General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Sc vs. tc continued....,

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TC uses Direct Injection. It's more efficient and is the way most carmakers are going.

A few other random production SC'd cars include mercedes kompressor 190ish hp and the Mini cooper S 170hp? Surprisingly low numbers. Also take examples Pontiac Vibe SC kit 175hp? 2.2 ecotec SC 200hp? (Both cost around $4,000 CAD, same as turbo)

Just seems like the SC's days are over except in certain applications. Small displacement motors love a turbo.

I've owned both SC(210k) and turbo'd ecotecs(75k) and I personally prefer the Turbo.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate getting involved in these post because they will always be the ******** that wanna talk **** about the SC but some people just enjoy the supercharger more, I love the sound and the rarity of having a supercharged car. U can find turbo cars all the time, they both have there place where they perform best at and so there is a reason both still exist and not just one or the other.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranemaster
I just dont buy the "2,500HP top fuel drag cars use superchargers, so they are better" Argument.
come run my supercharged car any track u want pick your poison. 1/4 mile, road course, auto X, circle track whatever you like. I mean hell i make less power than a fully bolted and tuned tc does. But why is it the 99.8% cant touch my times or trap speed? But again this site is all about "dynos" and peak power
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zrated89
come run my supercharged car any track u want pick your poison. 1/4 mile, road course, auto X, circle track whatever you like. I mean hell i make less power than a fully bolted and tuned tc does. But why is it the 99.8% cant touch my times or trap speed? But again this site is all about "dynos" and peak power
One reason iv found that alot of them bigger turbo tc making 400+ hp cant put the power to the ground without spinning 1st 2nd and 3rd gear, so they have to resort to roll races of 60 or higher to win or wait till they catch grip to catch back up to the car, and that to me is just pointless and stupid.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 PM

u cant get close 400 out of the stock turbo some have hit 400. And my car will rip the tires at 50+ mph from a roll as well. They cant use traction as an excuse. ive also seen tc's put on slicks and radials still not impressed. stock sc cars typically see around 220whp ok the tc averages 230-240 big deal. one is no better than the other theyre both the same dam cars. it boils down to preference period

Originally Posted by Vander Nars
One reason iv found that alot of them bigger turbo tc making 400+ hp cant put the power to the ground without spinning 1st 2nd and 3rd gear, so they have to resort to roll races of 60 or higher to win or wait till they catch grip to catch back up to the car, and that to me is just pointless and stupid.
i also pull them from a roll as well was just using the track as a comparison

Last edited by zrated89; 06-13-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by startingline05
My opinion is its all about personal preference in what you want. One isn't really better then the other.
I agree.

If someone want's to argue this - then they are hell-bent on arguing.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 PM

400plus whp here and with the right tires I can break boost from 40 in second and barely bark a tire. The trick is good suspension and tires
Old 06-13-2012, 11:01 PM

^^^exactly
Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I upgraded from n/a so boost in general is awesome idc where it comes from.. i think we can all agree on that.. who gives a fawkk where the boost comes from
Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by startingline05
400plus whp here and with the right tires I can break boost from 40 in second and barely bark a tire. The trick is good suspension and tires
Yes and if ur running the right setup then that is a good thing what im talking about is the 400hp club thats running stock tires and spins the first 3 gears so they have to do all roll races.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's just a newer driver useing the pedal as ON/OFF switch instead of gradually increasing speed. Your being extremly bias here Vander.

Plus most TC owners who have 400hp have roasted off a few sets of tires within 20k much less have stock Conti's on. I've gotten 40k off my stock conti's and my new michelin pilot SS are wearing well so far(10k). Although I can still breakem loose with GMS1 in 2nd IF I want. It's all about throttle control.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shanedude
That's just a newer driver useing the pedal as ON/OFF switch instead of gradually increasing speed. Your being extremly bias here Vander.

