Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Sub cuts in and out, clipping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub cuts in and out, clipping?

So randomly last night i was driving downtown and i had my HU turned up to 14 vol i usually have it around 10-12 and everything was fine. Driving home on the freeway my sub cut off then came on and off, etc etc...... I took the sub out today looked fine and i tightened the ground.

I have a RF P212S4 svc sub in a sealed box with a RF T1001bd power amp rated at 1068 rms and an alpine iva-d310 dvd unit ran in with my stock aas system. I just picked up a JL audio W3 dvc i need to wire up. Ive had this setup since owning my car and i havent had any problems. My sub level is 9, gain is but 70%, HZ is 80, infrasonic is off, mode is MASTER, pasephase is 0 degrees. Wires are pos/pos and neg/neg to the amp but once the vol goes past 8 the sub cuts out. I turned the sub level down and vol was 10 and it was fine.

Im starting to think the amp is clipping, sub is underpowered, wires are shorting, ground is lose, one of the wires needs to be fixed, fuse is bad/blown.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either a loose ground/power/remote wire or your charging system (batteries/alt) can't handle the t1k although I had the same amp in my car on all stock electrical stuff and it worked fine...for cheaper amps they could just be over heating but your good with the t1k and it sounds like your not even running at 1 ohm like I was
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
uh ya what impedance do u have it at? unless its 8 ohms u probably fried the sub
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 AM

True i didn't look at the specs of the subs but I'm guessing a t1k would tear apart a DVC W3
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm pretty sure a W3 is 350-500.
Thats what mine were but they were SVC.
That P2 has a 500 ceiling on it too.
So if you have the amp set anywhere over half, like emp said you might have fried it.
Go push on it see what happens, if it don't move at all, or if it sounds like nails on a chalkboard then she's pooched for sure.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 AM

lol my bad u put the entire model number of the sub... single 4.

well a T1 on a good day will probably make 600w at 4 ohms. the P2 12 is a 250w speaker

so unless your running 18g speaker wire as power/ground with about 50 buttconnects inline all corroded as **** that amp probably fried the sub
Old 05-05-2010, 05:44 PM

My guess is that the amplifiers self-protect feature was kicking it off for one reason or another. Maybe mismatched speaker impedance, or a speaker wire vibrated loose causing an intermittent connection.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Well its deff the sub. I rewired everything, set the h/u to 3/4 vol and left the h/u settings flat. I set the crossover to bout 100hz, turned the infrasonic filter off, then turned the gain up its about halfway right now and i got the vol up to 16 which i could barely get to 10 b4 the sub cut out. Sub level is at 11 but it could be the bassmaker, its set at Electric Bass.

Its a rockford p2 single voice coil 4ohm rated at 200rms watts with 400rms peak watts. And my amp is a rockford t1001bd mono amp, so it running either 2ohms or 4ohm cuz the wires are ran pos from the sub to amp and neg from sub to amp which should be a 4ohm load. I think i finally gave the sub to much. I had 2 12" P2 2ohm subs wired to 1 ohm b4 and never had issues.

So maybe i need help setting up my current amp to match the subs rms watts or get a more powerful sub that the amo can handle and underpower.

So just went to my local car audio store and i wanted to get a new sub cuz we all thot the sub was bad......

Well after testing everything he came back and told me my amp was bad, it was clipping and also i need to bypass my speakers and stock amp so that my alpine dvd headunit controls the speakers since it has more power than the stock amp does also a reason why the other amp went bad.

So i ended up getting a Rockford Fosgate P312D4 and a Rockford Fosgate 500/1 mono amp wired to 2ohms. So now i gotta get the stock amp bypassed.

Last edited by lilhomieb07; 05-05-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-06-2010, 02:27 AM

tell him the stock speakers are 2 ohm and the tweeters are active not passively crossed over.

The sub can and should be controlled separately via the rcas running to the radio itself BUT the stock amp and stock speakers have nothing to do with the subwoofer amp at all. If this guy isnt full of complete **** then its the HU if anything. Settings on electric bass are and always will be bad and can cause clipping. but you can light the stock amp up and the T1k should still run fine. oviosuly if uve fried ur sub and its just shorting out instead of playing then yes you can mess up the sub amp but what that has to do with anything else idk.... the sub amp is for the most part independent of the stock ****

if the T1k is actually busted do u want to sell it?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 PM

**** that I'll take the amp, $100?

Btw 70% gain is fairly high on the t1k IMO

seriously tho you should sell me the amp if your done with it

Last edited by brickloaf; 05-06-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-06-2010, 09:41 PM

Im gonna have the stock amp bypassed, so my alpine controls them and i can turn my vol passed 17, he said i should be able to go as high as 30 vol out of 35.

But heres the thing, the t1001bd that he said was bad i took apart last night ad found the mesh grille that collects dust and stuff fell off inside the motherboard ad has a burn spot on it, so that might of been a factor in the amp goin bad. He hooked up the P3 to the 1001 and did the same thing the p2 did, CUT OUT.

