Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

The Porsche 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada The Porsche 944

Alright, Here is a bit of background of the Supercharged Porsche 944 Project that I just started in July. "Twin Screw 944"

Please do not feel that I'm trying to invade the SS forum, This is simply meant to be a detailed thread on what can be done to a Small Displacement Rear Wheel Drive car to give other members ideas or spark questions that could/should be answered. This is the Internet and it's primary function asside from **** is Learning from others...

Hello, for those who have not seen me around, I'm Brian and I'm currently rebuilding a 944 that I picked up off a friend this summer. It's mostly in pieces now, but this past summer I had a blast with it. It's such a great car with classic lines and great performance. I'm normally a bit of a Mazda Guy... Check out My Mazda if you like... MAZDA LINK

So I'll post up some ideas that I'm working on here to give you an idea about the plan..

Ok, Basically the Protege Project know as MP5T has more than lived up to my hopes. The Car Feels like a street Legal Go-Kart. It looks the way I want and it Just plainly makes me happy to drive. So A New Project is Born.

The Basic Goal is a 300 KM/H Car. It's geared for Top Speed, something I miss in the Protege. The P5 is stellar on the 1/4 or the street, but it's just not fast on the highway. 220 Km/h feels like it's going to Rev to destruction.

E-Bay is the Devil. I have already bought over 20 Things for the car. I will reserve some spots and fire up some sub heading for the diferent projects just like the MP5T Rebuild.

here is a GOAL picture of what I would like the car to end up looking like..

After Cleaning up the 944 it was a great looking car. With over 290,000 Km on the Engine and Tranny. It was time for some TLC.

Fast Porsche

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=228019

The Teardown

I removed the entire Fan Blower, A/C. Heater Core today. Saved so much weight and the enire dash is empty less the structire. A Swag place to hide some No2.

The day ended with two full size garbage cans full and 10 items being posted on E-Bay.

I can't wait till the motor and Paint are done, This car will boot on the highway effortlessly.

I Needed new fenders for the new 944 Turbo Front that has arrived so i ordered Fiberglass replacements to save weight. They were not cheap but will help in so many ways. So I started to pull the shizzy appart. I'm going to get the parts painted seperately off of the car and then assemble them later.

Here is how it looked before the engine came out. The Car is up and stripped. The tranny is going to be sold for a 968 Speed Tranny with the final drive from a 1989 944 Turbo Tranny which has much taller gearing. Final Drive will be 3.74:1 WOW!

I'm going to keep the "Widebody" kit but there was some rust it seems behind it. It's ready for a good dose of Sandblast, Prime, Paint, Clear.

1x 968 Rear Wing. Direct Swap With 944 Rubber Boot..

Here is a picture of what it looks like on a 944

I have a 1989 944 180 MPH Speedo for the Rebuild. Final Drive of 3.75:1 is going into the 6 Speed Gearbox to allow for highspeed at the cost of acceleration. Horsepower and Torque from a supercharger will overcome the diference and the shifting will be like Butter.

Just got the rear Reflector Update kit to replace the old one with the crack...

Engine Being Removed...

Alright, So here is a bit of a FLAME towards Mazda. I have heard of HORROR STORIES in reference to Auto-X + Oil Starvation = Spun Main and Zoom Zoom Boom...

Did you ever wonder if a Mazda Protégé 5 or MSP could enter the 24h Of Le Mans and survive? The Race is one of the most difficult on mechanical parts ever. A Car can be fast or a car can last, But here... A car must last and go fast. So I do have a point. The Mazda oil pan is Steel and bowl shaped. Almost no heat transfer out and if you are in a hard corner, the oil simply sloshes over to the side and can’t be sucked up by the engine. The 944 has an Aluminum Oil Pan with massive fins (Heat Sink) that would literally suck the heat out of the oil and the oil pan is shaped one inch from the crank and then falls off almost one foot into the sump. It is impossible to starve for oil. By the time the sump is dry, the oil has built up so much that it's litterally falling back into the sump. Perfect. Now the oil pan with Aluminum and heat sink cools the oil.. Why didn't Mazda think of that...Like Hello The 944 that I'm working on is a 1986... they have had almost 20 Years to copy this... Here is the Killer for me, the nail in the coffin as it were. The Oil Pan is mechanically a suitable oil cooler, there is a second Oil cooler, a small "Radiator" style oil cooler, sits in the coolant that is coming from the radiator. No wonder the ******* thing doesn't blow up all over the ******* Track. Mazda... Corner Store, Spun Main, Porsche 944, The "Cheap Porsche" Oil Cooling Overkill. **** YES, I'm so impressed I'm beside myself. This is why people spend $50,000 On Sports Cars..