Plus most TC owners who have 400hp have roasted off a few sets of tires within 20k much less have stock Conti's on. I've gotten 40k off my stock conti's and my new michelin pilot SS are wearing well so far(10k). Although I can still breakem loose with GMS1 in 2nd IF I want. It's all about throttle control.
Im being bias? Have u seen any of the other threads about this debate before? it gets locked everytime because some douche gets on here starts tossing insults and putting down all us SC guys saying all kinda bullshit, most of the time its the turbo guys that completely refuse to believe that having an SC can be a good setup and competitive, Im from the mind set that both setups can work if correctly done right.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SaberD
This is false. The additional backpressure created by the turbo puts more force on the piston during the exhaust stroke. This energy taken from the engine is used to power the turbine. It just so happens that there is typically less parasitic loss with a turbo than a supercharger.

As far as which is better, it completely depends on the application. For 1/4 mile runs or a road course with long sweeping turns, the turbo is much better because you can make more peak power and don't need to worry about throttle response.

For a tight track with lots of twisties, it's the supercharger all the way, because you have much better throttle response. The turbo requires that you hit the gas prematurely to corner exit, so that the power is there when you need it. If you are rapidly changing direction, such as in an autocross course, you can do several modulations of the throttle with a sc'ed car in the time that it takes the turbo car to respond to a single throttle input.

It's all about the application. However for each application, one can clearly be defined as better than the other. The reason why turbos are so popular among tuners is because most people think straight line acceleration defines 100% of a vehicle's performance charactersitics, and they have no idea how to drive.

With a good turbo that is correct size for the motor it will pull just as fast as a SC. My car is always in its powerband above 2500rpms and you wouldn't be that low in the rpm in any road race/autoX.

Cmiller ran faster than you on the stock turbo so it has nothing to do with your SC.

u cant get close 400 out of the stock turbo some have hit 400. And my car will rip the tires at 50+ mph from a roll as well. They cant use traction as an excuse. ive also seen tc's put on slicks and radials still not impressed. stock sc cars typically see around 220whp ok the tc averages 230-240 big deal. one is no better than the other theyre both the same dam cars. it boils down to preference period

Last time i checked you can't get 370whp 400+tq out of a stock blower cobalt.

The TC cobalt IS better than the SC and you must be smoking crack if you think it isn't It has better suspension, more power, faster 1/4 mile time, faster road course time, more durable parts, ect.. I don't even know how this is a argument?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 AM

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Regardless of which balt is better we should all focus on the bigger issue here.... THOSE DAMN RICE BURNING HONDAS!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 AM

loooove the sound of the SC cobalts, but like the seats, brakes and rims on the T/C, and i like making more power with just a tune. id like to drive a sc for a while to see what the instant power feels like with no turbo lag though.

i like them both
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by donkeyballs
With a good turbo that is correct size for the motor it will pull just as fast as a SC. My car is always in its powerband above 2500rpms and you wouldn't be that low in the rpm in any road race/autoX.

Cmiller ran faster than you on the stock turbo so it has nothing to do with your SC.

Last time i checked you can't get 370whp 400+tq out of a stock blower cobalt.

The TC cobalt IS better than the SC and you must be smoking crack if you think it isn't It has better suspension, more power, faster 1/4 mile time, faster road course time, more durable parts, ect.. I don't even know how this is a argument?

thats why i said 99.8% he was the exception. And he ran a half of a tenth quicker ET i trapped higher than he did.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 AM

While I don't like superchargers I think it's important to say that if it weren't for the SC Cobalt we more than likely would not have the TC.

I think stock vs. stock, same driver, the TC will out perform the SC in any contest plain and simple. I think that alone, statistically, makes the TC model the "better" car. HOWEVER, preference makes up most real world decisions so in that respect they are the same or equal vehicles.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

thats why i said 99.8% he was the exception. And he ran a half of a tenth quicker ET i trapped higher than he did.
That's great but has nothing to do with SC or turbo, it's mostly driver mod. Cmiller was making the same power as everyone else with full bolt-ons but he can actually drive his car to full potential.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 AM

i know that all to well lol i run the times i do with only 360whp
Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not getting any info as to why one form of forced induction is better than another in this thread.

Will someone please explain what the main physical limitations are of a centrifugal, roots, screw: positive displacement blower are on our engine? Please do not say parasitic loss, yes yes we know it does that. But there is so much more, please do tell... I wanna know... WE.... WANNA KNOW...

Now turbo boys and girls, lets hear the same thing about turbos on our application... "It doesn't take hp you might say..." My response to that... lulz, would you like a samwich?

