Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

What transmissions are used for the 2.2L and 2.0L SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What transmissions are used for the 2.2L and 2.0L SC?

Hello,

I'm new here and although I don't have a Cobalt, I came here for your expertise. I'm looking to buy either the 2.2L or 2.0L SC as a crate motor for a project, BUT, each engine comes with a manual transmission as part of the deal and I need an automatic transmission.

So, I understand that the manual transmission used is a Getrag and I'm *assuming* that the Automatic transmission is Getrag as well. That said, which Getrag Automatic Transmission is it?

Is it one of these http://www.getrag.de/312.1?_search_=..._=0&_offset_=0 ??

Also, what Getrag model manual transmission is used?

Thanks so much for your time!

Brad
Old 07-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The standard automatic is a 4T45e.

If i were you, if you plan on doing a race setup, the 4T65e is a transmission better suited for race applications since it can handle more power out of the box.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:47 PM

The only one that comes with an auto would be the 2.2, not sure who makes it, I thought it was GM, but I could be wrong. The manual for the 2.2 is Getrag, but the manual used in the 2.0 is an FGP out of the SAAB 9-3.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:56 PM

The automatic transmission that is bolted both to the 2.2 and 2.4 are General Motors hydramatic brand. The manual in the SS/SC I thought was still a Getrag, cause thats the designation that comes up when I run the option code. The differences between the 2.2/2.4 getrag and 2.0 getrag that I know of where the final drive ratio and the case has different mounting locations.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
The SS/SC tranny, at least mine, has FGP stamped right on it all over the place. Just like the engine says SAAB in many places.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Well, what I'm doing is putting this into a kit car. So one of my big concerns is room/space. The car comes with the Manual but the reason I have this question is to see if the Automatic transmission will fit in the same space? What do you guys think considering some of you have probably seen both?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:00 PM

The Automatic shouldn't be too much larger.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by montecarloman
The manual in the SS/SC I thought was still a Getrag, cause thats the designation that comes up when I run the option code.
It is not, it's an FGP (Fiat GM Powertrain) transmission, NOT a Getrag.

Originally Posted by cleanme
Well, what I'm doing is putting this into a kit car. So one of my big concerns is room/space. The car comes with the Manual but the reason I have this question is to see if the Automatic transmission will fit in the same space? What do you guys think considering some of you have probably seen both?
The auto is a straight bolt up to the 2.2. As for the 2.0, no clue man. It's hard to say since it didn't come with one. Although they DO offer an auto on the LNF, which is a RWD turbo variation on the 2.0 used in the Solstice GXP/Sky Redline. Might want to do some research into it and find out what that one is.

Last edited by alleycat58; 07-01-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM

Okay, I figure I'll call GM themselves regarding a crate engine and I bet they might be able to help me.

The biggest, most important issue is that the automatic transmission fits within the allocated space.

Damn, you guys know your stuff!

Thanks from a Canuck celebrating Day, and in 3 days Independence.

Originally Posted by alleycat58
The auto is a straight bolt up to the 2.2. As for the 2.0, no clue man. It's hard to say since it didn't come with one. Although they DO offer an auto on the LNF, which is a RWD turbo variation on the 2.0 used in the Solstice GXP/Sky Redline. Might want to do some research into it and find out what that one is.
Okay, it's been decided I'm going for the 2.0L engine. I've been doing some more research and I see 5spd Auto's for a 2.0L engine, BUT, it's turbo'd not SC'd so I'm not sure the 5spd Auto would be a direct bolt-on to the 2.0L SC.

Any thoughts? It's Canada day=dealer's closed. Or is there a number to reach GM at?

Last edited by cleanme; 07-02-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-02-2007, 04:34 PM

The automatic in the 2.2 is NOT the same as the one in the 2.4. The final drive is different and so is the valve body. The manual in the 2.2 and 2.4 are the same but the one in the 2.0 is different.

The Cobalt has a total of 4 different transmissions, 2 different automatics and 2 different manuals.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by cleanme
Okay, it's been decided I'm going for the 2.0L engine. I've been doing some more research and I see 5spd Auto's for a 2.0L engine, BUT, it's turbo'd not SC'd so I'm not sure the 5spd Auto would be a direct bolt-on to the 2.0L SC.

Any thoughts? It's Canada day=dealer's closed. Or is there a number to reach GM at?
That's the engine I was talking about in my post - the LNF. I don't know enough about that motor to tell you yay or nay. I will tell you this - the turbo 2.0 is in a RWD car, I don't know which way you're planning on going with your kit car. It should be able to run in a FWD car, but since no one has swapped one into a Cobalt, we really don't know. The tranny mounting might be slightly different since the engine is in a different orientation, but again, no one really knows for sure.

Another issue you're going to run into is that the Cobalt 2.0's ECU doesn't fully have the capability to control an automatic transmission, i.e. there is no TCM. Whether there's an aftermarket solution or some sort of work around, again, I have no clue.

If you're dead-set on the 2.0 I would probably suggest looking into a wholesale swap with the turbo 2.0 variation as it has a few more upgrades than the supercharged 2.0 *cough*direct injection*cough*.

As for getting a hold of GM, good luck, I don't know of any numbers. Even with the numbers, even more luck finding someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
That's the engine I was talking about in my post - the LNF. I don't know enough about that motor to tell you yay or nay. I will tell you this - the turbo 2.0 is in a RWD car, I don't know which way you're planning on going with your kit car. It should be able to run in a FWD car, but since no one has swapped one into a Cobalt, we really don't know. The tranny mounting might be slightly different since the engine is in a different orientation, but again, no one really knows for sure.

Another issue you're going to run into is that the Cobalt 2.0's ECU doesn't fully have the capability to control an automatic transmission, i.e. there is no TCM. Whether there's an aftermarket solution or some sort of work around, again, I have no clue.

If you're dead-set on the 2.0 I would probably suggest looking into a wholesale swap with the turbo 2.0 variation as it has a few more upgrades than the supercharged 2.0 *cough*direct injection*cough*.

As for getting a hold of GM, good luck, I don't know of any numbers. Even with the numbers, even more luck finding someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.
Actually. The PCM in the 2.0 DOES have the implementations for controlling an automatic, they are just disabled.

Whether or not one can re-activate those settings with HP Tuners, or a similar program is the question
Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Actually. The PCM in the 2.0 DOES have the implementations for controlling an automatic, they are just disabled.

Whether or not one can re-activate those settings with HP Tuners, or a similar program is the question
That is incredibly bizarre since the other Cobalts use a separate TCM to control the transmission rather than additional parameters in the PCM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

im sure this has been said but

the SS/SC uses a SAAB trans

all other cobalts use a Getrag 5 speed.

the automatics are 4t45-e's BUT, if you're looking to do a crate motor you can probably also use a 4t65-e as well. there are a lot of aftermarket parts for both transmissions to make them nearly bulletproof.

i'm not exactly sure what kind of project you plan on doing, but if you want the bad boy of FWD auto's from GM theres also the 4t80-e used in cadillacs.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:13 AM

The a problem with upgrading to a 4t65 might be size. Remember the 4t65 goes into Impalas and Monte Carlos. The 4t80 is just not an opiton, its equivically an elephant compaired to the size of the 4t45 and even the 4t65.