Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Audio Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Advice Please!

After owning my SS/TC for 2 years, I'm finally going to do a system on it. I just couldn't take any more of it... gotta have my JL fix.

I have the factory Pioneer system, btw.

Here's my parts list thus far:

Pioneer FH-P8000BT Head Unit
Metra GMOS-LAN-04
PAC SWI-PS
JL Audio HD900/5 Amp (100w x 4 @ 4 ohms + 500w x 1 @ 1.5-4 Ohms or 75w x 4 @ 1.5-3 ohms + 500w x 1 @ 1.5-4 ohms)
JL Audio 8W7AE-3 Sub (in small sealed enclosure)

I've read and searched around a lot in the forums, but I haven't found any answers on a couple things.

Is there any way to mount a tweeter from a set of components in the factory tweeter location?

Will I retain factory bluetooth functionality, or is that contained in the factory head unit? I've been led to believe that it is part of the Onstar. They forgot to hook up a power wire to my Onstar in the factory, and as a result, Onstar and bluetooth did not work when I bought the car. I know the HU has bluetooth, but I'd rather just keep the roof mounted mic, and not have to mount an extra one.

What's the best door and deck speakers that can handle 75 - 100 Watts from the amp? I've tried Infinity's, Kickers, and JL Audio speakers in the past and always found them lacking in midrange sound. It's been a few years since I've played with car audio. I was thinking of trying some Pioneer components (front) and coaxials (rear). I like the sound of the stock Pioneers, they're just not loud enough, and I think one of them is blown.

What are the most problematic rattling locations? I'm willing to do a little sound deadening, I just don't want to go overboard. I never felt the need to do any deadening on my 2000 Camaro SS, but somehow, I feel like this car isn't going to be as solid.

Ok, guys, thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
how important is keeping onstar to you??

for speakers i would stay far away from pioneer and instead look into Hertz energy. most tweeters can be put behind the stock location but how well its actually mounted is the question.

i would sound dampen the door mainly this will fix your door handle rattling and help the speaker sound better. (i tested our first set of hertz energy 6.5s at the shop in my car fully dampened and man it sounded damn good) i dont know where else is a big rattle from our cars because i was sound dampening well before i put in the system. i probably put in more material then most before that point and well over that now
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/elec...thread-197926/

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 07-25-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Now that I think about it, Onstar really doesn't matter to me, because I let it expire, and I rarely ever used it anyways.

I was reading something about the GMOS-LAN-04 not workng with aftermarket amps, too. What's up with that on our cars?

As far as the speakers, I'm keeping an open mind because everything I've tried so far hasn't been very satisfactory. Maybe I have a different taste in sound than most, I don't know. But every aftermarket speaker I've tried has lacked the "full" sound that most of my factory speakers have had. I've tried Infinity Kappas, JL TR, VR, and C2 series, and some Kickers (too long ago to remember what kind). I get used to the missing sound after a while, but why should I have to get used to my high dollar speakers not sounding as good?

I'll look into this Hertz energy, but to be honest with you, I've been burned more than once by taking someone's advice on a brand I've never heard of. No offense, just had bad experiences. I also live in the middle of nowhere, and the only place to listen to "high quality" car audio in store around here is Walmart... So there's little chance I'll be able to hear these in person without buying them.

If all I have to dampen is the doors, that'll be perfect.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:16 PM

pm me your zip code

the mos lan is a integration module to let you keep onstar the factory amp and overall make the install easier. but when your taking the factory amp out of the question and you dont pay for onstar anyway then its not only a waste of money but it becomes worthless really. with an aftermarket amp all the radio needs is constant acc and ground and i run the ground to the amp anyway so 100-150 bucks for constant and acc is steep.

mind you the install is going to be a bitch anyway so really if you can handle the amp bypass you can handle running a wire to the fusebox for acc
Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 PM

I can definitely handle a little wiring, but that's not to say that I want to. The GMOS-LAN-04 was only going to cost me a little under $90 (Crutchfield has a sale on it).

I actually see the install on this car going pretty smoothly. I already know I can yank all the seats out in a matter of about 10 minutes. I'm thinking about mounting the amp in the spare tire well. The only thing that looks tough is the rear 6 x 9's, but I'm sure they'll be cake with the rear seats out. Having the battery in the trunk is going to save a lot of trouble.

