General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Aftermarket Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Parts

Hey guys I just recently purchased a Black 2006 ss s/c chevy cobalt. It has about almost 18k miles on it now, it had about 16k when I bought it the other night haha, and I got it for 16,500 dollars, great deal! In my opinion. Anyways, I know I need to change the exhaust, I mean hell, I can't even hear the exhaust now haha.

So my question is, what are good mods for these cars? I know pretty much nothing about the cobalts or chevys in general really, I just traded in my 91gt with a 302 that ran 11s. I know the cobalt isn't as fast, but hopefully I can get her there, and I know shes quicker around the corners stock already.

I'm assuming that I should change the exhaust, maybe headers, I dunno if headers do much for these cars or not, intake manifold maybe, and more then anything the pulley, oh and also a nice little cold air intake.

How quick can these cars be made, money really isn't a concern, I am getting a huge settlement to pay off the car here within about 2 weeks, and have a ton of money in the bank.

I really wouldn't mind dropping a few thousand for parts+labor into the car to make her sound better and be a little bit quicker.

I did notice, which scared and shocked me, that there is wheel hop in first gear at full throttle. Hopefully I didn't hurt the car, which I highly doubt I did, but I did accidentally do it about 2 maybe 3 times if I remember right.

I won't let it happen again, but im sure theres motor mounts or something like a dampener or something that can correct this. Also, are short throw shifters, like B&M hammer shifters or whatever good for these cars or no?

Like I said, I just picked this car up a few days ago, and really don't know much. This is also my first stick, so I already set aside 1k for a new clutch. However, in my opinion I believe I am doing pretty well.

The only question as for driving a manual I have is this. When your in first gear. The way I am shifting is like so. Its hard to explain, but I press the clutch all the way down, and then put her into first. Then I start to take the clutch out, and slightly press on the gas. When the clutch is about half way out, I give her a little more gas, up to about 1500 rpm's give or take sometimes a little more and then let off the clutch completely. I don't get any jerking or anything like that.

For the other gears, I am shifting at 2k rpms to save on gas. I shift into all gears at 2k. When I shift into the gears I just simply take my foot off the gas, press the clutch in fully, put it into the next gear, let go of the clutch, and then put my foot back on the gas if needed.

When I am come to a dead stop from say a hill or something like that, I press in the clutch fully, put it into neutral and coast down the hill until i get to the stop sign/light. Then put it into first. I was told it was better to coast in neutral then to go from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st etc.

My only other question about driving a manual is the following. Is it bad to skip gears. Lets say going from 3rd gear at 4k rpm's straight into 5th gear? I haven't done this, but I don't know if its good or bad on the car. It would be saving a ****, and it wouldn't bog the car down, but I don't know if its good or bad.

My questions to you guys then are the following. What should I buy for the car, and what rpm's do you guys shift at for having fun, and for saving gas?

Thanks for your guys time.
Zach.

Black 2006 SS S/C Chevy Cobalt
Stock For Now