I Turned a Mazda into a Sport Compact. I made many mods to make it able to go fast reliably. Porsche Took a 24H Le Mans race Car and turned it into a street car. Holy ****, What a Fantastic Idea...

So Here are some Pictures of a totally impressive piece of hardware, It has over 290,000 Km on it and it's hardly showing it, No Scoring on the Cylinders, No Cooked pistons, Hardly any carbon... Brilliant...

I'm Done Ragging on Mazda for tonight..

So Today I put over 5 Hours into the intake Manifold. Some of it is close but I figure that It will get over 20 more Hours to get it to look like chrome.

There are parts in these pictures that have massive scratches from the Rough sandpaper. It's slow going at 320 Grit Wet Sanding and my arms and fingers are simply not able to do any more today...

Bitchn' Manifold Update 15 October 2005

Holy Crap! I think I know why it's called the "CRANK"...

The first person must have seen a Porsche Engine Open and decided to call it the CRANK after becoming Aroused...Randy...

Oct 29/05

Got the front suspension back together and put the front tires. Lowered the Front of the car. Removed the fuel delivery system and all the rotten fuel lines (All Lines).

All Wires in the engine compartment plus the fuse panel were disconnected and fed through the firewall to be taped, marked and bagged.

Most of the fuel tank was disconnected. The Tank is being swapped out for a small Race tank near the center of the car to reduce the effect of weight shift in the corners.

Here are some pictures of the progress.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:22 AM

Nov 1/05

I have decided that for two reasons, I will have a conventional "Boost" Only indicator like on a normal supercharged car that reads before the throttle body and a "Boost/Vac" that reads the pressure in the intake manifold, (What boost the engine is getting). It will give me the ability to see what boost the engine will spike to just before hitting punching wide open throttle plus give me the ability to see how the supercharger is working independant of the engine. So Here is what will be on the A Pillar.

The Boost Only will be before the throttlebody and will tell what the supercharger is making
The Vac/Boost Will inidicate what the engine is getting. It will vary with throttle position like a turbo.

Here is some stuff I bought for the rebuild...

MSD Fuel Pump

Multiport EFI systems require a stable fuel supply to maintain the best performance throughout the engine's rpm range. This high pressure and high flow fuel pump features a roller vane pump mechanism which is extremely resistant to clogging and jamming. The pump mounts in-line (out of the tank) with two supplied cushioned clamps for a quick and sturdy installation. The nipple inlet is 3/8 in. with a 5/16 in. outlet and the wire terminals feature brass studs for secure connections. Made in the USA, the pump is ideal for use as a booster for nitrous oxide applications, or as a stand alone pump for multiport EFI systems on engines up to approximately 500 HP.

Fuel Filter

SS Brake Lines

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a new Clutch Set are on the way as well..

Here is some info on the lysholm Supercharger that I bought for the 944. It seems that it will be extremely well suited for high boost applications. Of all the types it seems to be the most capable at adding a massive volume of air but it also seems that it has a negative draw of HP all the time. WHO CARES. The Positives will more than outweigh the negatives according to my Supercharger Counterpart on the Mazda Forums....

The Lysholm supercharger looks similar to a helical Roots blower, but with rotors that are far more twisted, and have a conical taper. The result is that these "screw-type" compressors have an internal compression ratio, making them more efficient in high-boost applications. One disadvantage of this internal compression ratio is higher parasitic losses during off-boost operation. A Roots blower can be bypassed with a simple butterfly valve at part throttle and the only drag will be the mecahnical movement of its gears and lobes (which accounts for only about 0.3 hp according to Eaton). A Lysholm compressor, on the other hand, will continue to compress air as long as it is being turned, even if a bypass valve allows that air to be recirculated. The only way to eliminate a Lysholm compressor's parasitic drag at cruise is to let it stop turning via a clutch. (Ironically, the Eaton Roots blower used by Mercedes-Benz uses a clutch instead of a bypass valve, despite this being the more complicated solution. Mercedes does things its own way.)

There are currently three companies building Lysholm-type compressors, all in Sweden. One is not imported to the U.S., another is sold here as the Whipplecharger, and the third, Autorotor, is integrated for automotive use by several tuners

It's a good thing that my 944 isn't being built for Fuel Economy!

