Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

The not so Official show off your system Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
only thing i love more than hp is audio, love where this is going. I have some gear sitting around the garage waiting to go in. Looking for the right subwoofer to handle 800 watts RMS of very clean class GH power. I will post up when I get to installing my gear. Great work everyone.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 800 wrms? get a single sundown sa8. lol
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Only 800 wrms? get a single sundown sa8. lol
lol says the guy with a 300 watt amp that has a rail voltage trick and doesnt even do it cleanly. Oh my word this board is already full of know it alls on the engine build turbo swap side, now you? This board is getting old.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 AM

This 800 watt amp would waste the small vc of an SA8. Its more like 3000 watts of that junky audio stuff that you bought at Bestbuy.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by c130aviator
lol says the guy with a 300 watt amp that has a rail voltage trick and doesnt even do it cleanly. Oh my word this board is already full of know it alls on the engine build turbo swap side, now you? This board is getting old.
I don't update my sig regularly, I am currently running a SAZ1500-D on 3 MA-8's. I keep most of my old audio **** so I also have the PBR, a Sk800.1-D, an A275HCT, an oldschool GS 80/40, and a few other amps. I haven't ran the pbr since September.
This 800 watt amp would waste the small vc of an SA8. Its more like 3000 watts of that junky audio stuff that you bought at Bestbuy.

Oh wow, a cute little clarion, how about you bench it and tell me what it is really putting out with a sub attached on a dynamic load. My SAZ is running around 14xx on a 1.33 ohm dynamic load at 60htz.

Oh and you said something about wasting your extreme POWA on the sa-8's dvc's watch and learn:

Old 04-21-2013, 02:25 PM

Look I am not here to start a spitting match, could care less about SPL. You are after something way different than I am when it comes to ICE.

I have had systems with 4 subs to 1 sub. I can tell you that a single sub ported right with 800 watts rms is all I will ever need and for an amp to do it as clean as the clarion.

Class D amps are noisy and even filtered dont have the dynamic output of a well setup power supply in the AB/GH amplifers. That is how this clarion is setup that you mock. Its made by Robert Neff, same guy that makes Arc Audio amps. The brand is irrelivant its whats inside that counts. In fact the guts of this Clarion amp is the same guts as the Arc audio amp of similar power from 2010. Any way I am looking for a the right sub that will go low but still stay linear with 800 watts.

Just because a sub says it will do 800 doesnt mean it will at 20 or 30 hz. Many subs reach xmax at at less than half their power in those lower octaves. That SA8 is cute but wont play the full range in that given power (800 rms). There is more to car audio then choosing a popular brand such as Sundown and reading kiddos comments on car stereo forums.

I am not assuming anything about your background as you shouldn't do the same for mine. I have been installing for 15 years and every need is different based on what a customer wanted. But how can you sit there and makes claims on a SA amp and not even have it in your signature. If its that awesome you sure didnt care to update your signature about it. My little ole Robert Neff clarion is stable at 1 ohm too, but wont make noise when running at that load or the power its rated for.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 AM

Look I am not here to start a spitting match, could care less about SPL. You are after something way different than I am when it comes to ICE.

I have had systems with 4 subs to 1 sub. I can tell you that a single sub ported right with 800 watts rms is all I will ever need and for an amp to do it as clean as the clarion.

Class D amps are noisy and even filtered dont have the dynamic output of a well setup power supply in the AB/GH amplifers. That is how this clarion is setup that you mock. Its made by Robert Neff, same guy that makes Arc Audio amps. The brand is irrelivant its whats inside that counts. In fact the guts of this Clarion amp is the same guts as the Arc audio amp of similar power from 2010. Any way I am looking for a the right sub that will go low but still stay linear with 800 watts.

Just because a sub says it will do 800 doesnt mean it will at 20 or 30 hz. Many subs reach xmax at at less than half their power in those lower octaves. That SA8 is cute but wont play the full range in that given power (800 rms). There is more to car audio then choosing a popular brand such as Sundown and reading kiddos comments on car stereo forums.

