How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: How to install a dome light on a vehicle with a sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i do this to my cobalt i have the big lite housing ki want it with the 2 map lghts and big one in back???
Old 08-12-2012, 01:46 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 AM

sweet, i tried somin similar to my blazer and it didnt work lol
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 PM

this is going to be my weekend project i need to go order everything from the dealer.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM

hopefully someone can help me, i got a light from the dealer but it only has the single large light not the two smaller "map" lights, i attempted to do the wiring the same but cant get it to light up, does any one know where i need to solder the wires to make this work? thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrader88
hopefully someone can help me, i got a light from the dealer but it only has the single large light not the two smaller "map" lights, i attempted to do the wiring the same but cant get it to light up, does any one know where i need to solder the wires to make this work? thanks in advance.

just to be clear, in this picture i had the very top going to black, the second one to gray, the third blank and the last one blue.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Hey i figured it out, the quick splices i had didnt actually splice all the way thru the power line. Working good now
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Glad to hear you figured it out and saw the light.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by YelloEye
Glad to hear you figured it out and saw the light.
Lmao nice
Old 09-29-2012, 06:10 PM

dome light

I tried this but with led light strips...but..I wired the lights to the wires the + to the gray wire the - to the black wire and when the mirror lights was on the wire up in the roof by the sunroof didnt have pwr but when the mirror lights went out the wires would have pwr...then when I opened the door the pwr would leave as soon as the mirror lights came back on... I was connected to the gray wire..for + lead with door open

So I didnt install anything....

My cobalt is a 06 are the wires differant in an 06, or does anyone know what I did wrong? thanks
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by silver cobalt SS
I tried this but with led light strips...but..I wired the lights to the wires the + to the gray wire the - to the black wire and when the mirror lights was on the wire up in the roof by the sunroof didnt have pwr but when the mirror lights went out the wires would have pwr...then when I opened the door the pwr would leave as soon as the mirror lights came back on... I was connected to the gray wire..for + lead with door open

So I didnt install anything....

My cobalt is a 06 are the wires differant in an 06, or does anyone know what I did wrong? thanks
My understanding is there is a constant power (blue with white line) and the black and gray are two seperate grounds, black all the time and gray with the door. So if u want the led to turn on and off with the door run the blue to ur positive and gray to negative
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 PM

lights

Originally Posted by mrader88
My understanding is there is a constant power (blue with white line) and the black and gray are two seperate grounds, black all the time and gray with the door. So if u want the led to turn on and off with the door run the blue to ur positive and gray to negative
Thanks mrader88 I went back out and hooked up the led light strips and works like you said...works when Iopen the doos and faids you after I close the doors...thanks again for the info...
Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM

lights under dash

Is there any wires under the dash to hook up some lights,that would work when the doors are opened?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that I know of but it's not a bug deal to run some wires down the a pillar from the roof.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM

where did you get the led bulbs from? what model bulbs did you use for the led bulbs?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Seem to have an issue. Installed the dome light with success. Now the dome and mirror lights stay on constant when the car Is running. How ever if I lock my car with the doors shut the lights turn off.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 PM

Sounds like you have your ground wires switched, does it do that when you put the switch "ON"?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Another old thread brought back from the past.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:19 PM

The grey wire I soldered was touching the black wires pin barely causing to stay on. Disconnected the black wire for now only have it set up to the door switch. Ordered the wiring harness probably shoulda did that in the beginning. Also gotta clean my headlining up now too. Then it'll be complete (: thanks for the help guys. Managed to get a center console with bracket and cup holder for 90$ online too :O damn you gm for not installing these things oem!
Old 04-07-2019, 05:49 PM

Pictures

Originally Posted by NCC-2000
Alright, most people who own a Cobalt (or G5) with a sunroof have at one point or another cursed the fact that these vehicles do not have an interior dome light, instead having only the small map lights in the rear view mirror. In this guide, I'll show you how to install a factory dome light in a vehicle that has a sunroof and have it look like it was always there.

What you'll need:

1 Dome Light Housing Part#22736100
1 Dome Light Lens Assembly Part#22736098
2 Bolts with nuts and lock washers (I used 1/4" bolts 3/4" in length)
10 1/4" rubber washers
3 Quick wire taps
Some wire
Wire strippers
Soldering iron & solder
Sharp Instrument For Cutting
Drill
Writing Utensil
Electrical Tape
Anything else you think you may need to complete this

Step 1:
Since you're dealing with electricity, probably wise to disconnect the battery. No major risk here, but you never know. After that, remove the rubber trim from around the sunroof.

