Mid Central NE, KS, IA, MO, and IL

Traffic ticket opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic ticket opinion?

Ok, so here's my situation. I got a speeding ticket in July 09 for a 41 in a 30. Then in June 2010, I got another speeding ticket, also a 41 in a 30. For some reason, I thought I had taken the traffic safety class for the first ticket, so I paid the ticket and moved on. Everything was fine until the start of October when I was pulled over for having a taillight out and informed that my licensed was suspended. Long story short, I got my ticket from 2010 re-opened, scheduled traffic class and my suspension was dismissed.

So that's good, until about a month ago, one week before my class, I was pulled over for what the cop said was 'running a stop sign.' It was late, dark, a storm was moving in, I had ice in the car that was melting and at the very worst, I rolled through the stop sign while making a right turn. The roads were completely empty at the four way and the cop was parked behind some trees off to the side where I couldn't even see him. I tried to explain my situation to the officer, but no dice, he gave me a stop-sign ticket.

In Illinois, the law is that while you're under 21, two tickets in a two year period suspends your license. Once you hit 21, it's two tickets in a one year period. I have a pre-trial in early January, I turn 21 in early February. Right now, the ticket from 09 and this ticket technically will suspend my license again, putting me right back into an uber-shitty situation.
So I guess what i'm wondering, are there any legal options, short of hiring a lawyer and somehow winning my case, that will keep my license from being suspended again? I've had friends whose tickets have been made into 'non-moving violations' that keep it off their records, I know there is an 8 hour traffic class available in certain situations. I also know that sometimes, the DA is willing to cut you some slack.
I'm a full-time student/employee, I work for a property management company and I drive all the time as part of my job. I don't have any really bad traffic violations, no criminal record and i'm on the brink of being 21 and not having this situation apply to me in the first place. Right now, my plan is to go in there, planning on pleading not-guilty, but telling them i'm willing to pay the fine and pay any extra fines that they deem fit, if I can have an option to keep my license. I'm worried that even though my suspension was dismissed, it still counts somehow and I could lose my license for 6 months because I supposedly 'rolled through a stop.'

Thoughts? I'm a stupid college kid whose been caught making some minor traffic mistakes, which everyone is guilty of. I think it sucks that it could, potentially, really screw up my life.

P.S, I really hate Illinois.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say take lube. Bend over, pull your pants down, and get ready for the **** raping. Then become a better driver.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:54 AM

is it the same cop?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
in CA, i contest the ticket by written declaration. request it at the last possible minute (IE go in the day you're money is due). If i win that (i have thus far), its likely because the officer didnt submit his paperwork (they dont get paid overtime for trial by dec., unlike appearance trials, so there is little incentive for them to do the paperwork.

if it comes back guilty, then you can do a trial de novo which is an appearance trial and its as if the trial by dec never happened.
At this point, you can bring an attorney, hope the cop doesnt show, or talk to him before the case to see if you can lower your sentence to a non-moving violation.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

I would suggest you stop speeding and blowing stop signs, of course the cop was hiding behind a tree, he was waiting for someone to roll through the stop sign
Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 PM

I got my license suspended, only 3 tickets same as your case. but now I am ticket free for 5+ years. If you haven't gotten your license suspended in Illinois you haven't lived!

illinois sucks!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

Court Supervision?? I know in madison county you can get on court supervision only once every 12 months but they never check if you are on supervision so you can stack at least 2 supervisions simultaneously. Are all your tickets in the same county?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe you should just accept that you made the mistakes and man up.

That is the problem with society today. They are always trying to blame their problems on other people...
Old 12-13-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol

That is the problem with society today. They are always trying to blame their problems on other people...
XX2 you failed. and failed again. and again. so man up and take what you have coming to you.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol

true, but illinois driving laws and licensing is EXTREMELY retarded. example, drinking beer and mowing lawn on a riding lawn mower is a DUI (if you've already had a couple), front license plate must be on (so illinois and other states alike can get you on a speed camera, and the cops can check your plates in their mirror), 3 tickets under 21, suspended license (i don't know about you guys but not using a signal, not fully stopping, and a small bitty peel out will result in your license being suspended (3 tickets, gay.)

but, now that I'm 21 I can careless

jesse white needs to get the **** out of office! bring in a young white guy that loves sports cars
Old 12-14-2010, 03:54 AM

It would be worth your money to find an attorney that does traffic law that is friendly with the judge.It might cost a few bucks but will keep it off your record.It has worked several times for my son here in madison co.

Hey robertwhamm your sig says stl where are you il?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 AM

I would take any class available before the hearing and just be very nice and apologetic.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 AM

i always pay a lawyer $250 to go to court for my tickets. he always has them put on advisement or pay the fine and no points. if i get one of those drivers classe i just pay my buddy to go for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by reefone
i always pay a lawyer $250 to go to court for my tickets. he always has them put on advisement or pay the fine and no points. if i get one of those drivers classe i just pay my buddy to go for me.
haha, righttttt

You have to show your ID when you go to those classes. So you sir are a liar

As far as the situation goes man, get a lawyer to fight the ticket, will cost more then 250$ as said above but it'll keep your liscense.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Godly
haha, righttttt

As far as the situation goes man, get a lawyer to fight the ticket, will cost more then 250$ as said above but it'll keep your liscense.
dude i have no reason to lie on a stupid forum. he looks almost like me and they have never asked for id.
ive used my lawyer so many time thats why its only $250. usualy its $300 but i send him alot of business.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by reefone
dude i have no reason to lie on a stupid forum. he looks almost like me and they have never asked for id.
ive used my lawyer so many time thats why its only $250. usualy its $300 but i send him alot of business.
Its 500$ or more for any good lawyer usually.

and theres no way haha, they go all out here, you have to show your ID, they check eye color and everything.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Its 500$ or more for any good lawyer usually.

and theres no way haha, they go all out here, you have to show your ID, they check eye color and everything.
i havent had a driving class in a couple years so idk anymore. they may have changed it by now. i used to pay $100 to go to the class for me. this same buddy used to use my id to get into bars when he was underage. i got tired of paying the state for driving like a dick so i settled down quite a bit since i was younger.

op what u need to do is get a lawyer and everytime u get a ticket take it to him from the start. its easier and i sure cheaper to do it that way then wait until u too deep into it.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM

this thread made me lol.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rokon340
It would be worth your money to find an attorney that does traffic law that is friendly with the judge.It might cost a few bucks but will keep it off your record.It has worked several times for my son here in madison co.

Hey robertwhamm your sig says stl where are you il?
Hey man Im from Highland Illinois and I work at Northrop Grumman in Shiloh Illinois by Scott Air Force Base.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Banned

haha, righttttt

Actually, Classes here in Madison County (Illinois) are held at a local community college were they don't give a **** who you are as long as you write your name on a piece of paper stating simply a name, OR you can take their equally retarded class online which could easily be done by someone else.

Last edited by RA040424; 12-14-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 PM

plead guilty to a lesser charge (non moving)
Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by robertwhamm
Hey man Im from Highland Illinois and I work at Northrop Grumman in Shiloh Illinois by Scott Air Force Base.
OK dont get out that way often but live in Brighton,Il near Alton.But I am all over the place in the summer.Usually Eureka/six flags on the weekends when the park is open.
/threadjack