General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

GMPP Sounds A Bit Off..??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GMPP Sounds A Bit Off..??

Hey guys..

I upgraded to the GMPP Performance cat-back this past weekend. I like the drive-ability differences with the mid to high power and the high rpm sound, but I do have one problem.. The idle. It sounds like ass. It's super raspy. I listened to a ton of video exhaust clips before I got it, and most of them sounded really good with the GMPP. I know a bit of my problem with the rest of the sound is the auto drone when you're in overdrive, so I drop it into intermediate sometimes to hear it go, but the idle is just so bad.. Why? The only two related mods is the GMPP performance cat and the Injen SRI intake. The exhaust has the GM angled tip. I got it used, so it's already broken in. There's not many miles on it though, but it should be good in terms of being broken in properly.. It was on an s/c before my 2.4.. The thing also is REALLY loud on a cold start, and actually quiets down after running temp. My friend with the same set-up says his is the exact opposite. Super quiet initially.. WTF? I'd love to get a higher-flow header, down-pipe, and cat, but I figure it'll just sound even worse.. I don't want to go back to stock. I love how the system looks and definitely love the performance boost, but there has to be SOMETHING I can do to fix this.. I can't just drive around in I and at full throttle all the time just so it sounds good.. Here's a video I made the other day to show you.. I couldn't really thromp on it because it was 1 am.. lol. It just seems a bit louder than I was expecting.. The tip and everything is clamped on, so if something has to be exchanged it won't be a catastrophe..

HELP!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1gHj7PkpY
Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM

Sounds fine to me from the VID, don't know why it would be raspy...
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Did you install it yourself? Sounds like maybe there's an air leak somewhere. Check the piping and clamps/bolts.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 PM

definatly doesnt sound right. buddy from work has it on his 2.4 and sounds nothing like that. it should sound something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb0IIGsJzd0.
like said above i think its a leak thats making it sound like ****.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM

Sounds like a leak.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
def a leak
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Exhaust leak fo sho.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06 pursuit gt
definatly doesnt sound right. buddy from work has it on his 2.4 and sounds nothing like that. it should sound something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb0IIGsJzd0.
like said above i think its a leak thats making it sound like ****.
thats exactly what mine sounds like!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 PM

Yea that's a leak, also check to make sure it's not hitting the heatshield above the exhaust, you can bend it out of the way if needed.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM

Hmm.. Yeah, because originally I thought the tip may just be rattling, but the tip is fully clamped down and has no sagging at all.. Where would be a good place to look? Just basically every clamp point? Again, it sounds really good at the mid and high RPM's.. But the low is just horrendous..

I'll hopefully wake up early enough tomorrow that I can jack it up and look under the **** tomorrow before class..

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 08-26-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-26-2008, 10:33 PM

Just a question.......do you still have the resonator installed?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 PM

It's exactly as I got it. Both GM pipes are there. Even-though they're probably both just straight through, they ARE still there, so I'd assume the answer is yes? lol.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 PM

off topic, but got involved in youtube like always. imagine seeing this **** wipping by you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kqsL...eature=related
Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 PM

^^ Yeah... OK.... good off topic. Hope does guys don't get in an accident cuz there will nothing left from them or the bikes.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by drop-n-destroy
^^ Yeah... OK.... good off topic. Hope does guys don't get in an accident cuz there will nothing left from them or the bikes.
seriously though. I think if they put there arms out theyll start flying. But if they hit a car....that would be a good youtube video
Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Back on track..

Update. Well.. Sorta. I jacked the rear of the car up this morning to see what I could see.. With only myself, I had limited accessibility with hearing it from underneath while revving.. I had to settle on idling.. So initially, I poked at everything and noting seemed loose or like it'd rattle or leak.. I turned it on and looked under. Still nothing. I laid under the rear by the gas tank and heard a tiny bit of air from the clamp that holds the rear section on.. Hmm.. We'll look at that later.. Any more? Tip? Check. Rear clamp? Check. Cat bolts? Check. All systems go with the exception of the rear section clamp. So I remove it and look under the clamp.. I see a deep line. Obviously so it can slide over the other tubing. I try to push it back as far as it can go and all I do is shake around the whole cat-back. lol. Ok then, let's try to just re-clamp it down.. I do this, and everything still looks good. I turn it on.. Still there. Mind you, this is not a huge leak at all. Very minor. VERY. But it's there none the less and I can't find anything more, so I concentrate on it.. I repeat this like 3 times. No more progress is made. Then I begin to wonder if that's maybe just how a 4 inch tip sounds? I'm used to a stock SS one.. Who knows? I'm desperate now. So I un-clamp the tip and pull on the tip.. Nothing. The **** is totally stuck. I's almost like it's been welded on just from driving.. So I just remove the clamp entirely, since it's apparently un-necessary, and tap at the rear part of the tip with a hammer to try to loosen it.. Nothing. **** it. I leave it as-is. Now I'm here.. lol. Could it honestly just be the tip? I'd like to still get under there and put a piece of that burn-on material you use to patch exhaust leaks under the clamp to hope that solves the other issue with the rear piece clamp as well.. Any info? I still have the stock SS tip if I need it.. I would rather use it if it makes the sound smoother..

