the OFFICIAL aftermarket clutch thread - Page 5 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Specific Technical Discussion > Drivetrain
the OFFICIAL aftermarket clutch thread >

the OFFICIAL aftermarket clutch thread

Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

the OFFICIAL aftermarket clutch thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:53 PM
  #101  
Member
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: South NJ
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gonna try to bump this again because I'm also in need of a new clutch
ROB517 is offline  
Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 AM
  #102  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-15-12
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,979
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
4-500 whp, go for the south bend stage 4
tuned08ss is offline  
Old 01-17-2016, 05:18 PM
  #103  
Member
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: South NJ
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was looking into clutch masters stage 4, 6 puck. I've never driven anything with a 6 puck and want to know if you guys are getting any chatter with it and if you would recommend it for a daily driver. I'd prefer not to spend an extra 250 bucks on the southbend.
ROB517 is offline  
Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 PM
  #104  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,160
Thanked 264 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB517 View Post
I was looking into clutch masters stage 4, 6 puck. I've never driven anything with a 6 puck and want to know if you guys are getting any chatter with it and if you would recommend it for a daily driver. I'd prefer not to spend an extra 250 bucks on the southbend.
I have no experience with them but from what I have read the 6 puck isn't the most daily driver friendly as it doesn't really slip much. Most all say to use full face for daily use.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 PM
  #105  
Member
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: South NJ
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
I have no experience with them but from what I have read the 6 puck isn't the most daily driver friendly as it doesn't really slip much. Most all say to use full face for daily use.
That's what I was thinking, but I've read a few reviews saying people dd them.
ROB517 is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 08:15 AM
  #106  
Senior Member
iTrader: (16)
 
blueLNFftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-22-12
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,398
Thanked 78 Times in 64 Posts
I have a custom OTTP + style clutch. It wont help much to post about it here since only 2 were made and they no longer can be, but it is amazing! It drives like a GMPP but grips like an expensive escort on an old, fat rich dude's wallet.
blueLNFftw is offline  
Old 06-22-2016, 07:08 PM
  #107  
New Member
 
Join Date: 06-21-16
Location: bailey colorado
Posts: 16
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalmedic View Post
thanks.... i need me a new clutch and i think u jst won...lol
Yep, this one won.
Ashlen Satori Morgan is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 11:46 AM
  #108  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 09-28-14
Location: Ft. Myers
Posts: 2,113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
***my experience*** I had a 6 puck clutch in my car and it chattered all the time. I wanna say it was a clutchmasters(chatter masters) clutch. Engagement was shitty but now I have southbend stage 4+ with fidenza aluminum flywheel and it's very smooth and very drivable. Haven't hit boost on it yet because I just now broke it in. Rev matching is much easier and less jerky (can't even feel it a lot of times)

Spend the extra money for a southbend, you won't regret it.
no_ss is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 PM
  #109  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 01-30-13
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,758
Thanked 127 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by no_ss
***my experience*** I had a 6 puck clutch in my car and it chattered all the time. I wanna say it was a clutchmasters(chatter masters) clutch. Engagement was shitty but now I have southbend stage 4+ with fidenza aluminum flywheel and it's very smooth and very drivable. Haven't hit boost on it yet because I just now broke it in. Rev matching is much easier and less jerky (can't even feel it a lot of times)

Spend the extra money for a southbend, you won't regret it.
This

I have the same setup. Drivability is great even with the aluminum flywheel.
double clutch is offline  
Old 07-31-2016, 01:55 AM
  #110  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: 08-07-08
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,497
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Has anyone has any reivews or opinions of the ZZP clutch kit for the F23???
Or knows of someone that is using them?
Can't get to find anyone using it.
DFZ24 is offline  
Old 09-03-2016, 11:19 AM
  #111  
New Member
 
Join Date: 10-24-15
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DFZ24 View Post
Has anyone has any reivews or opinions of the ZZP clutch kit for the F23???
Or knows of someone that is using them?
Can't get to find anyone using it.
I also am interested in anyone who has anything to say about the ZZP f23 2.2L clutch.
Kozybe is offline  
Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 PM
  #112  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-07
Location: Boston
Posts: 461
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kozybe View Post
I also am interested in anyone who has anything to say about the ZZP f23 2.2L clutch.
Same here
ml2242 is offline  
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 PM
  #113  
Member
 
Join Date: 04-08-07
Location: Urbana, OH
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
CAR- LNF
CLUTCH- GMPP
FLYWHEEL- Luk stock replacement
MILES ON CLUTCH- 15
DRIVING IMPRESSION- pedal is softer than South Bend, engagement is too smooth. I don't feel like I'm driving a performance vehicle. Hoping it will snap a little once broken in.
RECOMMENDATION- At the moment, no. But I prefer firmer clutch pedals and and quick engagement. If you like a stock feel, this is it. It's a Saab 9-5 clutch, so it can handle some power. Saab liked to over-build their vehicles.
yellow_cobalt is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 04:07 PM
  #114  
New Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-17
Location: NJ
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm posting here instead of starting a new post I see all the post here are pretty old but hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

