General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Questions on HID Kits and Halo Projectors. Need answers, Thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions on HID Kits and Halo Projectors. Need answers, Thanks.

Ok so ive seen the halo projector headlights on ebay but there are several different brands with several slightly different styles. The black ones is what im interested in.

What is the best looking one to get that is black?

What brand of HID Kit do i need to get and where can i order it at? Im interested in 6000K.

What is the correct bulb size that i need for the HID Bulbs?

Do the Halo Projectors come with the white LED Bulbs?

How hard is it to mount the ballasts for the HIDs?

If any of you guys can point me in the right direction as to where i can order both of these things and which brands to get etc, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by dvsxlt247
Ok so ive seen the halo projector headlights on ebay but there are several different brands with several slightly different styles. The black ones is what im interested in.

What is the best looking one to get that is black?

What brand of HID Kit do i need to get and where can i order it at? Im interested in 6000K.

What is the correct bulb size that i need for the HID Bulbs?

Do the Halo Projectors come with the white LED Bulbs?

How hard is it to mount the ballasts for the HIDs?

If any of you guys can point me in the right direction as to where i can order both of these things and which brands to get etc, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The stock headlight socket for the 2.0 is 9007; it's probably the same for the other cobalts. All these kits are universal just need the right socket size. The ballasts can just be zip tied to my knowledge...but I'd actually mount them to the frame near the headlight with velcro and use zip ties. Don't know anything else besides using a kit means you no longer have high beams.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Ummm lets see...In order...

2nd gen CCFL halos in black

unless you wanna spend a few hundred $$ for a Philips kit a HID kit is a HID kit. Just order one from eBay from a seller with a good rep

on the 2nd gen CCFL lights High Beam is H1 and Low Beam is H7

The Halo projectors are ready to rock right out of the box

Find a place to hide em and zip tie em in place
Old 07-21-2008, 11:42 PM

Wait, so your saying that if i install a pair of all black halo projector headlights, then i will end up not having any use of high beams?? How? looks like theres a spot for high beam bulb to me... And are those LED lights in the headlights pre installed or do you have to buy the LED bulbs seperate?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM

there are two separate size bulbs in each headlight. one for high beam and one for low beam. the LED's are already installed.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM

247...Do you have AIM? I just finished installe projectors and HIDs about 2 weeks ago...Ill tell you everything about the process and answer any questions you have...
Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 AM

dvsxlt247 is my screen name. hit me up on there. lata.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 AM

im on AIM now...get on lol
Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by flash13brandon
im on AIM now...get on lol
Im on AIM now, ill be on throughout the evening in and out. just holler.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 PM

I just got these off of Ebay

Very nice kit, high quality. The kit comes with standard H1 bulbs, and an HID retrofit kit. The retrofit kit required only minor modifications...like removal of a useless rubber gasket covering the HID wiring (used a kitchen scissors), and cutting and re-splicing the power leads to reuse a rubber cover that is part of the headlight kit.

The kit is truly plug and play, with the right connectors for the standard Cobalt wiring harness. I made NO modifications to the Cobalt's original wiring. It would be an easy task to put the original headlights right back on.

I cut the power leads to the projector H1 bulb that came with it, and wired them altogether into the ballast and LED's positive and negative terminals.

Finding a space for the ballast on the passenger side is easy. Not so much on the drivers side. I think I have a space figured out. I want everything in the engine compartment, so it is not fed a diet of rain and road garbage. It would be easy to tuck it away near the grill, but I think that's probably a bad idea due to the constant exposure to the elements.

I'm still in the middle of the install project, but I could certainly get it done this evening.

Overall, I'm very pleased. If you have basic wiring skills, this is easy.

Aligning the lights may be a pain however, we will see.

The ebay seller I got the kit from was edixworks. I have no financial links to the seller, other than being a recent customer.

This looks like the kit I got from Edixworks, and comes with the 6000K HID lights and ballast, in black.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-08...3911.m14.l1318

One other thing...looks like I will have to take a dremel tool to remove a bit of material from the plastic Cobalt headlight mounting bracket on the drivers side. The HID bulb protrudes just enough to be too close to the bracket. This will be the first direct modification of the Cobalt itself I'll have to make.

