Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

2.2 turbo finished

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowbalt19
i will try to have a vid of my car up by next week if i can get it back by monday. if so i will try and have a vid up by wen, or thur
you have the red one that is all sweet looking at the shop
Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by fastfreddy7
What front bumper is on your buddies car? I like it. Also, get the "good" vid up you keep talking about already, its been like 2 weeks or something.
Thats the BC2 bumper. I'm waiting for the kit to come out in eurethane.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:10 AM

yeah, if they put it out i urethane I might have to get that one too. I love the red sema car with that kit and the gold wheels.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 AM

Sway....are you looking to get more footage...is that the hold up of the vid? if so i might have a run for you...
Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Speed Mafia
Sway....are you looking to get more footage...is that the hold up of the vid? if so i might have a run for you...
yeah, im trying to get more footage. This friday ill be getting a lot more. What you got for me? BRING IT!

Im dyin to test my car against a Stg2 SS/SC. but i dont know of anyone in boise with it. Everyone seems to be stock, or just intake/exhaust. Makes me sad inside...

Oh, about my buddies body kit. he recommends waiting for the urathane kit, really hard to get someone to paint the fiberglass. Im thinking about just waiting for awhile and getting the widebody kit.

Last edited by Sw4y1313; 03-08-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 AM

damn man you need to get us more sneak peeks so how many kills so far man!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM

It rained Friday so no new footage =( But i did get new rims/tires Friday afternoon. I can post some pics, but i want to get the springs on first =P Getting the Tenzo-R springs with 215/45/17's. Gonna be sick. They are a black 6 spoke with chrome lip.

In other great news, i will be opening up my car this friday. Meaning 3 inch Exhaust. I've got the appointment setup and the high-flow cat and muffler on the way. Then i will dyno to see how much better my hp/tq curve is with a nice flowing exhaust. When you drive it you can tell its choking hard after about 5k rpms. It sounds like a jet engine tryin to get all the exhaust out. Not sure how much the dyno run is gonna cost...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
It rained Friday so no new footage =( But i did get new rims/tires Friday afternoon. I can post some pics, but i want to get the springs on first =P Getting the Tenzo-R springs with 215/45/17's. Gonna be sick. They are a black 6 spoke with chrome lip.

In other great news, i will be opening up my car this friday. Meaning 3 inch Exhaust. I've got the appointment setup and the high-flow cat and muffler on the way. Then i will dyno to see how much better my hp/tq curve is with a nice flowing exhaust. When you drive it you can tell its choking hard after about 5k rpms. It sounds like a jet engine tryin to get all the exhaust out. Not sure how much the dyno run is gonna cost...
nice keep us posted!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by alpinetech
Oh here's the link again to a dyno vid and project pics..

http://www.alpine-developments.us/cobalt_dyno.htm

Oh and we did also verify the 2.2L kit will bolt up to the 2.4L engine with no problems. The 2.4L owners have the choice between our excellent Piggyback ECU or buying a tuner style kit for less and finding their own tuning solution like the HPTuner.
I believe Alpinetech means the kit for a 2.2 5-speed will bolt up to a 2.4 5-speed. It looks like the intercooler pipe as is wouldn't clear the auto on either. That said, I understand there are fixes in the works.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 PM

My Exhaust is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Its going to cost at the most $430 bux. Full 3 inch from the downpipe back, with a 3inch high-flow cat and 3 inch Magnaflow muffler. So tomorrow night will be lots of fun, and friday night will be even more fun. I'll have to see how that Evo8 holds up now =P
Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 PM

My Exhaust is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Its going to cost at the most $430 bux. Full 3 inch from the downpipe back, with a 3inch high-flow cat and 3 inch Magnaflow muffler. So tomorrow night will be lots of fun, and friday night will be even more fun. I'll have to see how that Evo8 holds up now =P
Dont forget vids!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 AM

As long as it doesnt rain this friday night, im gonna have like 2+ cameras comin with me to get some more videos. Dains w/ his SS/SC, jasen w/ his redline and so is my buddy brandon with the white cobalt. Its gonna be funnnn.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updates?!?!

I would LOVE to have this kit, I've already got a boost ready full exhaust so it would be a dream!

Last edited by RedBaseBolt; 03-15-2007 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 PM

Holly **** does it sound SWEEETTTT. It also pulls hard all the way through 6200rpms. Im gonna have some FUNNN tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 PM

im looking more towards the future...judging by pics it looks like there is a 1-1.5" clearance between turbo housing and firewall....is there any other possible mouting areas for larger turbos...im comming from a GT35R Srt4 and that thing really looks like a snail compared to my beast. It would be awesome to see complete install pics with majority of the engine bay removed....hoses, small components such as pumps and others...but other than that the only thing i would be worried about now is axels and clutch how are they holding up since it sounds you are ******* it every night?

ohhhh one more thing...install your self a boost gauge and video that too...i would llike to see if your spiking and bleeding dramaticly at red line...thats what it looks like from your dyno graph...im guessing internal wastegate on turbo...which kind blows. however agp makes a nice external wastegate for most applications...tune wastegate for amount of boost now...add manual boost controller for wanted boost pressures...retune wastegate for new amount of boost = more boost at redline...