Ive always loved Electric Bass on the alpine gives the sub ALOT of bass but if u reccomend not using it i wont, that means i have to turn the sub to max 15 and turn the vol all the way up to get good bass. I have the amp tuned, H/U set at MX 2, sub level 8, Electric Bass on and vol bout 14 and it pounds. I have a W0 12", P2 12, and the power mono amp. Idk if its worth selling the amp out of state cuz shipping that thing will be hella it weighs like 30lbs.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 PM

True if I remember correctly it was like 25ish to ship a t2000 across like 5 states
Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by lilhomieb07
Im gonna have the stock amp bypassed, so my alpine controls them and i can turn my vol passed 17, he said i should be able to go as high as 30 vol out of 35.

But heres the thing, the t1001bd that he said was bad i took apart last night ad found the mesh grille that collects dust and stuff fell off inside the motherboard ad has a burn spot on it, so that might of been a factor in the amp goin bad. He hooked up the P3 to the 1001 and did the same thing the p2 did, CUT OUT.

Ive always loved Electric Bass on the alpine gives the sub ALOT of bass but if u reccomend not using it i wont, that means i have to turn the sub to max 15 and turn the vol all the way up to get good bass. I have the amp tuned, H/U set at MX 2, sub level 8, Electric Bass on and vol bout 14 and it pounds. I have a W0 12", P2 12, and the power mono amp. Idk if its worth selling the amp out of state cuz shipping that thing will be hella it weighs like 30lbs.
right that does have to do with the stock amp. its because you have high level going to it now as compared to low level before. assuming your alpine has 3 preouts what i would do is run rca signal to the stock amp instead of the speaker wire thru the amp in the alpine.

Yes if that grill fell out then the amp is busted. fixable but busted none the less. LOL not nearly as hard to fix as the T2000 brick blew up thou. ive only seen one amp worse then his. A T5001bd that the guy spilled coffee into (mind you it doesn't have the fan or opening in the middle like the T1k or T2k) That one was unrepairable, smoked like no ones buisness

Originally Posted by brickloaf
True if I remember correctly it was like 25ish to ship a t2000 across like 5 states
right but with a UPS account like we have its much cheaper then walking into a ups store or anything similar.

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 05-06-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Alright Brickloaf!!!
If your going to do it, do it right.

I did something similar to a Rodek RA2150 a long time ago.
The guys at the shop nick named it the Challenger, in reference to the space shuttle that blew up in 86.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
right that does have to do with the stock amp. its because you have high level going to it now as compared to low level before. assuming your alpine has 3 preouts what i would do is run rca signal to the stock amp instead of the speaker wire thru the amp in the alpine.

Yes if that grill fell out then the amp is busted. fixable but busted none the less. LOL not nearly as hard to fix as the T2000 brick blew up thou. ive only seen one amp worse then his. A T5001bd that the guy spilled coffee into (mind you it doesn't have the fan or opening in the middle like the T1k or T2k) That one was unrepairable, smoked like no ones buisness

right but with a UPS account like we have its much cheaper then walking into a ups store or anything similar.
I can't even get my sub amp to turn on now...the 4ch will power up but the other is dead as a door nail...I think I've got electric issues that go past the amps but for some reason only my stereo stuff won't work and my DIC has been saying something about the airbag after my **** got fucked when I did the double ground
Old 05-08-2010, 02:45 AM

damn dude i dont know who u pissed off in another life but no offense **** just isnt going ur way.

is the airbag light on? whats the dic saying? i cant even imagine what could or would cause that other then yanking an airbag plug, yanking the airbag fuse, messing with the wiring involving the gm lan, or something along those lines

If all you did was remove the ground. cap it off. and run a wire to the back i don't understand how everything got so completely fucked.

Originally Posted by Spun

Alright Brickloaf!!!
If your going to do it, do it right.

I did something similar to a Rodek RA2150 a long time ago.
The guys at the shop nick named it the Challenger, in reference to the space shuttle that blew up in 86.
lol we had a similar situation at the shop now that i remember it.... guy had a dual amp that he or someone else (not us) installed that popped the fuses. so he asked if we could give him some fuses and push comes to shove one of the guys went to the car to put them in (simple enough no big deal). it must have been fall or something because it was already dark that night. signs on the building were off bc i think we were getting ready to close so it was literally pitch black (trunk light was busted too). so everyone is watching while john puts a fuse in the amp... the inside just lights up with the orange glow of fire. he tries pulling the fuse out to no avail so aaron pulled out a pocket knife he luckily had and was able to do whatever to stop power from flowing. i dont remember seeing the insides of the amp but i think we took it in trade for like 5 or 10 bucks towards a refurb fosgate or something

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 05-08-2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-08-2010, 06:09 AM

DIC reads repair airbag or something like that but all fuses should be good I've checked EVERYTHING