I''m new here and would love to know, please tell...

Want some extra credit? Throw some tuning terminology into the mix... wrong/right... it doesn't matter, don't worry someone on here knows more than you and will correct you. We are all engineers here on CSS.

Wanna go a step further? How bout using these forced induction applications with water injection and/or nitrous?

WE WANNA KNOW!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donkeyballs
That's great but has nothing to do with SC or turbo, it's mostly driver mod. Cmiller was making the same power as everyone else with full bolt-ons but he can actually drive his car to full potential.
I dont think u get his point, he has proven that the sc is not a bad platform to build from, he has the skill to drive his car to the max to be honest i think all this sc hate from the turbo guys steems from the fact that half of them cant drive worth a **** so they just went with the high hp possible and roll race at 80. Anyone that can drive knows that both cars are great choices.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 AM

I dont think u get his point, he has proven that the sc is not a bad platform to build from, he has the skill to drive his car to the max to be honest i think all this sc hate from the turbo guys steems from the fact that half of them cant drive worth a **** so they just went with the high hp possible and roll race at 80. Anyone that can drive knows that both cars are great choices.
It's a hell of a lot easier to control a car that makes less torque and at a slower rate. The turbo on the TC comes on so hard it can be challenging to control at first.

I agree both are great choices for the money but lets be honest.... If your desire is to make power and do so easily and fairly cheap then the TC is the better car. That's fact.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by 100% METH
I'm not getting any info as to why one form of forced induction is better than another in this thread.

Will someone please explain what the main physical limitations are of a centrifugal, roots, screw: positive displacement blower are on our engine? Please do not say parasitic loss, yes yes we know it does that. But there is so much more, please do tell... I wanna know... WE.... WANNA KNOW...

Now turbo boys and girls, lets hear the same thing about turbos on our application... "It doesn't take hp you might say..." My response to that... lulz, would you like a samwich?

I''m new here and would love to know, please tell...

Want some extra credit? Throw some tuning terminology into the mix... wrong/right... it doesn't matter, don't worry someone on here knows more than you and will correct you. We are all engineers here on CSS.

Wanna go a step further? How bout using these forced induction applications with water injection and/or nitrous?

WE WANNA KNOW!!!
I am

For real though, haha.

Originally Posted by Frogstofall
It's a hell of a lot easier to control a car that makes less torque and at a slower rate. The turbo on the TC comes on so hard it can be challenging to control at first.

I agree both are great choices for the money but lets be honest.... If your desire is to make power and do so easily and fairly cheap then the TC is the better car. That's fact.
If everyone would agree on this like you do, we would be in a much better place within the sport compact scene. Unfortunately we fight with one another, instead of building up nasty blower & turbo Cobalts to go attack our competitors.

On a side note, there is nothing wrong with some friendly competition within our community (that's how we grow & learn), but some of the members on here can get down right nasty interms of which form of forced induction is best.

Half of those members don't even know enough about forced induction in general to go throw out those kinds of opinions.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 06-14-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 AM

this debates going to come to an end in the near future as electric superchargers become a reality. the problem to date has been that the electric motors that would power them have been big and heavy. automakers are now realizing that they dont need a electric motor that can spin a 70 horse supercharger for three hours they need one that can spin it for 15 seconds. so what you need is a fairly large capacitor and a lightweight short duration high output electric motor attached to a centrifical supercharger. turbos and belt driven superchargers are dinosaurs. which powers the biggest motors on earth? turbos. what powers the quickest vehicles on earth? superchargers. for cars the driving experience of a supercharger is general more enjoyable. my tvs car has no noticable whine and has a huge immediate power band. i let my coworker with a 300 whp STI drive my cobalt and his response after bombing around town was holy ****, i need to get a SC cobalt.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
lol. Lets change the topic. Why does Honda suck or why doesnt it?

My reasons why Honda sucks

1.) Never made a sporty car with forced induction.. I dont understand why they wouldnt!!>!> The amount of fan bois out there dying to get there hands on a civic with a turbo is insane. They would make alot of money if they did that. I think the reason is they enjoy selling a car in the mid to low 20k$ region and making a huge profit while just carrying the same engine over year after year, lol.

Quick Reply: Sc vs. tc continued....,