I am not assuming anything about your background as you shouldn't do the same for mine. I have been installing for 15 years and every need is different based on what a customer wanted. But how can you sit there and makes claims on a SA amp and not even have it in your signature. If its that awesome you sure didnt care to update your signature about it. My little ole Robert Neff clarion is stable at 1 ohm too, but wont make noise when running at that load or the power its rated for.
You should have said you were into SQ, that would have definitely changed the recommendation. Also you said you aren't assuming yet you read my sig and assume it is up to date, for the record my car is also now two toned grey and yellow and I haven't ran those wheels on the Cobalt since 2011(they are on my rx7). Furthermore you also assumed I am strictly basing my opinion on the internet when I have been in the audio community since Acoustic Research was a headlining brand, Pyle, Lanzar, Pyramid, and Audiobahn were actually good companies, and RF was made in the USA.

I would still bet that amp does not do rated cleanly although I do appreciate Ark. Still not a Clarion fan aside from headunits.

Anyways, what size sub were you looking for? I am not much for sq, as you can kind of tell I am into SPL. Have you looked into SSA or AB? They have sq lines that are impressive. What about Funkin Audio? I have their FA SL 15 which is an SQ woofer but I haven't built a box for it yet. Really good build quality for sitting in a shipping container for almost 7 years. What about the enclosure? That matters more than the sub or amp. You could get a 20 dollar boss 10 and rape a fosgate T2 if on the same power strictly with box design.

Edit, for the record, If money is no object I would look into TC sounds. They are sold by parts express.

Last edited by tru2nrtt777; 04-22-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 AM

Love PE. Oh man, I have been buying from them for 14 years or so.

TC sounds is definately the way to go. Bit spendy and may be my only hope.
I like the Dayton HO subs, they now have a dual 4 ohm version. That has been the one I keep going back to every time.
Funkin Audio looks like crap from the threads in DIYMA and CAC.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 AM

Dude, I still haven't done more than a few minutes of free air but I love my FA, I got the lower end model but the spider is stitched to the leads and the coils, it is thickly glued to the basket(atleast 1/4" wide all the way around), the flat "cover all" dust cap is carbon fiber and the surround is glued well. Aside from the cheap chrome stamped basket and rubber magnet surround it seems pretty legit. Key word seems since like I said, I have only free aired it for about 10 minutes on my home theater. I am going to build a quarter wave for it. Oh and although they are more spl oriented, Phantom Soundz is about to release their "Neo 8" which has an RMS conservatively rated at 750 but they have free air videos of it taking a 2500wrms amp at 3/4 tilt.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Dude, I still haven't done more than a few minutes of free air but I love my FA, I got the lower end model but the spider is stitched to the leads and the coils, it is thickly glued to the basket(atleast 1/4" wide all the way around), the flat "cover all" dust cap is carbon fiber and the surround is glued well. Aside from the cheap chrome stamped basket and rubber magnet surround it seems pretty legit. Key word seems since like I said, I have only free aired it for about 10 minutes on my home theater. I am going to build a quarter wave for it. Oh and although they are more spl oriented, Phantom Soundz is about to release their "Neo 8" which has an RMS conservatively rated at 750 but they have free air videos of it taking a 2500wrms amp at 3/4 tilt.
i would love to pull the trigger on those funkin subs but just too many problems listed in the forums. I am glad it has passed the motor noise test. I keep going back to dayton audio and think either the titanic, the ultimax, or the reference is going to be the best bang for the buck sub. The titanic is musical and plays low with little room and probably will only see 500 rms from my amp at 4 ohms. If I get the HO at 2 ohms or the ultimax at 1 ohm it would see the 800 rms but you are right as you said, gotta get the right box. Really need to make a decision on this.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 AM

i would love to pull the trigger on those funkin subs but just too many problems listed in the forums. I am glad it has passed the motor noise test. I keep going back to dayton audio and think either the titanic, the ultimax, or the reference is going to be the best bang for the buck sub. The titanic is musical and plays low with little room and probably will only see 500 rms from my amp at 4 ohms. If I get the HO at 2 ohms or the ultimax at 1 ohm it would see the 800 rms but you are right as you said, gotta get the right box. Really need to make a decision on this.
just build the right box its what im doing right now im about to go get my mdf and start building 2 of these boxes RE AUDIO - Box Calculator

so that its easier to get it in and out of the trunk then a single box
Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Love PE. Oh man, I have been buying from them for 14 years or so.

