Parts Buy and sell your parts
Mark this thread as Unsold

Wanted LSD and gear kit for F35

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSD and gear kit for F35

Hi guys trying to track down a LSD and at the extreme long shot a gear kit for an F35 gearbox
Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by axeisme
Hi guys trying to track down a LSD and at the extreme long shot a gear kit for an F35 gearbox
By "gear kit" do you mean the 6-speed conversion? Also, the Cobalt F35s had 3 different final drive ratios: the 4.05 final drive (stock LSJ), the 4.45 final drive (Grand-Am/Koni/Time Attack LSJ), or the 3.82 final drive (stock LNF). Not sure if that made a difference (moot point if you're looking for the 6-speed conversion though). The 6-speed conversion can be purchased new online.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
So can the LSD.

And a little correction... LNF Cobalts came with the 3.82. LNF HHR's came with the 4.05. All LNF's have a stronger/thicker case though.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
By "gear kit" do you mean the 6-speed conversion? Also, the Cobalt F35s had 3 different final drive ratios: the 4.05 final drive (stock LSJ), the 4.45 final drive (Grand-Am/Koni/Time Attack LSJ), or the 3.82 final drive (stock LNF). Not sure if that made a difference (moot point if you're looking for the 6-speed conversion though). The 6-speed conversion can be purchased new online.
Basically I'm looking for the 6-speed conversion used if possible or if somebody was looking to sell one cheap that they didnt want. Also I have seen a few LSD's for sale that I haven't seen in time, these used LSD if they are the quaife ones are a great option if they are cheap. the Quaife designed LSD's are basically a seal it up and forget about it option. Don't need any servicing and I have never heard of any breaking. Making a used one not a bad option. I have a Saab 9-3 Viggen and Saab owners all around the world have these F35/F25 boxes falling apart on them. and when your car is running 500nm of torque they dont appreciate anything but highway excellerations (incredible non the less). This is why I'm looking to get the LSD and Gear kit (Quaife 6-speed).

The LSD and Gear kit from quaife is used for drag racing by Nick taliaferro who is one of the most reknowned saab tuners. his street viggen has 500Hp 500Ftlbs, he also has an new gen 900 2.0 that has 540whp and has run 11.47 @ 127 Mph. no issues ever with the quaife so I'm looking for a similar set up.

Sorry for the massive rant but thats some background
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Basically I'm looking for the 6-speed conversion used if possible or if somebody was looking to sell one cheap that they didnt want. Also I have seen a few LSD's for sale that I haven't seen in time, these used LSD if they are the quaife ones are a great option if they are cheap. the Quaife designed LSD's are basically a seal it up and forget about it option. Don't need any servicing and I have never heard of any breaking. Making a used one not a bad option. I have a Saab 9-3 Viggen and Saab owners all around the world have these F35/F25 boxes falling apart on them. and when your car is running 500nm of torque they dont appreciate anything but highway excellerations (incredible non the less). This is why I'm looking to get the LSD and Gear kit (Quaife 6-speed).

The LSD and Gear kit from quaife is used for drag racing by Nick taliaferro who is one of the most reknowned saab tuners. his street viggen has 500Hp 500Ftlbs, he also has an new gen 900 2.0 that has 540whp and has run 11.47 @ 127 Mph. no issues ever with the quaife so I'm looking for a similar set up.

Sorry for the massive rant but thats some background
I don't blame you! I have a Quaife LSD in my garage waiting to go in. I have the LSD, I have someone to install it. I'm just waiting to pull the trigger, mostly because my transmission has been absolutely bulletproof and I'm almost superstitious about ripping it open to install the LSD then having it fail.

The 6-speed conversion might be a tad trickier to find, not many Cobalt owners have ponied up for them. You MIGHT find an Ariel Atom owner with an LSJ who got one.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:32 PM

I don't blame you! I have a Quaife LSD in my garage waiting to go in. I have the LSD, I have someone to install it. I'm just waiting to pull the trigger, mostly because my transmission has been absolutely bulletproof and I'm almost superstitious about ripping it open to install the LSD then having it fail.

The 6-speed conversion might be a tad trickier to find, not many Cobalt owners have ponied up for them. You MIGHT find an Ariel Atom owner with an LSJ who got one.
lucky man!

Yeah I wonder how many Ariel Atom owners are about? haha
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM

I have a spare trans with a quaife LSD installed. Brand new. If you got a different ring/pinion ".445" I think you would like that better than the 6 speed conversion.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Genuine Saab Has the gearsets
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by terry11
I have a spare trans with a quaife LSD installed. Brand new. If you got a different ring/pinion ".445" I think you would like that better than the 6 speed conversion.
Genuine saab have a used .445 gear set yes. I'm after the quaife set though simply because The standard box cant handle the power. The quaife set is considerably strong. also I would prefer to lengthen 1st not shorten it. Thanks for the idea though. definitely something to consider.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 PM

For the LSD, just keep browsing the Classifieds section here. I picked mine up for $500 shipped, I've seen them go as low as $350 shipped, most go in the $400-500 range. Still considerably cheaper than new.

Keep an eye on ZZP's stuff. I've seen the 6-speed kit brand new marked down significantly once before, and I think it was ZZPerformance that did it, but usually if it's a big discount it'll be posted on here and you'll have to PM them for the offer code.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM

For the LSD, just keep browsing the Classifieds section here. I picked mine up for $500 shipped, I've seen them go as low as $350 shipped, most go in the $400-500 range. Still considerably cheaper than new.

Keep an eye on ZZP's stuff. I've seen the 6-speed kit brand new marked down significantly once before, and I think it was ZZPerformance that did it, but usually if it's a big discount it'll be posted on here and you'll have to PM them for the offer code.
Yeah I think I'll just have to keep searching on here, being patient
Thanks for all the help so far, always welcomed from all.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
lucky man!

Yeah I wonder how many Ariel Atom owners are about? haha
There's a few around. I don't know how much they visit here though.

NormL and Bolus are the two that come to mind right away. One does have the 6-speed swap.

I don't know that ZZP ever had one... maybe they gave it a try. But TTR is the one that regularly offers it... or used to, at least. Not too many of them were bought by Cobalt owners, so you might be looking for a LOOOOOONG while.

HOWEVER, ZZPerformance.com does offer a "Stage 2" transmission on their website, in case you decide to go that route, instead.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
There's a few around. I don't know how much they visit here though.

NormL and Bolus are the two that come to mind right away. One does have the 6-speed swap.

I don't know that ZZP ever had one... maybe they gave it a try. But TTR is the one that regularly offers it... or used to, at least. Not too many of them were bought by Cobalt owners, so you might be looking for a LOOOOOONG while.

HOWEVER, ZZPerformance.com does offer a "Stage 2" transmission on their website, in case you decide to go that route, instead.
Yeah I have found an ariel forum too i think norm may be on there too? Of course it's a lot slower due to the smaller amount of owners. This is a great forum and I'm sure something will pop up soon