Last edited by PayJ; 03-15-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by PayJ
im looking more towards the future...judging by pics it looks like there is a 1-1.5" clearance between turbo housing and firewall....is there any other possible mouting areas for larger turbos...im comming from a GT35R Srt4 and that thing really looks like a snail compared to my beast. It would be awesome to see complete install pics with majority of the engine bay removed....hoses, small components such as pumps and others...but other than that the only thing i would be worried about now is axels and clutch how are they holding up since it sounds you are ******* it every night?

ohhhh one more thing...install your self a boost gauge and video that too...i would llike to see if your spiking and bleeding dramaticly at red line...thats what it looks like from your dyno graph...im guessing internal wastegate on turbo...which kind blows. however agp makes a nice external wastegate for most applications...tune wastegate for amount of boost now...add manual boost controller for wanted boost pressures...retune wastegate for new amount of boost = more boost at redline...
Well, i dont want to jinx myself, but the clutch and axles seem to be holding up just fine. Your right, i do run my car pretty hard. I would say i do at least 3 WOT runs every time i drive it(And thats on the way to work, about 10min drive at 4am). Mostly 2nd & 3rd gear. Yeah, i have the boost gauge, i just need to install it. Im coming up on 3k miles with the turbo and things keep getting better =P

Im excited about tonight... Why does it have to be soo early..
Old 03-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you buy your cast alluminum intake manifold ??
Old 03-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
Where did you buy your cast alluminum intake manifold ??
I havent yet, thats why its under WIP. Im waiting on alpine to get it done.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:16 AM

stop yappen on the board and start filming :P have a good night man! and yes i had an extra 2.2L plastic manifold around so he is using it for fabrication
Old 03-17-2007, 10:38 PM

How funny things turn out. Im gonna need that manifold sooner then i thought. I blew it apart last night. i was out racin and cruisin, and AFTER things were settled and i was cruisin to a party, i pulled out of the parkin lot where everyone meets and BOOOM. Blew it into 2 pieces. So yeah, i gotta talk to alpine to see how fast they can come up with one, or im gonna be gettin another plastic one. Woo hoo. So there you have it, 3k on a plastic manifold @ 8-9psi. Man do i beat up my ride. i was so happy it wasnt a rod or piston i blew last night. I swear it popped so loud everyone heard that thing. Like 5 guys from the meeting spot ran over to my car and helped me move it off the road. I should be running here again in a few days if i dont wait for a casted manifold. Which i think i may do because it would be smarter. I certainly DO NOT regret last night, it was a blast!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:45 PM

grats man, glad you are enjoying your new mods etc.

im waiting for the day for my motor to go pop lol, it will probably be a piston while running the 2.5 but ill be fast!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 PM

How funny things turn out. Im gonna need that manifold sooner then i thought. I blew it apart last night. i was out racin and cruisin, and AFTER things were settled and i was cruisin to a party, i pulled out of the parkin lot where everyone meets and BOOOM. Blew it into 2 pieces. So yeah, i gotta talk to alpine to see how fast they can come up with one, or im gonna be gettin another plastic one. Woo hoo. So there you have it, 3k on a plastic manifold @ 8-9psi. Man do i beat up my ride. i was so happy it wasnt a rod or piston i blew last night. I swear it popped so loud everyone heard that thing. Like 5 guys from the meeting spot ran over to my car and helped me move it off the road. I should be running here again in a few days if i dont wait for a casted manifold. Which i think i may do because it would be smarter. I certainly DO NOT regret last night, it was a blast!
this scares me very much now cuz i will be turboed in about a week and i think my 2.4 shares the same manifold as the 2.2. if i blow it ill be screwed cuz i have ran out money for this project right now.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:06 PM

If someone can confirm the Saab Turbo Manifold, ill buy it and install it. I saw the pictures of someone installing it onto the 2.2. Looks like im gonna have to be the guinepig again.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Go check out my "14.6 run with nitrous explosion" and hear the crack of the intake manifold, sounded like a gunshot, probably just like what happened to you - the fire.

Make sure no plastic got into the block, otherwise you might bend a valve or something. The good thing is that the plastic intake manifold is only $105 from GM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by RollermanDan
Go check out my "14.6 run with nitrous explosion" and hear the crack of the intake manifold, sounded like a gunshot, probably just like what happened to you - the fire.

Make sure no plastic got into the block, otherwise you might bend a valve or something. The good thing is that the plastic intake manifold is only $105 from GM.
Yeah, i can get the part i just would rather buy a casted manifold or something like the saab turbo manifold. So i dont have to worry about randomly blowing my intake if i push my car too hard. I want my car to take the beating i put on it. Thats a true daily driver =P

Quick Reply: 2.2 turbo finished