Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Trans problem....any help is appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans problem....any help is appreciated

New axle seals too

Needs washed, I know.

Ok I got an 06 ss sc g85 I just bought about a month ago for 400$ because the trans was locked up and he needed money, and he couldn't fix it himself. The kid even bought another "rebuilt" trans and gave to me with the car. Cars in great shape, just needed a few small things and a trans. The new trans he gave me seemed to work ok. The input shaft spun at slower speeds as I shifted using the gear selectors on top of the trans and there was no play in the input shaft so I figured it was ok. I bought a ton of parts and replaced all the wheel bearings, brakes, calipers and rotors, sway bar, sb end links, zzp stage 3 kit with 2.8 pulley #60 injectors and option b dual pass endplate, cold air intake, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, coil packs, new oil, filter and antifreeze, supercharger intake gasket, South bend stage 3 clutch, upgraded throw out bearing, hydraulic pipe and hydraulic clutch elbow, silicone radiator hoses, shorty header and gasket, fuel filter, head gasket, arp head studs.......oh and new tires and a battery. I replaced a ton of stuff, probably forgetting a few small things. Anyways replaced all these parts along with this trans he gave me. Bled the clutch and brakes. Started it up, runs phenomenal. Put about 30 miles on it. Shifted beautifully, no grinds, clutch engaging and disenguaging perfectly, nothing leaking, no noises, ran perfectly. Was planning on registering/inspecting it Monday and starting to daily drive it. Took it for a drive today and came back to the house, put it in reverse and parked it. Then about 2 hours later I jumped in it, pushed the clutch in, turned the key and as soon as it fired up I heard a very small sound that lasted about 2 seconds, sounded like metal tapping real fast against another piece of metal...it wasn't loud and the car didn't move at all. So I put the car in neutral and was going to let it warm up so I pulled the ebrake and as I released the clutch pedal the motor began to bog down like it had a load on it.....while it was in neutral....the car didn't try to move, it was in neutral, and the car is bogging down as I released the clutch. I tried releasing the clutch a few times and it stalled....in neutral. So then I put it in first (it went in like normal, felt like it went into gear) but it did the same thing. The car wouldn't move at all, wouldn't even try. I can shift through all the gears and they all feel like they're going into gear with the shifter, but it does the same thing in all gears. I did notice that reverse now has a little issue going in with the shifter. Shifting in like normal ( not forcing it) it takes 3 or 4 tries for the shifter to go into reverse, but it still just boggs the engine down (and yes I'm lifting the safety collar, and I removed the boot to make sure the safety wasn't catching or messing up). I had someone else push the clutch in and I watched through the the hole in the bell housing behind the oil cooler to see if the clutch is engaging/disenguaging and it's working flawlessly. No hydraulic fluid leaking anywhere. The two sensors are plugged in on top of the trans, and the shifter cables are working and connected to the gear selectors as they should, and I watched the gear selectors move as someone else sat in the car and shifted gears.... Everything I've done is working perfectly, but the car won't even try to move. I'm guessing it's something internally in the trans and it's preventing the input shaft from spinning? Also it doesn't make any noise when I let out on the clutch with the car running, it just bogs the engine down and stalls, reguardless of rpms.....thoughts?? And no, the ebrake isn't on smartass....I'm new to the site so hopefully this is the right place to post this. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Last edited by Phillip Dodson; 12-17-2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
When it bogs is it trying to move your car at all? Like if you put it in fifth from a start you probably wouldn't get it rolling but you could feel it trying. If it's going into gear correctly I would think it would have to be internally in your transmission.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
It sounds an aweful lot like something is creating high resistance in your trans. Like it want shimmed properly and started rubbing or something.
If you basically dump the clutch will it move or does it just big and stall?
Old 12-17-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
When it bogs is it trying to move your car at all? Like if you put it in fifth from a start you probably wouldn't get it rolling but you could feel it trying. If it's going into gear correctly I would think it would have to be internally in your transmission.
Nope the car doesn't even try to move. I can rev 3000rpms and dump the clutch and it just dies, car doesn't try to move.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
It sounds an aweful lot like something is creating high resistance in your trans. Like it want shimmed properly and started rubbing or something.
If you basically dump the clutch will it move or does it just big and stall?
I dumped it at 3000rpms and it just stalls. I was thinking the same thing, like something inside the trans won't allow anything to move
Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Will the car roll if you push it in neutral?
Old 12-19-2017, 02:16 AM

