How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: How To: Install a Double-DIN Aftermarket Headunit in your 05-06 Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a double din on the way. i have a SS steering wheel with the wires for the audio controls that i have to install. (im a base with just the info and back arrow button on the steering wheel)
all i have to do is get steering wheel buttons and the Axxess ASWC harness plug the steering wheel controls into the wheel wire and hook up the axxess harness and the buttons on the wheel will work to control the audio right ?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobalt08LS
i have a double din on the way. i have a SS steering wheel with the wires for the audio controls that i have to install. (im a base with just the info and back arrow button on the steering wheel)
all i have to do is get steering wheel buttons and the Axxess ASWC harness plug the steering wheel controls into the wheel wire and hook up the axxess harness and the buttons on the wheel will work to control the audio right ?
Correct!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
idk by ur pics im almost positive u put the mounting bracket on wrong, the plastic things that screw onto the side of the deck have a raised grove in them, that grove fits into it male counter part on the face plate u screw to the car, u have to put the side plates and the face plate together before u screw them to the deck itself, when done it looks and is as solid as the factory deck, its looks like its actually part of the deck, the way ur pics show, it looks like ur deck would be able to fall out the back if there was no styrafoam, with the right way of doing it there is no way it can ever move even with nothing behind it to stop it. look at the face plate and the side plates, u will see the pattern matches up
Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by tomj77
idk by ur pics im almost positive u put the mounting bracket on wrong, the plastic things that screw onto the side of the deck have a raised grove in them, that grove fits into it male counter part on the face plate u screw to the car, u have to put the side plates and the face plate together before u screw them to the deck itself, when done it looks and is as solid as the factory deck, its looks like its actually part of the deck, the way ur pics show, it looks like ur deck would be able to fall out the back if there was no styrafoam, with the right way of doing it there is no way it can ever move even with nothing behind it to stop it. look at the face plate and the side plates, u will see the pattern matches up
If you are correct, I will be grateful as hell. My headunit is NOT mounted properly, this much I agree on, and yer probably right. So what you're saying is, I use the faceplate/screw-in piece that was on the stock deck? Because nothing on the aftermarket mounting kit screws into the front behind the trim like the stock unit does.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Derke
Correct!
nothing else? how does the axxess hook up?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

If you are correct, I will be grateful as hell. My headunit is NOT mounted properly, this much I agree on, and yer probably right. So what you're saying is, I use the faceplate/screw-in piece that was on the stock deck? Because nothing on the aftermarket mounting kit screws into the front behind the trim like the stock unit does.
No no, u use the mounting kit, but the side peices of the kit hook into the front mounting peice of the kit, then u screw them to the unit, after that the mounting unit can't move at all, I'll see if I can upload pics later.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM

No no, u use the mounting kit, but the side peices of the kit hook into the front mounting peice of the kit, then u screw them to the unit, after that the mounting unit can't move at all, I'll see if I can upload pics later.
Please do! Very interested to know what I've done wrong haha. And would like to fix my how-to guide accordingly.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt08LS
nothing else? how does the axxess hook up?
That's the tricky part. The axxess website and/or the manual that comes with it gives specific instructions depending on the car make/model/year. Consult those. If I recall correctly you'll only use one or two wires, and the rest will just be hanging there (tape them off!). I briefly touched over this in the how-to. It's really easy after you locate your specific car's instructions. Just wire and plug in!

Confession: I never bothered with the axxess, because I wasn't sure where to plug it in at the head unit! Laziness at its finest.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 PM

what if you have on-star do you need the wire harnesses for that too? and how would all these wires connect up when you have now the head unit on star and the Axxess ASWC???
Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vinjpal561
what if you have on-star do you need the wire harnesses for that too? and how would all these wires connect up when you have now the head unit on star and the Axxess ASWC???
The onstar would be retained by the special harness you buy.. on 07+ cobalts. 05 and 06, you cannot retain onstar with an aftermarket headunit.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
^^ wrong u can retain the onstar in a 05-06 but its a big bitch. and if ur trying to do it urself asking noob questions like that i wouldnt recommend it
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
^^ wrong u can retain the onstar in a 05-06 but its a big bitch. and if ur trying to do it urself asking noob questions like that i wouldnt recommend it
Really? Sonicselectronix installers as well as the harness manufacturer (I forget who I talked to or read in this case) both said for the 05-06 you can't. How do you retain it?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 PM

Really? Sonicselectronix installers as well as the harness manufacturer (I forget who I talked to or read in this case) both said for the 05-06 you can't. How do you retain it?
A $200 harness.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gelladuga69
A $200 harness.
fuuuuck
Old 06-30-2012, 03:34 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
well a 200 dollar kit + additional parts

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/elec...-parts-106660/

Metra 99-3303 (met-993303) Install kit for GM vehicles using the
Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 AM

haha I had replied to the post you linked xD
Old 06-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

ok here are pics on howto install the double din mounthing kit
(this one Scosche GM1599B Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for 2004-up )
Properly

ok see where the red arrows are on the black side plate and on the front mounting plate. those 2 plates are desighned to fit together like so.

and here u have it, perfect fit

and when both are on it will look like so

then slide it on the front.

