North Central ND, SD, MN, and WI

Minnesota Balts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey porter

vtec and i are plannin on doin the wing swap this coming weekend on saturday morning before i gotta work. just wonderin if you wanted to stop by. i'd love to see the mods on your car and hear that exhaust

(which im sure vtec would love to also)
Old 01-29-2007, 06:23 PM

Hoffa - that'd be cool... what time you guys thinking? Hopefully I'll get the silver halos by then. Shoot me a message with info...
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by hoffa
hey porter

vtec and i are plannin on doin the wing swap this coming weekend on saturday morning before i gotta work. just wonderin if you wanted to stop by. i'd love to see the mods on your car and hear that exhaust

(which im sure vtec would love to also)
I was going to leave the cities here around 8 or 9 am...how long does it take to get down there?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by vtecduster
I was going to leave the cities here around 8 or 9 am...how long does it take to get down there?
2 hours or so, depending on what you take. i'll email with directions. its actually very easy to get here
Old 01-30-2007, 10:26 AM

yea Vtec - you're looking at 2 hours whether you take 52 to I90 or if you take 55 to Hastings and get on 61 and follow the river all the way down. The only thing with 61 is you're bound to get stuck behind some birdwatchers between Red Wing and Wabasha, plus its only 2 lanes... but once get past Wabasha, 4 lanes & 65+ all the way to Wino-land...
Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 AM

i used to drive between the cities and wsu every weekend when i went to school there. i found it was easier to take 52 through rochester to i-90. it may not necessarily be the shortest route, but there were a lot less small towns and getting stuck behind the one person doing 50 mph on 61. i remember it was hard to pass on 61 sometimes. plus you can really cruise on i-90 cause there is very little down there, flat and straight.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:39 PM

Sweet. I'll leave the cities here by 9am. I'm bringing a buddy to help out (i figured the more hands the better).

Hey Porter, which exhaust do you have? I've got my fingers crossed it's the gmpp performance as I ordered mine today
Old 01-31-2007, 03:31 PM

sorry vtec - I got the Touring, but you'll know that yours will be louder at least. The Touring has a nice, loud and low tone when you get on it...
Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM

Sweet. I'll leave the cities here by 9am. I'm bringing a buddy to help out (i figured the more hands the better).

Hey Porter, which exhaust do you have? I've got my fingers crossed it's the gmpp performance as I ordered mine today
Well I have the GMPP Sport exhaust and I must say it’s a lot louder than stock. While cruising at 70-80mph on the HWY I can still hear it roaring in the car. I love to rev the engine a lot now cuz it just sounds so much aggressive.

Hey Kat 01, you still think about gettin a Cobalt?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:33 AM

planning on getting one still, hopefully spring. we got his grand prix paid off, we just gotta send the tranny in and get a race tranny, planning on doing that when taxes come in. if there's extra money, or it breaks agan and get parted out, i'd like to do a few basic things. hopefully i'll have it before too many meets pass.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:14 AM

sweet, more hands to help out on whats supposed to be a very cold day. don't you worry though... i have a small garage

how big of a difference is there between the gmpp and the corsa exhaust systems?? i think i'll finally have the chance to get one when taxes come back

hey vtec... we should have just made a meet out of this

Last edited by hoffa; 02-01-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM

sweet, more hands to help out on whats supposed to be a very cold day. don't you worry though... i have a small garage

how big of a difference is there between the gmpp and the corsa exhaust systems?? i think i'll finally have the chance to get one when taxes come back

hey vtec... we should have just made a meet out of this
lol it pretty much is a meet now, one more car and it'll match our best turnout

All I know about the corsa is that it's more expensive, so I went with the GMPP (which is made by borla anyway if I'm not mistaken).
Old 02-01-2007, 08:21 PM

lol it pretty much is a meet now, one more car and it'll match our best turnout

All I know about the corsa is that it's more expensive, so I went with the GMPP (which is made by borla anyway if I'm not mistaken).
maybe poolboyz will venture down here with ya or i'll just have my roommate who owns a civic join in with us, make him feel special

so with the exhausts, there really is no gain or flow difference?? basically same everything just one is a few hundred dollars more or does corsa use better materials and all that other brew-ha-ha to justify the price.

thats right... i said brew-ha-ha
Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 AM

Talking 1st Annual Winter Wino(na) Meet! First come,...

...first to freeze your tail off! Gonna be a scorching 0 degrees for a high temp! Come one, come all!!!

Hoffa, there is better flow but as far as my own gains - I couldn't tell ya. Never got a dyno before or after upgrades...
Old 02-02-2007, 01:09 PM

maybe poolboyz will venture down here with ya or i'll just have my roommate who owns a civic join in with us, make him feel special

so with the exhausts, there really is no gain or flow difference?? basically same everything just one is a few hundred dollars more or does corsa use better materials and all that other brew-ha-ha to justify the price.

thats right... i said brew-ha-ha
There is a big improvement when you step up to GMPP and other aftermarket exhaust systems. Exhaust and upgrading your supercharger are the probably the biggest bang for your buck improvements.

I have Magnaflow catback and GMPP manifold. I'm thinking I'll add a Magnaflow cat this summer. The sound is the biggest difference between brands I think. There are others such as bigger pipes which gives better flow. I think GMPP is 1.75" and Magna is 2" in diameter???

Corsa will sound more raspy, the GMPP is closer to stock, and the Magna is somewhat in between with a little more emphasis on a deeper growl tone. You will get HP out of it, much more notablyif you do full exhaust. You will also notice your car reving less restrictively. The sound will change over time too, mine developed a very small backfire when spooling down the revs. I hate exhaust that backfires, but I actually like this because its very subtle.