so I'm building a kit car and the car total weight with drivetrain is around 1500lbs I have an lnf with a mu3 trans my question what do you guys recommend for a clutch and flywheel should I go lightweight, what stage ,brand etc right now I'm at stock power but looking to maybe crank it up to 300 to 400 any opinions would be appreciated
Dave8699 is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 PM
  #115  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 12-07-09
Location: The Desert
Posts: 1,347
Thanked 63 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave8699 View Post
So I'm posting here instead of starting a new post I see all the post here are pretty old but hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

so I'm building a kit car and the car total weight with drivetrain is around 1500lbs I have an lnf with a mu3 trans my question what do you guys recommend for a clutch and flywheel should I go lightweight, what stage ,brand etc right now I'm at stock power but looking to maybe crank it up to 300 to 400 any opinions would be appreciated
New stock clutch, LuK flywheel and you'll be golden. The factory clutch can hold quite a bit.
T-Man is offline  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:39 PM
  #116  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
06blackbalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-28-06
Location: JEANERETTE,LA
Posts: 1,434
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The gmpp also holds a good bit I am at 470whp with 480wtq an the gmpp is holding like a champ with multiple dyno sessions an track nights
06blackbalt is offline  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:42 PM
  #117  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 07-21-13
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 526
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackbalt View Post
The gmpp also holds a good bit I am at 470whp with 480wtq an the gmpp is holding like a champ with multiple dyno sessions an track nights
Does this clutch also work on lnf cars? ive seen posts both ways.
Kobraa is offline  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:45 PM
  #118  
New Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-17
Location: NJ
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackbalt View Post
The gmpp also holds a good bit I am at 470whp with 480wtq an the gmpp is holding like a champ with multiple dyno sessions an track nights
what flywheel are you using and what TOB where did you order it from
Dave8699 is offline  
Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 PM
  #119  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-18-15
Location: DeKalb, Illinois
Posts: 589
Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobraa View Post
Does this clutch also work on lnf cars? ive seen posts both ways.
It does, but if you get a flywheel with small dowels(99% sure you'd get one), you'll have to play with it to center it. Easiest method is a white Bic pen cut into pieces.

I currently have one, with shy of 20k miles, of which ~5-6k have been with a Z54 turbo. Still holds great, can't beat it for the price.
Tdubbs is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tdubbs For This Useful Post:
Kobraa (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:00 AM
  #120  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 07-21-13
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 526
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tdubbs View Post
It does, but if you get a flywheel with small dowels(99% sure you'd get one), you'll have to play with it to center it. Easiest method is a white Bic pen cut into pieces.

I currently have one, with shy of 20k miles, of which ~5-6k have been with a Z54 turbo. Still holds great, can't beat it for the price.
And just put the pen over the dowels to help center? Thanks for info, z54 is the route im headed towards so thats good info.
Kobraa is offline  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:18 PM
  #121  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-18-15
Location: DeKalb, Illinois
Posts: 589
Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobraa View Post
And just put the pen over the dowels to help center? Thanks for info, z54 is the route im headed towards so thats good info.
Yup, haven't heard of anyone having issues by doing it that way. I think CED has a picture with the pens in place on their website.

And the Z54 spools slower than a ZFR, so even without a boost ramp it comes in so smoothly that so far(I just cursed myself )it holds nicely. I'm not too worried though, guys with heavier torque hits are still rocking the GMPP and it's still holding.
Tdubbs is offline  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM
  #122  
New Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-17
Location: NJ
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you guys referring to ced part # 19212712
If that's the one is there a reason why it said not to use it on lfn engines because they recommend part # 24239996k
and are you guys just using stock flywheel or can I go with a fidanza aluminium flywheel or is that not recommended
Dave8699 is offline  
Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 PM
  #123  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-18-15
Location: DeKalb, Illinois
Posts: 589
Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave8699 View Post
Are you guys referring to ced part # 19212712
If that's the one is there a reason why it said not to use it on lfn engines because they recommend part # 24239996k
and are you guys just using stock flywheel or can I go with a fidanza aluminium flywheel or is that not recommended
Yes, 19212712 is correct. The warning against LNF installs is due to warranty reasons. As to using the Fidanza, you could if you wanted to, but most have just stuck with a steel flywheel(myself included).
Tdubbs is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 PM
  #124  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,160
Thanked 264 Times in 249 Posts
I would just get the gmpp kit ( I run it on my lnf with no issues) and the luk flywheel and call it good. Kit comes with the lnf tob. Don't forget flywheel bolts as they are torque to yield and are not recommended to reuse.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 PM
  #125  
New Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-17
Location: NJ
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm installing a gmpp clutch kit and a luk LFW285 flywheel my question is instead of paying $50 for oem flywheel bolts has anyone used the arp 209-2801 bolts with no if yes do you still torque them down to the same specs as oem
Dave8699 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
06MetallicBalt
Mid East
7
06-14-2016 02:17 PM
Zharrington_2010LNF
2.0L LNF Performance Tech
21
02-08-2016 01:43 PM
RaginChopsuey
War Stories
16
10-27-2015 01:27 PM
SSLOW06
Complete Cars
1
10-01-2015 07:21 PM
Tupp
Suspension
5
09-30-2015 08:18 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the OFFICIAL aftermarket clutch thread


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.