TC sounds is definately the way to go. Bit spendy and may be my only hope.
I like the Dayton HO subs, they now have a dual 4 ohm version. That has been the one I keep going back to every time.
Funkin Audio looks like crap from the threads in DIYMA and CAC.
have u heard one before? i forget if we did a cabnet for a home theatre or installed one in a car but i want to say we put one in a car. some customer brought one into the shop back in the day and i was pretty impressed. it wasnt "loud" by any means but very nice
Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
have u heard one before? i forget if we did a cabnet for a home theatre or installed one in a car but i want to say we put one in a car. some customer brought one into the shop back in the day and i was pretty impressed. it wasnt "loud" by any means but very nice
no I havent had an opportunity to check it out but the reference series subs have incredible ratings on the PE site. Another sub that was impressive in just a cubic ft sealed was the Dayton Titanic, Lots of xmax and played extremely low. I would just run my clarion at 4 ohms for 500 watts and get the titanic. I really think it would be all i need and I could snug a custom enclosure in the corner of the trunk.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM

NVX NSW102 - Sub
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH- Radio
Polk Audio DXi650s 6.5"- Rear Speakers
Rockford Fosgate Prime R1675-S 6.75" Component Speakers - Front Speakers
Alpine MRV-F450 - 5 channel powering everything

This is my new setup. I wanted to improve on stock, didn't want to break the bank, and I'm not a huge Bass thumper so nothing massive was needed. I will find out how it sounds soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM

nvx makes a nice sub
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM

I never heard of them, It was 60$ and fit within the "specs" I needed. Until I installed it, then I had to start hacking away at the stock box. Got it to fit and it looks good. Hopefully I'll have my car back tomorrow. It's at my buddies house right now, I work tonight he worked today. So he's going to finish it off when I go in for work.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM

I personally would go with the reference, I like the looks and documented performance.
Originally Posted by night_throne
just build the right box its what im doing right now im about to go get my mdf and start building 2 of these boxes RE AUDIO - Box Calculator

so that its easier to get it in and out of the trunk then a single box
*smacks hand* NO! Winisd, much more accurate than any other free calculator, including Torres. My buddy James Carver has actually made one more accurate than any calculator on the market but he is still working out bugs, hopefully he will be finished soon.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 2 of the Dayton Titanic 12"s sitting in my garage, played them a little and they sound pretty good. Was thinking about doing a nice home theater with them, then thought about using them in my Cobalt but wanted to try out the new Skar VVX's so got those and now i'm not sure what i'm going to do with the Daytons lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 PM

bump needs more pics.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Il have mine in a week or 2
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
I swear I found a thread before for what I was looking for but can't seem to find it again, so here it goes.

I want to add the stereo I had in my truck to the Balt, while leaving the stock subwoofer as well. How would I go about doing this? Something makes me think when I found the thread there was like an RCA splitter to tap into the stock. Everything else would be relatively easy with the battery already in the trunk. Just the remote wire that would have to go to the deck, or is there a tapable one?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
add the stereo??? what does that mean? cd player? subs?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
add the stereo??? what does that mean? cd player? subs?
Amp and sub to stock cobalt hu and stereo.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Stock headunit painted black, about to get a pioneer avh4400; i already got the harness and double din kit

Rockford fosgate speakers they do pretty good and clear.

Polk audio mm1040 sub and an alpine... Amp.

Name:  20121008_173520.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  173.3 KB
Name:  20121008_173520.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  173.3 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20121008_173520.jpg (173.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-10-2013, 02:06 AM

All this money could just be spent on go fast parts. smh

Quick Reply: The not so Official show off your system Thread