I'd offer to have you hear, but its too friking cold and my pipes need some sealing work....I need to tighten up some rattles that come and go...and I have door dings.... Once it warms up a bit I'd be willing if you want to hear.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM

maybe poolboyz will venture down here
Sorry guys, gotta work this weekend
Old 02-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike06cobalt
There is a big improvement when you step up to GMPP and other aftermarket exhaust systems. Exhaust and upgrading your supercharger are the probably the biggest bang for your buck improvements.

I have Magnaflow catback and GMPP manifold. I'm thinking I'll add a Magnaflow cat this summer. The sound is the biggest difference between brands I think. There are others such as bigger pipes which gives better flow. I think GMPP is 1.75" and Magna is 2" in diameter???

Corsa will sound more raspy, the GMPP is closer to stock, and the Magna is somewhat in between with a little more emphasis on a deeper growl tone. You will get HP out of it, much more notablyif you do full exhaust. You will also notice your car reving less restrictively. The sound will change over time too, mine developed a very small backfire when spooling down the revs. I hate exhaust that backfires, but I actually like this because its very subtle.

I'd offer to have you hear, but its too friking cold and my pipes need some sealing work....I need to tighten up some rattles that come and go...and I have door dings.... Once it warms up a bit I'd be willing if you want to hear.

i believe magnaflow uses 2.5" piping and the GMPP is 2.25". There is a thread somewhere on here where a guy dyno'd a bone stock ss/sc and then with the gmpp. He got something like 10 wtq and 12whp out of it. I dynod my car in it's current setup, and will get around to doing one with the exhaust on there to show stage 2 gains with it.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:32 PM

well - got the halos in and they look pretty sharp... after a little bit of elbow grease and some swear words, all is good! Took me about 1.5 hours, but granted its 8 degrees out - had to warm up a few times...
Old 02-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by portergraph
well - got the halos in and they look pretty sharp... after a little bit of elbow grease and some swear words, all is good! Took me about 1.5 hours, but granted its 8 degrees out - had to warm up a few times...
excellent, can't wait to see em
Old 02-02-2007, 05:15 PM

^
did you adjust them as well or no?

I mean I know you have to but was it too cold for you to do it?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mike06cobalt

lol.. what i meant was is there a difference in gains and flow between the corsa and the gmpp, not with aftermarket vs stock.

im not thaaaaat new to this game

im going to try to get a new header, downpipe and an exhaust at the same time so i can get it all on in one nice set up, im just having troubles on which system to get, gmpp or corsa.

... not to mention if it all would fit together... thats another issue ill deal with in a couple of months
Old 02-03-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 06VRCoupe
^
did you adjust them as well or no?

I mean I know you have to but was it too cold for you to do it?
Haven't adjusted them yet - to adjust, there's four screws behind the bulb... at first glance by looking at the garage wall, the lights appeared to be level & same height... but that's 3 feet away. Had some friends over last night which prevented me from backing out and aiming them at the garage door.

Keeping the fingers crossed that no adjustments will be needed - I know, wishful thinking...

One thing I did notice after install, one of the LEDs isn't set where its supposed to be. (don't know if it was that way before install or not - hard to see with all the chrome) Its there and it turns on, but is 1 inch back. I must have loosened it up while I was getting the light in. Gonna have to take the light out anyways to get at it, but for now - I'm not too worried. They're in and I'm happy.

Maybe I'll do a little write up/how to about the wire splicing for LEDs and halos - its not hard at all, but I know the how-to that's posted for installing them - isn't as clear as it could be and i saw some people were questioning it.

VR - Go to the how-to and where it mentions "remove this clip" - that's where you'll want to completely disconnect the wiring and take it inside (unless you got a heated garage) and do the splicing. Its much easier to see the wires and to work with. You'll need a total of 4 pairs of insulated connectors. 2 per light.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 PM

vtec, glad we could do buisness! i like how the higher profile wing looks on these cars, although not being able to see out of my rear window is going to get old fast... lol

the low pro looked sharp with the ss/sc body style btw, how do you like it?

word to the wise to everyone.... do not try to the swap in the middle of winter. the epoxy OWNED us. 3 guys, two hair dryers, 6lb test fishing line (tripled up) and two hammers still could not get the wing off.

but.. the trunk lid bolts came off pretty easily

hey poolboyz... do you still do photoshop work? i would like a sig if possible
Old 02-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Post up a good pic of your car with the new wing. Then I can turn it into a sig for ya.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:17 AM

vtec, glad we could do buisness! i like how the higher profile wing looks on these cars, although not being able to see out of my rear window is going to get old fast... lol

the low pro looked sharp with the ss/sc body style btw, how do you like it?

word to the wise to everyone.... do not try to the swap in the middle of winter. the epoxy OWNED us. 3 guys, two hair dryers, 6lb test fishing line (tripled up) and two hammers still could not get the wing off.

but.. the trunk lid bolts came off pretty easily

I was smiling at my rear view mirror on the way back up to the cities as I was able to use it for the first time in my car. I like the new look alot and glad you do too. My buddy thinks I'm a retard for trading away my big wing, but he's a hater. We could have seriously cut like 1.5 hours off of the time we used up if we would have just gone straight to the decklid swap in the first place. Live and learn. If anyone else decides they want to do this, get ahold of one of us for a bunch of advice.

BTW, I'm now looking for someone with a high profile SS/SC wing to trade me for my low pro wing. J/K

Quick Reply: Minnesota Balts