Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Finding Remote Wire On '07 LS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Finding Remote Wire On '07 LS

Hello. First let me say that I am new here. I have read through all five or six pages of the 'how to' but nothing answered my questions. I want to make this look excellent so when my parents find out I installed my system from my last vehicle they won't freak out. Granted I'm 19, and it is technically my vehicle they don't want me to put in a system. Well enough said. Basically I need detailed instructions on where the remote wire is on an '07 LS Cobalt. I read it was on the passenger side kick pannel, and it was pink. I also read the airbag wire is around there somewhere, and is pink as well. I do not want to splice the wrong wire. I'm also having issues removing the pannel because I don't want to yank anything out that is supposed to require unscrewed or otherwise. Could someone please help me out. Thank you.

Peace,
~Posty~
Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 PM

run it off of the sunroof fuse slot, it should be a switched 12V supply. It should be empty unless you actually have a sunroof. Get a "Add-a-circuit" fuse tapper, its the best kind out there. I would use a 1amp fuse.

Edit: I am assmung you are trying to run a amp with the stock stereo. But on 2nd thought, if you are doing that, and are tapping into the high level inputs, most amps detect the signal from the high levels and don't need a remote wire.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:03 PM

Yes I am hooking up an amplifier. Does the stock head unit have RCA jacks in the back for the amp or not. I was going to just go off the rear 6x9's for convience, but if I do it... maybe I'll do it right. If yes on the RCA jacks then how do I remove the head unit?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:30 PM

No RCA's on the base model radio.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 AM

Thank you very much Weeze-Dog. I can tell you are a great addition to this forum, and have helped me greatly. I was wondering if my amplifier would need a remote, but I believe it does. I had it hooked up to my '91 Explorer and can't remember if I even tryed it without the remote. I will find out here shortly, and praying it doesn't because if that's the case it will be a simply hook up. I hate running wires through the car just because I have always found it to be a pain. I will let you know how the hook up goes later today.

Thanks.

Peace,
~Posty~
Old 10-13-2006, 12:03 PM

I would have to asssume that your amp needs a remote line. I don't know of any amp that doesn't. Otherwise it would always be on but would just not have a signal from the unit telling it what music to play.

Also, just so you know when I tried to use the sunroof fuse slot like every one is saying, and it didn't work. The slot would not take the fuse because I don't have a sunroof. I had to find an existing fuse and tap that.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 PM

I've had several amps that don't need a remote wire when using the high level inputs. Only needs a remote wire when using the low level RCA inputs. It senses when when the radio is on from the power going to rear speakers you tapped into, and turns on the amp. With low level RCAs, only a couple of volts travels down the wire, probably not enough to use as a remote wire (or else all amps would not need a remote wire). With the high level imputs, you get quite a bit of power traveling down the wire.
Best bet is check the owners manual for your amp.

Thanks for the compliment, I've done probably 30 car stereo system installs. I'm no "expert" but I am competent at it.
On my 2007, I was able to put a fuse in my slot for the sunroof, but I never got to test it, since the wiring harness was wrong fpr 2007. You can see my annoy experience in my other thread.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:22 PM

I have a question now. It's more about general audio, and the remote wire. I hooked up the power and ground wires, spliced into the rear speakers and all. My system works, but only when the power wire is in contact with the ground wire. This leads to the amplifier being on all the time due to the amp getting power from the battery. My first question is is this good for the amplifier or will I fry it if I leave it go for more than 5 minutes? Another one... if this is okay (but I defintally wouldn't leave it like this) for now can I take a power wire and just hook it up to the remote wire spot for tonight? I am going into work at 11, and I would remove it at work so my car battery is not dead in the morning. Thanks.

Peace,
~Posty~
Old 10-17-2006, 10:25 AM

Your remote wire should be turning it on and off.