Ok so with the car off I put it in neutral and the car rolls free. I put it in first an it doesn't move, I can rock it back and forth and can tell that it's actually in gear. I put it in all the gears and as I went through the gears I could tell the amount of movement was more and more that it would rock back and forth (more movement with higher gears). I put it in reverse and it would only rock back and forth about the same amount as first gear. This is leading me to think the gears are working...however (with the car off) when i put it in gear, push in the clutch (which should allow it to roll free even if it's in gear) it will not move, it will only rock back and forth like it's in gear....I realize this points fingers at the clutch but I can visibly see the clutch and throwout bearing moving with a good range of motion when the clutch is applied through a hole in the bell housing....not to mention that when the car is running and I try to release the clutch it will stall the engine....if the clutch were bad it wouldn't have enough clamp force to stall the running engine, especially when I raise the rpms....so I believe the clutch is working properly, and I believe it's going into gear properly....but I don't think my input shaft is spinning. I don't know anything about trans internals but I'm assuming the input shaft is in a bearing and I'm wondering if that input shaft bearing hasn't somehow seized and won't allow the input shaft to move...causing my engine to stall when I release the clutch.....we'll find out tomorrow, I jacked the car up and got it about half done so I should have the trans out tomorrow evening after work
Old 12-19-2017, 02:19 AM

Now that I'm thinking about it that doesn't make sense either because it rolls with the clutch released and car off in neutral...if the input shaft weren't spinning it wouldn't allow it to move in neutral either.....wtf?.....
Old 12-19-2017, 02:33 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
with the car in neutral the input shaft wouldnt spin if you rolled the car, the only thing that spins in the counter shaft and differential.

to me it sounds like the input shaft is seized up, likely one of the bearings. could have been from improperly rebuilt.

what type of oil did you put in the trans?
Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
with the car in neutral the input shaft wouldnt spin if you rolled the car, the only thing that spins in the counter shaft and differential.

to me it sounds like the input shaft is seized up, likely one of the bearings. could have been from improperly rebuilt.

what type of oil did you put in the trans?
Ok that makes sense then. And I didnt put any oil in it but I checked it before I put the trans in and it was full, looked like a fairly thick oil but not sure exactly what oil or viscosity. Are you calling the shaft that goes through the clutch and pressure plate the counter shaft? I thought that was referred to as the input shaft....
EDIT: I see what you're saying now. With the car on and in neutral the input shaft SHOULD be to be spinning with the flywheel, providing that the clutch pedal is released and clamping the pressure plate to the flywheel....my problem is the opposite, the input shaft will not spin with the flywheel while in neutral....so the reason that it rolls while in neutral with the engine off and clutch released is because the flywheel isn't trying to turn the input shaft, because the engine is off.. so the input shaft must be siezed.....thanks

Last edited by Phillip Dodson; 12-19-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Phillip Dodson
Ok that makes sense then. And I didnt put any oil in it but I checked it before I put the trans in and it was full, looked like a fairly thick oil but not sure exactly what oil or viscosity. Are you calling the shaft that goes through the clutch and pressure plate the counter shaft? I thought that was referred to as the input shaft....
EDIT: I see what you're saying now. With the car on and in neutral the input shaft SHOULD be to be spinning with the flywheel, providing that the clutch pedal is released and clamping the pressure plate to the flywheel....my problem is the opposite, the input shaft will not spin with the flywheel while in neutral....so the reason that it rolls while in neutral with the engine off and clutch released is because the flywheel isn't trying to turn the input shaft, because the engine is off.. so the input shaft must be siezed.....thanks
There's no way you could have put the trans in without needing to add fluid after install. It would have poured out of the axle holes.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by exninja
There's no way you could have put the trans in without needing to add fluid after install. It would have poured out of the axle holes.
exactly. the oil level is half way up the axle holes. with all the moving the trans around to get it installed it would likely have spilled all the oil had it been full and would have had less than 1/2 a quart in it.

since it had no oil in it, throw that transmission away, dont even bother trying to fix it. ive tried to repair transmissions that have been run with no oil, the amount of heat generated causes the gears to gaul, and no matter what you do the transmission will always be noisy.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:13 PM

I checked the ******* drain....wtf was I thinking....
Old 12-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Consider it an expensive lesson that won't happen again. It happens.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
BTW the second pic you posted is a non LSD trans
Old 12-19-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by royce777
BTW the second pic you posted is a non LSD trans
How can you tell? That was the new trans that the kid gave me with the car. He said the trans had never been changed before so I'd say the trans I took out had the lsd but I didn't know how to tell if the new one had lsd
Old 12-19-2017, 04:17 PM

if you look in where the axles go you can see its a open diff.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:30 PM

if you look in where the axles go you can see its a open diff.
So if it's lsd I won't be able to see any light on the other side at all?
Old 12-19-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Phillip Dodson
So if it's lsd I won't be able to see any light on the other side at all?
pretty much yes. the LSDs are solid in the hole.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:01 PM

pretty much yes. the LSDs are solid in the hole.
Ok I didnt know that, I'll look when I get home, thanks