The only thing I haven't really figured out is how I'm going to fasten down the sub box.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM

I'd suggest a 2 stage contact adhesive for the tweeter mounting in the factory location....It's definitely doable, but not if you buy some behemoth tweeters....I can vouch for the 900/5, but it definitely needs good ventilation...It gets hotter than hell when you run all 5 channels...so I'd try not to suffocate it in the wheel well if at all possible...It's small enough to where you can hide it elsewhere with no issues. I'm with JJ on the gmos...not really worth the cash if you don't have onstar anymore. Dropping the ign. wire down to the kick is a piece of cake, and to be honest, having to do the stock amp bypass is well worth the $90 you'd save...

I can also vouch for Hertz, solid brand with beefy midrange (what you seem to be looking for). I'd also suggest taking a look at Morel, Bravox, and Focal speakers. Can't beat the SQ on the Focals and the Morels, but they're definitely a pretty penny. Good luck with the install.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 AM

I was a little concerned about heat with the amp. I've had my eyes on that amp since they released it. I've heard it both ways though, that it runs really hot, or runs really cool. So I wasn't sure what to think.

I have a couple 3" 12v fans laying around from some computer building I did a couple months ago... so I was thinking about using them to help cool it.

It's just so convenient having the power source right there, and being able to keep the amp hidden and out of the way.

I may explore other options, though.

I've been thinking a lot about what bothered me about speakers that I've had in the past. I think I described it poorly.

I like the warm sound that I've typically experienced with factory systems. When I've switched to aftermarket speakers, I've felt that the highs were too harsh, and seemed to create a separation between the high end and low end of the spectrum to me. I don't think the woofer's performance was really a problem at all.

I'm thinking the problem was more in that the tweeters were too harsh for my taste, and I may need to try a different type of tweeter instead. I'm looking at silk tweeters.

Polk Audio MM6501's are looking pretty good to me. Crutchfield has a huge discount on them at the moment. They have silk tweeters, and reviewers are saying they have a less harsh, warmer sound. Some people interpret that as bad, but I think it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Those Hertz still have a metal tweeter, and I'm thinking I'd find myself dissatisfied again.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 AM

the hertz energy has a silk tweeter i know that for sure im not 100% on the millie or the high energy but im pretty sure the high energy is silk too.

i feel you 100% on the tweeter deal thou. most people think because i have giant tweeters + the center channel it should be insanely bright and while it can be i have it so the cdt tweeters do mainly midrange and cut off most of the actual "tweeter" and i use the fosgate from the center for that but since its not the best tweeter out there the cdts pick up a tiny bit where the fosgate cant reach. lol thats hard to understand but without posting freq numbers thats the best i can do

are there any best buys local or in the city of the dealer i pmed you about? they might have the polks on display to hear
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 AM

You're right, I was looking at the wrong product line on the Hertz site.

I guess I should be looking at the ESK 165L.

I'm going to Dallas/Ft. Worth on Wednesday to buy a VW. I may be able to check them out then.

I guess I can't look up a store on their website?

A best buy won't be hard to find at all. Hopefully they'll have those Polks in stock... I have zero experience with that brand.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 AM

ill be honest im not a big fan of polk personally but just because they are mainly mediocre. they are good stuff but not really you know. but thats just me i wouldn't say not to get them but i wouldn't ever recommend them either

i can pm you the dealer locator site in a bit. its not on the main website because the main site is done by hertz italy and the dealer locator was put together by hertz usa
Old 07-26-2011, 01:29 AM

I'm a JL fanboy at heart... just not their midranges... lol. Never heard anything bad about Polk. The speakers I mentioned made Crutchfield's Signature products list, which seems to be an award worth mentioning.

I just lucked out when I pulled out my old box full of car audio scraps. I found a 25 ft Monster Cables 6 channel low level cable... about 15 ft of JL Audio 4 gauge power/ground cable... 4 ft of 10 gauge speaker wire... and about 20 ft of 14 gauge speaker wire. Looks like I won't have many odds and ends to buy.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:42 AM

lol ya keeping lil **** like that really helps down the road
Old 07-26-2011, 02:36 AM

Did a little more reading... anyone have any experience with Morels?

These speakers are looking pretty appetizing. I was reading that Morels are very "mellow" sounding speakers.

WoofersEtc.com - Tempo 6 - Morel 6.5" 2 Way Component System
Old 07-26-2011, 03:04 AM

our arc audio rep also dealt with them ive herd good things but just not our market. i would also hit up morel and see if woofers etc is actually authorized
Old 07-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Just spent a good while on the phone with a Crutchfield rep. After a lot of talking, he seemed to think that out of their selection, the Polk MM series would be the best choice for me.

