Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

Is painting your trunk black stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
yea that is a good look, except for the red lights on the trunk and tinted lights on the car lol

If you are going to do that trunk, I would do the top of the car and the hood, so its not like a sore thumb sticking out there.

I have a CF hood and CF trunk, I got both because I got amazing deals on them, and anyone that says it is a "tiny" difference hasnt ever held one of those pieces, it shaves a lot of weight out. I dont even have to lift my hood, the shock does it for me where as the stock hood you have to lift it most of the way and its the same with the trunk. I would have CF doors but they are extremely unsafe for street use.

so what you are saying is there is a guaranteed performance upgrade with each CF part that is not only noticable but also well worth the average 600 median price for said upgrade
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not every CF piece, but as for the hood, and possibly the trunk, then yes it is a noticeable change, I race my car a lot and it has made a difference. I paid $720 for both of my pieces combined.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 AM

im assuming you mean race your car on the track? and uve seen faster times with the CF pieces without modifying anything else on the car?

my point is most people do it with the intent of it looks first with performance a very close secondary... and theres nothing wrong with that
Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 AM

it went off the guys topic lol
Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Banned

3m Vinyl

Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 AM

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Balt
it went off the guys topic lol
Not as bad as any of Cobe's threads. I'm fine with it.

Originally Posted by Cobaltsaint
3m Vinyl

That looks good. I definitely want to try it but my savings will be officially drained on Tuesday. I'll have $1.31 left in there haha. Student loans are a bitch.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
im assuming you mean race your car on the track? and uve seen faster times with the CF pieces without modifying anything else on the car?

my point is most people do it with the intent of it looks first with performance a very close secondary... and theres nothing wrong with that
I did notice a difference without changing other things. I know I am different and I definitely agree with you that MOST ppl do it for the look and not for the performance aspect.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:02 AM

and by notice a difference you have time slips showing you go faster in the quarter... i'm just saying because without real physical proof you may think its a noticeable difference when its not really just because you know you added the part so you want it to be faster and so it "feels" like it when its really the same. I know ive done things to my balt that i wanted to be better so when i first had them they were the **** but after a few months i did a more extensive "review" and noticed they werent. Placebo effect basiclly

I had a customer at the stereo shop i work at buy a sub amp install and for whatever reason we put the amp under his driver side seat. It was a mono amp with 2 outputs so it was hooked up to the a output with the b side without any wires... since he has a mono amp both the a and b are connected internally and how its hooked up makes no difference. when he picked up the car he herd it and saw the sub was only connected to the a input so he came back in the shop and said its not loud enough and we don't know what were doing because we didn't install the sub "bridged". Now this was a busy day so i didnt really have time to argue with this guy who honestly had no idea what he was talking about. I said oh my bad im sorry bro let me fix that for you. I moved one of the wires to the b side of the amp so it looks "bridged" even thou i knew that you can't bridge a mono amp and how its wired and how it was wired is exactly the same. I asked him hows that bro? he turned it back on (mind you he only herd it for maybe 30 seconds at the most before) he said "oh ya thats way louder im glad i came in to tell you guys) i apologized again and sent him on his way. It was louder for him because some douche told him all amps need to be bridged and he has seen how an amp looks like when its bridged, yet it wasn't bridged and it was really the exact same power and spl volume.

I'm not saying that you're wrong and there's no way it could be faster with the cf parts but what i'm trying to say is: without a benefit of a doubt, can only the cf hood or cf trunk alone can shave enough weight for a measurable difference in performance on every cobalt out there.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol did you tell him his brake light fluid was low when he left....smh sould have said if you add cans to his spokes he can sound like a moto gp motorcycle.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
and by notice a difference you have time slips showing you go faster in the quarter... i'm just saying because without real physical proof you may think its a noticeable difference when its not really just because you know you added the part so you want it to be faster and so it "feels" like it when its really the same. I know ive done things to my balt that i wanted to be better so when i first had them they were the **** but after a few months i did a more extensive "review" and noticed they werent. Placebo effect basiclly

