sure GMPP is good .... And if it includes most of the stuff I need for a decent piece than that may be the way to go .... Is it for the lsj or lnf??

http://www.bullyclutch.com

My friend has a bully on his 07 ion 2.4 and it's great.

Far right column is the part number for the flywheel.


Miltb is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 AM
  #14  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-18
Location: Canada*is
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
K so .... What's the difference between part 55560938 (G85 4.05) and 55563239 (ditto) ....
apparently the latter part number replaces the former part number but it's the same thing.
Is there any differences?

Miltb is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 03:27 PM
  #15  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-18
Location: Canada*is
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump
?
​​​​​​
Miltb is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:45 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,166
Thanked 264 Times in 249 Posts
Couldn't tell you, never purchased one from a company, only from a fellow cobalt owner. Where are you getting it from?
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:01 PM
  #17  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-18
Location: Canada*is
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
Couldn't tell you, never purchased one from a company, only from a fellow cobalt owner. Where are you getting it from?
I've bought the older version .... Just wonder if there's anything different. Regarding using it on my Lnf. Why was the part number changed if it's the same etc ??? ....
Basically the older version plate has no 4.05 printed on it.
Says LSD and part number though.


Miltb is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 08:48 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,166
Thanked 264 Times in 249 Posts
Gear ratio should be in the gray area. Need to make sure it's from a cobalt as some of the early redline trans won't work. Use the search on here as I think there are some interchangeability topics. Something about the reluctor wheel not working with the speedometer setup in the cobalt.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 10:38 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 10-27-07
Location: Abbotsford BC, Canada
Posts: 5,358
Thanked 163 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
Gear ratio should be in the gray area. Need to make sure it's from a cobalt as some of the early redline trans won't work. Use the search on here as I think there are some interchangeability topics. Something about the reluctor wheel not working with the speedometer setup in the cobalt.
the 2004 ion redline did not have a vehicle speed sensor in the transmission, it was mounted on the steady bearing and the passenger side jack shaft had a reluctor on it that it. the 04 ion redline trans will not work in any 05+ cars. and no, running the 04 ion redline jackshaft assembly doesnt work, the reluctor wheel is a very different tooth count.
Sharkey is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 12:09 PM
  #20  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-18
Location: Canada*is
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
Gear ratio should be in the gray area. Need to make sure it's from a cobalt as some of the early redline trans won't work. Use the search on here as I think there are some interchangeability topics. Something about the reluctor wheel not working with the speedometer setup in the cobalt.
Thanks I'll try and clean the plate a but more .... As well as the rest of the gross area.

It's from a G85 spec LSJ that was a numbered car and unfortunately got written off. It was an amazing blue color.
Thankfully I don't have to worry about it being from the slightly odd early redlines.
Miltb is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
southal cobalt
Parts
7
11-24-2014 09:10 PM
dietztho000
Parts
2
01-01-2012 06:12 PM
Rodimus_Prime
Suspension
27
04-07-2010 05:56 PM
bernandovelasquez
2.0L LSJ Performance Tech
13
02-04-2009 06:11 PM
ikeryder13
Parts
0
02-11-2008 09:07 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a lsd transmission a direct bolt on for a lnf


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.