So I'm going to go to a few different shops in Dallas/Ft. Worth tomorrow, and try to hear the Polks, Hertz, and Morels and see which I like best.

Thanks for all the help guys! EmpJJ... If I could get you to link me to that dealer locator for Hertz before tomorrow, that would be awesome.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM

I checked the FAQ, but I want to make sure. Is this the right harness if I choose to disable Onstar?

Saturn/Kia In-dash Receiver Wiring Harness For select 2006-up models at Crutchfield.com
Old 07-26-2011, 12:19 PM

no you want the 70-2104 actually
Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the link EmpJJ... there's actually a shop on my way that carries Hertz and Morel and it's only a few minutes from the shop that has the Polks.

I'll let you guys know what I decide to go with.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:37 PM

glad to have helped. i would just make the shops have demos up and stuff in stock and most importantly you always want to listen to speakers with a grain of salt. with the speakers your listening too you should have a good better best type deal. none of them should sound like absolute ass. id also take a cd and an ipod with a song you like already ready to go.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Got the ipod in my car at all times. Called the guy at the shop, and they have the full line of Hertz and Morel in stock and setup to listen to.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm more of a Morel fan, JJ's more of a Hertz fan i figure from the looks of his setup :P, but they're both excellent speaker companies.....Let us know what you end up doing and how it sounds
Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 PM

I may be a fan of one or the other, or both after tomorrow. If I like them well enough, I may pick up a set for my new Jetta TDI, too.

I'm really about to put together two systems. One for my Cobalt, and one for the Jetta I'm picking up tomorrow. They'll likely be the same in both cars (except the Jetta has 6.5" rears instead of 6 x 9's, and only fits a 1 DIN HU).

Wish me luck, I think I'm going to try a Sony HU on the Jetta. As a general rule, I DO NOT buy Sony anything. But they have a series of digital media receivers that has every feature I want for a price I can't argue with. The coolest thing is the "tune tray". You can actually put your ipod inside the HU instead of running cables to the glove box. Add to that 6 channel 4 volt preamp outputs and a $200 price tag... I just can't pass on it. Normally, I'd stiick to Pioneer, Clarion, Eclipse, or Alpine. I just hope the ipod controls aren't sluggish like some of the HUs I've had.

I may use a 10w6 instead of a 8w7 on the Jetta, not sure yet, but I'm definitely using an HD900/5 on both.

I'm just rambling now... I'll stop
Old 07-27-2011, 01:23 AM

no **** bro but sony is actually climbing up in the world at least hu wise. they have really been getting their act together recently.

oh and 10w6 ftw. i personally hate the w7 with a passion
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Just got back from DFW.

After hearing them both in the shop, and playing a variety of music through them (The Aggrolites, Slightly Stoopid, Dr. Dre, and Slayer)... the Morel Tempo 6's won with no contest.

Not to say anything bad about the Hertz Energy... they just weren't the right speaker for ME. I did feel that the highs weren't so painful, but I still noticed a definite separation between the high end and the low end on the Hertz.

The Morels were exactly what I've been looking for. I didn't even bother going to hear the Polks. I bought a set of Morel Tempo 6 components for the front, and matching coaxials for the rear, and I know I'll be back for the other car.

Thanks a bunch to Mobile Sound Systems in Arlington, TX for helping me out, being very nice guys, and working with me on the price!

And thanks again to you guys for leading me to the right choice.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
no **** bro but sony is actually climbing up in the world at least hu wise. they have really been getting their act together recently.

oh and 10w6 ftw. i personally hate the w7 with a passion
Glad to hear that about Sony, as my mind is pretty well made up about that HU. Usually, I not only object to Sony in terms of quality, but I also have a real issue with their treatment of George Holtz (GeoHot). If you haven't heard about that, you should Google it... interesting reading.

As far as the W7s... I'm in love with them. My 2000 Camaro SS had a 500/1 powering an 8W7, and it was not only crazy loud, it was amazingly articulate. The only reason I want to try a 10W6 in the other car is that it just seems kinda boring to build two identical systems, and the 10W6 will be a little more flexible if I use it in any other installations. The single 3 ohm impedance of the W7s are very hard to match without a high end JL amp. The W6s dual 4 ohms is much easier to work with.

But to each their own. The guys at Mobile Sound Systems earlier were talking about taste, and we both agreed that being fondest of Walmart Pioneers would be much easier on the wallet

Quick Reply: Audio Advice Please!