Last edited by Forseti; 07-25-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 PM

If you grab the 3rd gens, take note of this problem, i made a how-to on it: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-remove-glare-spots-above-cut-off-line-3rd-gen-projectors-113781/

Don't get 1st gens, too many problems with leakage, grab either the 2nd or 3rd gen. Im a fan of the 3rd gens, but the 2nd are easier to install due to no wiring (unless you get hids).

And yes, 3rd gens are a BITCH to aim, don't know about the ccfl's.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:05 AM

Thank you very much for the how to on the reflector spot...I'm going to wait to see how annoying it is before doing the surgury you described on the light...I'm a little worried about getting the fill putty down in there without screwing things up....
Old 07-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Silv3r
If you grab the 3rd gens, take note of this problem, i made a how-to on it: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113781

Don't get 1st gens, too many problems with leakage, grab either the 2nd or 3rd gen. Im a fan of the 3rd gens, but the 2nd are easier to install due to no wiring (unless you get hids).

And yes, 3rd gens are a BITCH to aim, don't know about the ccfl's.
Unfamiliar with the different generations of headlights out there, but, here are the ones im interested in getting. Are there any known problems or modifications i will have to make with these particular head lights??? And yes i do plan on putting in HID's into these head lights. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-07...spagenameZWDVW
Old 07-27-2008, 01:35 PM

Those are not 2nd gen headlights i believe. 2nd gen headlights are so easy to install. No cutting or modding of anything. And HIDs are simple to install with 2nd gen.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:59 PM

Nope those are 1st gens...
Old 07-27-2008, 02:04 PM

1st gens are a pain to align.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 PM

And they (potentially) leak, I wouldn't get them. I personally think the 2nd and 3rd gen are much more attractive looking.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:45 PM

yea i have the 3rd gens. pita to align em but looks great. a buddy of mine has the ccfl's and they look great too. they are much easier to align than the 1st and 3rd gen too.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Second Generation. They're the plug and play ones (They have their own harness). If you go with the second Gen, make sure your HID kit is H7. I also reccommend getting a relay kit to feed your HIDs from the battery instead of the headlamp wiring.

My setup:

2nd Gen CCFL Black Projectors
Size H7 Pilot HID 6000K kit (I will be going to 4300K once these bulbs burn out since 4300K looks more OEM and puts out more lumens than 6000K)
MobileHID Relay harness with H7 turn on wire.

I also added a second relay to let me retain the low beams while my high beams were turned on.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk243
I have the Second Generation. They're the plug and play ones (They have their own harness). If you go with the second Gen, make sure your HID kit is H7. I also reccommend getting a relay kit to feed your HIDs from the battery instead of the headlamp wiring.

My setup:

2nd Gen CCFL Black Projectors
Size H7 Pilot HID 6000K kit (I will be going to 4300K once these bulbs burn out since 4300K looks more OEM and puts out more lumens than 6000K)
MobileHID Relay harness with H7 turn on wire.

I also added a second relay to let me retain the low beams while my high beams were turned on.
Please explain this relay kit to me some more. Never seen one... how easy or hard is it to install? is it simple?? also, so are you saying that without a second relay kit i wont be able to turn the high beams on and still have the regular HID lights on at the same time?? If i get the first gen head lights, what do i need to modify?? do i have to buy a seperate harness for it or do i need to modify the stock harness for the stock head lights??? i need help with this. tinkering between the 1st gens and 2nd gens now. Does the HID Kit i get matter if i get the 1st gen ones and does the HID kit i get matter if i get the 2nd gen head lights?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 PM

Well the HID kit bulb size will be different depending on what gen headlights you get. 2nd gen are H7 and 1st gen are H1 someone correct me if im wrong. I Dont use a relay kit, but why would you want high beams and low beams on at the same time?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 PM

Having both beams on puts out a lot more light output, unless you live out in the country or drive in the country a lot, you dont need to to the high/low mod.

You don't "need" a relay kit, but it's a nice reassurance to have. HIDs pull a very fast high voltage draw to ignite the xenon gas, and it can be really taxing on your oem headlight harness over time. The kit is easy as hell to install, just basic wiring knowledge (meaning anyone can do it).

www.mobilehid.com

That's the one I have. Also, the first gens require to to drill a small hole for the returnlead for the bulbs to fit properly, otherwise they go in upside-down and you get dark spots on the road.

If I were you, I'd get the 2nd gen ccfl's, they look better, no leaks, and there's no wiring involved.