I had a customer at the stereo shop i work at buy a sub amp install and for whatever reason we put the amp under his driver side seat. It was a mono amp with 2 outputs so it was hooked up to the a output with the b side without any wires... since he has a mono amp both the a and b are connected internally and how its hooked up makes no difference. when he picked up the car he herd it and saw the sub was only connected to the a input so he came back in the shop and said its not loud enough and we don't know what were doing because we didn't install the sub "bridged". Now this was a busy day so i didnt really have time to argue with this guy who honestly had no idea what he was talking about. I said oh my bad im sorry bro let me fix that for you. I moved one of the wires to the b side of the amp so it looks "bridged" even thou i knew that you can't bridge a mono amp and how its wired and how it was wired is exactly the same. I asked him hows that bro? he turned it back on (mind you he only herd it for maybe 30 seconds at the most before) he said "oh ya thats way louder im glad i came in to tell you guys) i apologized again and sent him on his way. It was louder for him because some douche told him all amps need to be bridged and he has seen how an amp looks like when its bridged, yet it wasn't bridged and it was really the exact same power and spl volume.

I'm not saying that you're wrong and there's no way it could be faster with the cf parts but what i'm trying to say is: without a benefit of a doubt, can only the cf hood or cf trunk alone can shave enough weight for a measurable difference in performance on every cobalt out there.
I do have times slips that show a difference, unfortunately the weight difference isnt so large that someone couldnt stroll in here and say better traction, better track prep, better temperatures, etc. The car does show a lower overall weight on the scale.

I do agree most cars here, or cars in general, will never be pushed to their limits to the point where every ounce of weight makes a difference and Im not saying I push mine that far, but I sure try.

I absolutely agree with the placebo effect, I have seen it enough to be able to agree from various things.

lets just agree that some of us here will buy these pieces for their intended need, and will see a real difference where as, others will buy them and then say they have seen a difference when on the street with all of the other factors, they really havent and its for a certain look.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Banned

most people think my **** is carbon :lol, for cost of CF your better going with go fast mods
Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 PM

I do have times slips that show a difference, unfortunately the weight difference isnt so large that someone couldnt stroll in here and say better traction, better track prep, better temperatures, etc. The car does show a lower overall weight on the scale.

I do agree most cars here, or cars in general, will never be pushed to their limits to the point where every ounce of weight makes a difference and Im not saying I push mine that far, but I sure try.

I absolutely agree with the placebo effect, I have seen it enough to be able to agree from various things.

lets just agree that some of us here will buy these pieces for their intended need, and will see a real difference where as, others will buy them and then say they have seen a difference when on the street with all of the other factors, they really havent and its for a certain look.

hwo much does ur car weight on the scale? and where do u get it weighed? ive wanted to see how heavy my car is for years but never have
Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 PM

I use the scale at the 1/4 mile drag strip here. before the CF it weighed 3050 with me in it, after the CF (and a diet on my part lol) it came in at 2900 in street trim (I have to run it with the interior and **** in the car because of the class I race in)

I know it seems like im saying that my car lost 150lbs from CF, but gotta remember I also got rid of the wing and I lost almost 30 lbs on my diet.

I havent done it with this car, but with my DSM we would go to a truck stop that had scales and use them. Most truck stops are getting them nowadays. The "cat" ones are pretty spot on, just gotta make sure its a full scale and not a corner scale (they have corner scales where the scales measure weight where the wheels are and then add them all up, our cars arent long enough to set the sensors off lol)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I use the scale at the 1/4 mile drag strip here. before the CF it weighed 3050 with me in it, after the CF (and a diet on my part lol) it came in at 2900 in street trim (I have to run it with the interior and **** in the car because of the class I race in)

I know it seems like im saying that my car lost 150lbs from CF, but gotta remember I also got rid of the wing and I lost almost 30 lbs on my diet.

I havent done it with this car, but with my DSM we would go to a truck stop that had scales and use them. Most truck stops are getting them nowadays. The "cat" ones are pretty spot on, just gotta make sure its a full scale and not a corner scale (they have corner scales where the scales measure weight where the wheels are and then add them all up, our cars arent long enough to set the sensors off lol)
Bet there was a difference in fuel level.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by nobody2u
Bet there was a difference in fuel level.
Im gonna say you are probably right there, I dont know how much of a difference there would be between the days, but I know it wasnt large, I dont race with less than half a tank in the car. I want as little possibility of fuel starvation as possible.