Step 2:
Pull the headliner down a bit and take a look at this large metal brace with two holes in it. This is what the dome light will eventually be mounted to.

Step 3:
Pull the headliner down a bit where the sunroof switch is located and find the wire harness that leads to the rear view mirror. There are three wires in this, Black, Gray, and Blue.

Step 4:
Follow this wire harness as the wires join up with the rest of the wires up in there and follow it around the sunroof's left side. You will be tapping into these wires to make your dome light work. You can tap into them anywhere along their length, I just used the left side of the sunroof because it's the easiest way to access them.

Step 5:
Prepare your dome light parts. On the left is the housing, on the right is the lens assembly.

Step 6:
Grab the wire you will be using and strip one end of each. If you have the same colors of wire it will greatly reduce confusion, black, gray, and blue. Solder the blue wire to the rightmost terminal in the dome light housing. This has what looks like a small fork sticking up through it. Solder the black wire to the other terminal with the fork thingy, which is the leftmost terminal. The gray wire must be connected to the terminal beside the black wire, either on top or in the location where the plug would normally go. I chose to solder mine where the plug goes so that I kept all the solder locations away from each other, also helps give you more maneuvering room. There are four pins in the plug area, the gray wire goes on the second from the left if you're viewing the housing from the top (light bulb) side.

Step 7:
Mark the location of the holes in the metal brace onto the housing. The holes are roughly 5.5cm apart, which correspond to the spots just outside the little plastic "dividers" in the housing. Drill two holes in the housing to match these holes in the brace.

Step 8:
Do the same for the headliner, mark the holes so you know where they are.

Step 9:
Hold the housing up to the headliner, matching up the holes. Trace a rough outline of the main area of the housing.

Step 10:
Cut out the hole.

Step 11:
This step is optional, but highly recommended. Take the housing and turn it over. Cover up the area with wires with electrical tape or other covering of your choice. The idea here is to eliminate the chances of a short circuit forming and you blowing fuses.

Step 12:
Connect the wires from the housing to the wires running along the side of the sunroof. I used the quick taps for simplicity, feel free to use whatever you're comfortable with.

Step 13 (updated):
Place a rubber washer on each bolt, then feed your bolts through the holes in the metal brace. Once through, place two more rubber washers on each bolt, then feed the bolts through the housing. Place two more rubber washers on each bolt and secure everything using lock washers and nuts. If your bolts are too long the switch in the dome light won't operate as it should, so test it out now to see if it slides all the way in both directions. I added rubber washers to this step because it virtually eliminates the chances of a short developing and blowing the interior light fuse.

Step 14:
The lens assembly locks onto the housing using four tabs. Make sure the headliner isn't in the way. If it is, cut more of it off until everything is clear. Once done, take the lens assembly and push it onto the housing. You will very likely have to push down from the top in order to do this, as it's quite a tight fit. You'll hear (and feel) a click when the tabs interlock. Once all four tabs are locked in, you're finished. Clean up the mess you made cutting apart the headliner, reconnect the battery, replace the trim around the sunroof, and try your new dome light out. You'll appreciate it more once it gets dark.

Congratulations, you just made the interior a lot brighter. One small thing to take not of. I installed my dome light with the large light facing forward, and the two smaller lights facing back. You may choose to install it the other way. It's all a matter of personal preference. Enjoy!

UPDATE: I've installed LED bulbs in both the mirror lights and the dome light, so I figured I'd try to show the difference between having the dome light installed and the stock way.

Here's the LEDs during the day:

Now at night. I've retaken these photos with the car parked in my garage with all the lights off. This is the absolute best way to show the difference in illumination in photos that I can come up with, so I hope they get the point across.

This is just the map lights on the rear view mirror lit:

This is the mirror lights plus the main (or front half) of the dome light:

This is the mirror lights, the main dome light, as well as the map lights on the rear half of the dome light:

Hope that shows how GM screwed everybody that got a sunroof by not putting the dome light in from the start.
can you repost your pictures please
Old 11-01-2019, 05:21 PM
TR6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would love to see pictures as well.

Looks like the parts are now discontinued from GM, but should be readily available in the junkyard. Does the dome light from most small GM cars work or does it need to be specifically from a Cobalt to match up to the bracket in the roof?