Nitrous Oxide N20

The MythBusters Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
I kind of have multiple questions so bare with me..

Is it safe to run an IC sprayer bar in conjunction with a small 35 shot off of the same bottle? If so, how long could I expect from one 10lb bottle to last?

As previously mention in my last question, I am looking to run only a small 35 shot. I would really prefer to run a dry shot due to the pain of tapping off of the fuel lines in the DI LNF fueling system. Is a wet shot really my best bet or is a dry shot safe (with propper tuning of course)? Oh, and I'm only looking to spray from 4500 - 6500rpm so is a window switch best, or should I spray manually?

And last but not least here.. Will a 35 shot yield more power than say a 5gph meth setup, and is meth the safer power adder here?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is something that I've been tossing around for a while now. I'm just sort of new to spray setups. N/A small and big block V8's are more of my forte..

edit: I found a testport on the fuel rail.. my mistake.. so a wet shot wouldn't be as difficult as I originally thought, however I still feel more confident in running a dry shot for the DI system. Definitely feel free to correct me on anything if I'm wrong
Going to try and break this all down so its simple to read for you and everyone else.

1) Yes. The spray bar is their for cooling effect only. It will have no effect on tune. Such it is safe with any nitrous shot that would otherwise be safe.

2) Wet vs dry is preference in 90% of applications. If you have a way to "trigger" the nitrous tune dry works great. Wet is just typically easier to tune the fuel side because it is just changing jets. With so many questions I would suggest giving me a phone call. Talking with someone will clear a lot of this up real fast and I think you will see its simpler than you think. On a manual car I would always recommend a window switch. Its one less thing to go wrong and prevents a lot of backfires that could occur without one.

3) Without questions. Meth isnt really a power adder per say, meth will add power through a slight cooling effect and the ability to run a more aggressive tuneup. Just adding the meth will not have a significant power increase. It is the added timing that increase power. Nitrous has a huge cooling effect as well as the increase air. Once doesnt mean you cant run the other tho. They work grand together too
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would the cooling oil jets under the piston dome count for ANYTHING?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
the mk5 gti guys have been spraying for years. i have never personally sprayed a DI motor but there are tons of people who have. someone needs to be a guinea pig.
You buy and Ill strap it on
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buellfooll
Would the cooling oil jets under the piston dome count for ANYTHING?
As far as a nitrous application no.

That is why I edited my comment on the end there. It's not so much that it would be difficult to tap off of the fuel rail, it's more in the whole fuel delivery design of a DI setup that I would be concerned about, more specifically the piston design relative to the injectors, plugs, and combustion chamber. You know what I'm trying to say here?

yes this is of course very true, however it is also in a very specific and concentrated area on the piston. Unlike a port injected engine where the areal is much less concentrated and the fuel can safely spread about the cylinder and combustion chamber safely. This is where I'm not sure if things get sketchy or not. Is the area of combustion so tight and specific that detonation and misfiring is possible due to unburnt fuel? Again, I could be wrong but it seems to make sense that this could be an issue
We have sprayed many DI cars. The fuel added is pretty minute vs the total fuel in the charge. The system does not have issues with a wet shot.

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
the mk5 gti guys have been spraying for years. i have never personally sprayed a DI motor but there are tons of people who have. someone needs to be a guinea pig.
We might have sprayed a couple. Works like you would hope. Amazing.

Originally Posted by 09BlueBaltSS
You buy and Ill strap it on
Ill hook you up.