HELP!!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

when my taurus had a leak it sounded like a performance exhaust it was awesome Of course I had to get an entire new exhaust though..
Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Back on track..

Update. Well.. Sorta. I jacked the rear of the car up this morning to see what I could see.. With only myself, I had limited accessibility with hearing it from underneath while revving.. I had to settle on idling.. So initially, I poked at everything and noting seemed loose or like it'd rattle or leak.. I turned it on and looked under. Still nothing. I laid under the rear by the gas tank and heard a tiny bit of air from the clamp that holds the rear section on.. Hmm.. We'll look at that later.. Any more? Tip? Check. Rear clamp? Check. Cat bolts? Check. All systems go with the exception of the rear section clamp. So I remove it and look under the clamp.. I see a deep line. Obviously so it can slide over the other tubing. I try to push it back as far as it can go and all I do is shake around the whole cat-back. lol. Ok then, let's try to just re-clamp it down.. I do this, and everything still looks good. I turn it on.. Still there. Mind you, this is not a huge leak at all. Very minor. VERY. But it's there none the less and I can't find anything more, so I concentrate on it.. I repeat this like 3 times. No more progress is made. Then I begin to wonder if that's maybe just how a 4 inch tip sounds? I'm used to a stock SS one.. Who knows? I'm desperate now. So I un-clamp the tip and pull on the tip.. Nothing. The **** is totally stuck. I's almost like it's been welded on just from driving.. So I just remove the clamp entirely, since it's apparently un-necessary, and tap at the rear part of the tip with a hammer to try to loosen it.. Nothing. **** it. I leave it as-is. Now I'm here.. lol. Could it honestly just be the tip? I'd like to still get under there and put a piece of that burn-on material you use to patch exhaust leaks under the clamp to hope that solves the other issue with the rear piece clamp as well.. Any info? I still have the stock SS tip if I need it.. I would rather use it if it makes the sound smoother..

HELP!!!!!
I did not have a tip on mine for the first month. I noticed no differance after I installed the tip.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:01 PM

The tip won't make any difference.. and no, your exhaust shouldn't sound like that at all.. it sounds horrible in that video. If it's not a leak I don't know what to tell you.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Didn't think so.. But I have no clue.. Honestly, that clip makes it sound worse than it is.. It was probably a bit too close to it.. Maybe I'll get another video with the rear jacked up and I'll pass the camera under it..? I do find it weird that it quiets down after it's driven more.. I'm at a loss..
Old 09-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Take a look around on the exhaust, if you are getting a black area anywhere on the exhaust where a clamp it's than more than likely there is a leak in there causing the noise that you are hearing.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Honestly, after hearing the clip a few times and getting used to the sound, that clip makes it sound really bad.. It's still weird that it's a LOT louder at the initial start up than after driving for a bit.. Doesn't matter if it's a cold or warm start.. The car needs inspected in a few weeks, so I'l just have them look at it while it's there.. They're a good dealership (our family has dealt with them for over 50 years), and I'm sure they've worked with GMPP exhausts before.. We should be able to figure something out that way.. If not, I don't know.. It's not that I hate it by any means, but I just wish it was more smooth..
Old 09-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

I might have missed it but is the exhaust used or new ? I've had both the performance and touring and that sounds weird. Almost like there is a loose baffle or something at start up that moves into place as the pressure builds. Just a guess.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:52 PM

It was used. Like 5k on it he said.. I'll just have my dealer look at it.. It'll be alot easier to figure out up on a lift..