it only goes on enough for what it needs, u cant push it any further, this is how it looks when its all the way on

then screw down the side plates

and this is what it looks like when its all put together right, nice and secure. little blurry but u get the picture

there ya go, took me a while of trying to figure out how to install this to notice how its done, they should have instructions cause its hard to miss it. hope this helps u guys.

and ps, in the back of mine i didnt use styrafoam like op did, i cut out that back plastic like he did, unbolted the metal part, then i bent the part that hast the hole in it where the factory plastic tab goes in to hold it up, i bent that so it faces toward the back of the car instead of down, used a hammer and a anvil, i did have it bending slightly down though, then u cut off access metal with a rotary tool and cutting disk cause it has a lip on it, then filed it flat, bolted a longer peace of metal to it facing me, so when i put the deck it it sits on the bottom of the deck and holds it up and keeps it fron dangleing in mid air, its a little more work but i didnt want styrafoam in back there that maybe could fall out. no worrys about the deck slipping back with doing the mounting plates right, when u bolt the front plate into ur car in factory location where u bolt the stock one, it wont be moving anywhere.

there ya go for a secure clean install. enjoy

Last edited by tomj77; 06-30-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM

That came out good! So I found that 200 wire harness for onstar on eBay for 99 buck but does anyone know if that also gives you full function with your steering wheel controls or do you need to buy the awsc wire kit too?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:03 PM

That came out good! So I found that 200 wire harness for onstar on eBay for 99 buck but does anyone know if that also gives you full function with your steering wheel controls or do you need to buy the awsc wire kit too?
Link to that? Never heard of it.
Either way, it wouldn't give you steering wheel controls.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 PM

so really i need the Axxess ASWC and the onstar wiring harness too.. How the hell do you hook up two wire harness to the one that comes out of the head unit
Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM

so really i need the Axxess ASWC and the onstar wiring harness too.. How the hell do you hook up two wire harness to the one that comes out of the head unit
The ASWC requires a radio with a wired remote port. Same with the PAC.
Why are you bothering with OnStar? Axxess and PAC both make harnesses that retain OnStar, but are both in the $200 range.
Even though your car is equipped with OnStar, you don't need an OnStar specific harness, unless you want to retain the feature.

Best way to go is get an Axxess harness that is ASWC ready, so it's a direct plug and play application.
I'm not sure if there are any harnesses that are OnStar and ASWC ready from Axxess.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM

well i just bought a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT and putting it in my ss but the guys at my local audio shop said that if i dont get the PAC witch i just ordered last night, that if i ever needed to bring it to GM for what ever reason that some of the computer **** is all linked up with on star and the head unit witch i think is bs but i also didnt want to loose all my door chimes and stuff like that. so now i have the head unit and the PAC thing for the onstar and the mounting kit. what else do i need????????
Old 06-30-2012, 05:50 PM

well i just bought a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT and putting it in my ss but the guys at my local audio shop said that if i dont get the PAC witch i just ordered last night, that if i ever needed to bring it to GM for what ever reason that some of the computer **** is all linked up with on star and the head unit witch i think is bs but i also didnt want to loose all my door chimes and stuff like that. so now i have the head unit and the PAC thing for the onstar and the mounting kit. what else do i need????????
That's not true.
You'll only lose your door chimes, if you have an 07+ and don't use a "compatible" harness.

Well, if you have the $200 PAC harness, it's going to retain OnStar and Chimes.

Other than what you have, you need a antenna adapter.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM

ok here are pics on howto install the double din mounthing kit
(this one Scosche GM1599B Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for 2004-up )
Properly

ok see where the red arrows are on the black side plate and on the front mounting plate. those 2 plates are desighned to fit together like so.

and here u have it, perfect fit

and when both are on it will look like so

then slide it on the front.

it only goes on enough for what it needs, u cant push it any further, this is how it looks when its all the way on

then screw down the side plates

and this is what it looks like when its all put together right, nice and secure. little blurry but u get the picture

there ya go, took me a while of trying to figure out how to install this to notice how its done, they should have instructions cause its hard to miss it. hope this helps u guys.

and ps, in the back of mine i didnt use styrafoam like op did, i cut out that back plastic like he did, unbolted the metal part, then i bent the part that hast the hole in it where the factory plastic tab goes in to hold it up, i bent that so it faces toward the back of the car instead of down, used a hammer and a anvil, i did have it bending slightly down though, then u cut off access metal with a rotary tool and cutting disk cause it has a lip on it, then filed it flat, bolted a longer peace of metal to it facing me, so when i put the deck it it sits on the bottom of the deck and holds it up and keeps it fron dangleing in mid air, its a little more work but i didnt want styrafoam in back there that maybe could fall out. no worrys about the deck slipping back with doing the mounting plates right, when u bolt the front plate into ur car in factory location where u bolt the stock one, it wont be moving anywhere.

there ya go for a secure clean install. enjoy
Would you mind if I added this into the how-to? I'll credit you of course. These pictures are very thorough. I can't believe I missed this.. hahaha.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Go for it

Quick Reply: Interior: How To: Install a Double-DIN Aftermarket Headunit in your 05-06 Cobalt SS