Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Question for you guys with the Avic-D3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for you guys with the Avic-D3

I have decided to replace my HU with a new one that has Navigation and I am deciding between the Pioneer Avic-D3 and the Kenwood DNX7100. Both have allot of features however the Pioneer unit is allot cheaper. Now I have seen that quite a few people on here have installed that unit. (the avic-D3)

My question for you guys that have it is: how satisfied are you guys with it?

Also, I am wondering about how accurate the Navigation is?

All the reviews on other sites that I have read for the Avic-D3 have been pretty positive. The only bad thing that I have heard about it is the fact that it is a DVD based Navigation system and that because it only has one DVD slot you have to switch between CD/DVD and the Navi DVD anytime you want to use the Navi. Do you have to leave the DVD Navi disk in while your following the route or do you only need it when you search for a route?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 AM

Only search and I am completely satisfied with my Avic-D3.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:41 PM

i love mine no problems what so ever. yoo only need the disk for the search and once the route is set it keeps it in memory and you can put in a cd.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM

Avic D3

Well I got mine put in last week and so far everything is OK. I also installed the PAC steering wheel module so that I can keep my steering wheel controls. I didn't have this with my Kenwood system. I am also able to retain my door chime and retained power when the car is off and key is out because of the GM-LAN module which I had in with my Kenwood system.

As for the Pioneer unit, it sounds just as good as the Kenwood DDX-6019 system, which was much better than the factory HU. By the way, in the Pioneer 7 speaker factory system, the HU is not actually Pioneer, but is in fact GM's AC Delco. The speakers, Amp and Sub are Pioneer.

The Pioneer Avic D3 has a nice interface and in pretty user friendly, more so than the Kenwood which I had. The Navi is pretty accurate although it didn't get me to the exact house that I would enter, but a few away, which is close enough I guess.

As for my dislikes:

The P.O.I search is way off. When entering a Wendy's restaurant, it took me to another town when I know there are at least 3 or 4 closer to me.

Also, because my installer installed the unit with-out connecting it to the parking break, I get an annoying warning message in red telling me that it is unsafe to watch Video from the front seat while driving. This comes on every time I turn on the unit. If anyone knows how to get rid of this message please let me know.

Other than that, I am pretty satisfied with it.