New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Hello (Cobalt) World

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello (Cobalt) World

Just picked up a 2008 Black Turbo. It has 133K miles, and it was in pretty rough shape as far as interior and exterior. I picked it up to have something a bit sporty to drive, and to try my hand at local AutoX.

After 10 or so hours detailing inside and out, my wife will now ride in the car. Fixed broken windshield, got the smell of 10 years of being driven by a smoker out, and buffed the paint back to an amazing shine...

I have been to 2 AutoX so far, and am having a blast :-) Not sure how competitive the car is, but with my inexperience as driver, I'm sure that the car is not what is holding me back right now :-) Seems like the little Cobalt might be a bit over matched in D Street by the WRX, Focus RS, and the Civic R's that are blasting to the top of PAX from little old D Street.....

Anyway, I am around middle of the pack in both class and PAX (but like 10 seconds back...) and learning each week.

This week I installed a new set of Bridgestone RE71's (replacing all-season Continentals) so anxious to see if that will knock a second or two off my time. Also ordered a Powell XXX rear bar, which I hope to have on soon. Next up are a set of Koni Yellows.... saving my pennys.

Anyway, maybe someone can answer this question:

Im getting a pretty good amount of torque steer WOT in 2nd gear. Is that just part of the charm, or should I be looking at steering components?

Anyway I plan to be pretty active here, so looking forward to learning from the experienced guys here!

Cheers!

Last edited by Specialized; 05-01-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Do you have lsd?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Hi
Old 05-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kolt
Do you have lsd?
Yep. G85 option.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Interesting, usually the lsd cars don't have much torque steer issues. Mine has a lsd and I don't seem to have any issue with torque steer on mine when I'm at the track. May have just a smidge of it at near wot in first but hardly any in 2nd/3rd and I'm running toyo all seasons. Have you driven with the new tires yet?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Interesting, usually the lsd cars don't have much torque steer issues. Mine has a lsd and I don't seem to have any issue with torque steer on mine when I'm at the track. May have just a smidge of it at near wot in first but hardly any in 2nd/3rd and I'm running toyo all seasons. Have you driven with the new tires yet?
Yes, driven the new tires around town a bit. Torque steer is about the same. I really dont notice it on the AX track, I guess because of lots of steering input all the time. I notice when I a messing around accelerating on straight road. Im kinda used to it, but I notice it scares the crap out of anyone else I let drive it for the first time....

Seems like in some other spot, I have seen CAB mentioned as a culprit in torque steer?

Old 05-02-2019, 01:02 PM

Yea, worn cabs can cause issues. the stock ones flex a lot even when they are good. Powell cabs are the way to go.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 143 Likes on 130 Posts
Yea, worn cabs can cause issues. the stock ones flex a lot even when they are good. Powell cabs are the way to go.
If you get a full set of Powell cabs you will have no issues. they are amazing.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
I meant to reply to check the CAB's. If they weren't changed before they are completely shot. If they were replaced with stock they are completely shot if it's been more than 20K miles.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Nice find OP, nice to see someone taking care of an abused car

That is assuming they won't put him into a different autox class.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
That is assuming they won't put him into a different autox class.
Upgraded cabs really put you in a different class? How would they even know?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:35 PM

Upgraded cabs really put you in a different class? How would they even know?
It's suspension modification, and usually, it's on the honor system.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Interesting. I got a lot to learn about autox rules then.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
welcome. call powell and order everything. thank me later.
The following users liked this post:
Dutchman (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
Haha, will do.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
There is a lot of truth here.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
The list of mods that won't bump you into a different class is extremely short. Basically can't change anything that would be a real performance enhancement. You're not even allowed to have a non-stock tune to stay in stock class. If you want to be competitive it would be better to stay away from mods. If you don't give a damn you can just run in the SMF class like I do. Sometimes it's competitive depending on who shows up but on a national level it wouldn't be.

Those RE71 tires will blow your mind compared to all seasons while doing AutoX. You will be surprised how much harder you can push it and still maintain grip.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
The list of mods that won't bump you into a different class is extremely short. Basically can't change anything that would be a real performance enhancement. You're not even allowed to have a non-stock tune to stay in stock class. If you want to be competitive it would be better to stay away from mods. If you don't give a damn you can just run in the SMF class like I do. Sometimes it's competitive depending on who shows up but on a national level it wouldn't be.

Those RE71 tires will blow your mind compared to all seasons while doing AutoX. You will be surprised how much harder you can push it and still maintain grip.
So to replace worn CAB, only option is to go to dealer, and buy stock?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:30 AM

They are pressed in but people have done them at home a few different ways. I wouldn't pay a dealer to do anything. It doesn't have to be OEM it just has to be OEM equivalent for the rules.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
They are pressed in but people have done them at home a few different ways. I wouldn't pay a dealer to do anything. It doesn't have to be OEM it just has to be OEM equivalent for the rules.
Yeah, I have seen a couple of Youtube videos, and it seems like it would be in my wheelhouse, both skills and tools, to do it myself at home. Just a little un-sure of what parts I can use. It there an "OEM equivalent" that wears better than what I would pick up at the Chevy parts counter?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Specialized
Yeah, I have seen a couple of Youtube videos, and it seems like it would be in my wheelhouse, both skills and tools, to do it myself at home. Just a little un-sure of what parts I can use. It there an "OEM equivalent" that wears better than what I would pick up at the Chevy parts counter?
Check Rock Auto. Also the dealer is a perfectly fine option if you like spending money. I'm not telling you not to, just that I wouldn't. You can get actual OEM parts about half price online compared to the dealer.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Update

Originally Posted by Specialized
Just picked up a 2008 Black Turbo. It has 133K miles, and it was in pretty rough shape as far as interior and exterior. I picked it up to have something a bit sporty to drive, and to try my hand at local AutoX.

After 10 or so hours detailing inside and out, my wife will now ride in the car. Fixed broken windshield, got the smell of 10 years of being driven by a smoker out, and buffed the paint back to an amazing shine...

I have been to 2 AutoX so far, and am having a blast :-) Not sure how competitive the car is, but with my inexperience as driver, I'm sure that the car is not what is holding me back right now :-) Seems like the little Cobalt might be a bit over matched in D Street by the WRX, Focus RS, and the Civic R's that are blasting to the top of PAX from little old D Street.....

Anyway, I am around middle of the pack in both class and PAX (but like 10 seconds back...) and learning each week.

This week I installed a new set of Bridgestone RE71's (replacing all-season Continentals) so anxious to see if that will knock a second or two off my time. Also ordered a Powell XXX rear bar, which I hope to have on soon. Next up are a set of Koni Yellows.... saving my pennys.

Anyway, maybe someone can answer this question:

Im getting a pretty good amount of torque steer WOT in 2nd gear. Is that just part of the charm, or should I be looking at steering components?

Anyway I plan to be pretty active here, so looking forward to learning from the experienced guys here!

Cheers!
Update: While I doubt I got a lot better with two more events under my seat, I did install tires, and my PAX gap went from about 10 seconds to around 6! (Unfortunately for me, the consistant PAX leaders at our events are a pair of Focus RS also running DS.....) Next week Ill have on my XXX bar, and see if I can keep inching closer :-) I ordered a bunch of OEM steering parts, and will replace my CABs and let everyone know if that seems to calm the torque steer....