Nov 05/05

Got the Engine back yesterday from getting the valve train cleaned up, the head Milled and the top of the block Milled level. The pistons are the original 9.5:1 Compression unlike the Original Plan to go with the Europe 10:1 Spec pistons because of the supercharger. The Piston Rings have been swapped so I guess another "Break In Period" this spring to look towards.

Today, Installed the head gasket and clamped the head down on it. Will torque later.

I removed what was left of the bracket that held the Power steering and cleaned it up with some Cheap BLING..

The Intake Mani isnt done yet. I think it will be a little bit at a time all winter till it's complete.

Nov 07/05

The Supercharger was delivered today. Here are some shots..

The Wife noticed that there were Twin Screws inside and the name stuck. I guess she has never seen a Supercharger on a coffee table before..

The Motion is free and the sound it gives off is so F-ing great.

This is how I did the MP5T Oil Feed and Return for the turbo...Well It's the same for the 944...

Nov 08/05

Got something a bit special in the mail today.

Normally these stop at 260 Km/h But the 944 Turbo for 1989 had a diferent bag of tricks it seems.. 180 MPH or 300 KM/H

I plan to plant that totally over to the 180 Mark...

Nov 10/05

So, Daddy's got a new toy from E-Bay Today!

License Plate - Territory of Papua New Guinea # 74-944

1974 is my birth year and 944 Well Duh!

Old 11-16-2005, 08:23 AM

Nov 12/05

The need to be able to control the fuel delivery is very evident. Here is the final part of the fuel delivery system.

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

When the Supercharger goes on the 2.5L it will need more fuel across the power band. With the new Pump, Filter, tank and Steel Braided lines, the fuel system will be planned and built shortly.

I'll get better pictures later...

Nov 12/05

Picked up an Oil Filter Spacer with Two ports for Oil P Sending Units and Oil Temp Sending Units.

It can also be used to Supply Oil to The Supercharger which is primarily what I'm after. The 944 Turbo takes the oil from the Top Balance shaft housing, But I plan to take it directly from the Oil filter and place an aftermarket Oil Pressure sending unit there.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 AM

any power goals for this puppy?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
any power goals for this puppy?
The Supercharger is planned to pump 10 Psi at 7000 Rpm. Based on that, It should throw done in the order of 250-260 RWHP. With the Fiberglass bodypanels and the shedding of weight the car should be no more than 2100 LBS
With the 3.75:1 Six Speed, 180 Mph will just start to hit 5100 RPM
Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 AM

Someone sure knows his stuff Thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:24 AM

So it looks like your supercharger is hooked into your engine oil system, correct? I thought most twin screws as well as roots blowers, had a self-contained oiling system?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 AM

Also, are you planning on mounting a new intercooler? (I know nothing about Porshe)
Old 11-16-2005, 10:02 AM
p7x

The supercharger has its own oil system, Brian correct me if im wrong. (brian you could'nt resist could you.)
Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by patathSS
So it looks like your supercharger is hooked into your engine oil system, correct? I thought most twin screws as well as roots blowers, had a self-contained oiling system?

This supercharger that I have requires some Oil and Cooling. The Oil must flow like a turbo from the motor.

The SS has an oil system like a Diff, Contained. It works well.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by patathSS
Also, are you planning on mounting a new intercooler? (I know nothing about Porshe)
This one is the most effecient design of all, It makes very little heat, having said that, There is still must be an intercooler to keep the air dense and allow for higher boost with less risk of Detonation.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:38 AM

Dude, That car is F***ing hot.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 AM

You'll have to workk on My Cobalt someday

Where do you track test your car for top speed?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by DJNateGnau
Dude, That car is F***ing hot.
Thanks, It will be a lot hotter when it's a car again...
Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by avro206
You'll have to workk on My Cobalt someday

Where do you track test your car for top speed?
I do not want to do this on a street for obvious reasons. There is a racetrack in Calabogie just outside of Ottawa.. Seems, My GPS, Video Camera and the Porsche have a date next year...
Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Dude, you average 66 posts per day...... If you keep it up, within a year you will have 24,000 posts....
Old 11-16-2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury
Dude, you average 66 posts per day...... If you keep it up, within a year you will have 24,000 posts....
I will taper off..

Find all posts by Brian MP5T
Find all threads started by Brian MP5T

Quick Reply: The Porsche 944