Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2.2 L help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2 L help

hey all, as you knwo I've got a malibu but it's got the same engine as some cobalts. I purchased an injen intake for a colbat, modified the maf mount so mine woudl fit, and mounted it all on my bu. I got a check ongine light with misfires and running too rich. I have a feeling it's all becuase the intake tubing is too big. Woudl this cause the air to move too slow(what I learned from a tread around here) or just too much air? I'm still working on ways to get this setup to work because I have a custom 2.5 in exhaust and wanna compliment that with a nice intake. If anyone would know what I coudl do to make this intake work I'd greatly appreciate the help. I'm thinking, sicne I want top use the injen tubing since it set me back a pretty penny, I could somehow decrease the tube size and that would work. maybe slice a side out and just curve it in to make a smaller diameter?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn idk dude GL
Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 AM

Try resetting your computer yet???
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltTSX
Yeah try unplugging the negative terminal on the battery for 15 minutes and try agian. Also look for leaks, and make sure the MAF is in the right direction. Also make sure the MAF is in a location close to what it was originally.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM

I've tried all those suggestions the first time. I had the battery disconnected for hours, drained all remaining power. maf senser os in almost exact same place, correct direction, I even sealed it with silicon at one point I gotso frustrated. nothing, it still gave me errors. I knwo the car's not exactly made for any sort of mods but you'd think an intake would work. I Think my problem is too much air isgetting past the mafs. I think I need some sort of restriction inside the tube so air is forced through a smaller inlet, makign it move faster than in does with such a big tube.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:55 PM

The only other thing I can think of is the MAF is bad? If you bumped it on something or forced it in any way you could have damaged it. I know it doesn't take much. If you have warranty on your car take it in to the dealership. They can't void your warranty for an intake. Just make sure you scrape off all the silicone.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 PM

well I put the stock setup back and the cel goes away.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 07Maliboo
hey all, as you knwo I've got a malibu but it's got the same engine as some cobalts. I purchased an injen intake for a colbat, modified the maf mount so mine woudl fit, and mounted it all on my bu. I got a check ongine light with misfires and running too rich. I have a feeling it's all becuase the intake tubing is too big. Woudl this cause the air to move too slow(what I learned from a tread around here) or just too much air? I'm still working on ways to get this setup to work because I have a custom 2.5 in exhaust and wanna compliment that with a nice intake. If anyone would know what I coudl do to make this intake work I'd greatly appreciate the help. I'm thinking, sicne I want top use the injen tubing since it set me back a pretty penny, I could somehow decrease the tube size and that would work. maybe slice a side out and just curve it in to make a smaller diameter?
Here's the thing...usually big tube=more air=LEAN codes. I have no clue why you'd get a rich code.

My advice is to sell the injen then buy an intake specifically for your car. Another option is (assuming you have a factory air box like the redline) is to do custom piping to the airbox lid where the maf is located then custom piping after to make a cai or just filter the airbox lid for a short ram. This isn't that hard to do, you just need some good measurements.

Honestly you shouldn't be getting misfires because of an intake and the intake itself may not be the problem.

Originally Posted by CobaltTSX
Usually you don't have to.

Last edited by theneelster; 08-13-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-14-2008, 01:37 AM

ha ha sorry, I meant too lean codes. I was a little distracted whn I typed up my thing. and the thing is no one wants to buy my intake. ha ha. I'm not takin it to ebay and no one on here has expressed interest in buying it. it works just fine for a balt still. The reason i bought the injen is because they don't make an intake for my car.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:00 AM

If its throwing a lean code..then you intake is following to much air pass the MAF sensor... You may want to try and restrict your air follow..I wouldn't mod the intake tube, I would try to restrict the amount of air before the MAF sensor..
Old 08-14-2008, 02:02 AM

check if your maf is tight. if not, itll throw lean codes
Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The MAF has to be in exactly the right spot to get an acurrate read on the air going into the engine. What you probably needed to do was leave the MAF where it was on the intake and put a cobalt MAF in there. Then you should get an accurate read on the air flow going into the manifold. If the malibu MAF is a different size or shape then the cobalt MAF, then the air flow through the tubing is not going to be read correctly by the MAF.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
try getting an intake designed for your car and be done with it.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 PM

ha ha sorry, I meant too lean codes. I was a little distracted whn I typed up my thing. and the thing is no one wants to buy my intake. ha ha. I'm not takin it to ebay and no one on here has expressed interest in buying it. it works just fine for a balt still. The reason i bought the injen is because they don't make an intake for my car.
How can NO ONE make an intake for a widely available car? Did you buy the intake for a 2.0 (lsj) or the 2.2?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 174 Likes on 135 Posts
even the cobalts throw codes when you add an intake made for the car... it will take some time for the computer to makes its adjustments and fix the the problem. If you have a OBDII scanner you can clear the codes out. Also after you clear the codes diconnect your battery for like 5 mins to "reset the computer." After I put my intake on I had gotten the misfire codes and the lean on bank 1 code the lean code was like p0171 or something like that. I got the codes for about 2 weeks and once in a while with the change in temperature i'll get a lean code, but after i clear and reset, everything works like a champ...
Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 PM

first off, what year is your malibu?? you really sure that the malibu is the same as ours? i never heard that. how about the exhaust and intake manifold, they the same?

When i put my intake on i had the CEL for about 2 days. i didnt have mis fires or nothing like you say you are just the CEL.

try driving it around for a few days if able. but if it seems like you lost power, might be best to go back with stock but try driving it around maybe a day or so and see what happens after a few starts of your car.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:36 PM

its an 07. The engine is the same size, I had checked very far into this. the cel never went off, two days driving on it. They don't make an intake for my car that I'm aware of. yes the intake is for the 2.2 not the lsj. I had tried using a balt maf. my buddy has an 08 and I used his maf and still got the same codes. So I guess if anyone is interested in a brand new injen intake I'll sell it to ya cheap since i had the mount milled a little different.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
its an 07. The engine is the same size, I had checked very far into this. the cel never went off, two days driving on it. They don't make an intake for my car that I'm aware of. yes the intake is for the 2.2 not the lsj. I had tried using a balt maf. my buddy has an 08 and I used his maf and still got the same codes. So I guess if anyone is interested in a brand new injen intake I'll sell it to ya cheap since i had the mount milled a little different.
When you tried using the balt MAF did you put it in the stock hole in the intake for the MAF or your modified hole? Even moving the MAF just the slightest bit will throw off the reading.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM

yes I put it in the pre milled hole. my engine is nearly identical to the balt one and al lthings sit in the same spot as far as the intake.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 PM

I Think that you bufooed the MAF or the Wiring or BOTH
Old 08-15-2008, 11:10 PM

yes I put it in the pre milled hole. my engine is nearly identical to the balt one and al lthings sit in the same spot as far as the intake.
He's right...I didn't see any intakes for the "bu" for 2007...but before. I'm going to say he bunked the maf. Otherwise here's what you do...tune the friggin pcm (ie hp tuners) for the increase in air by increasing the tolerance at the maf.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 AM

the maf and wiring is just fine, I use the stock setup and it works just fine. Please read all the threads before you come in and say I messed up my maf. I've said it at least once or twice already that the maf and wiringg is just fine. there are no issues with any existing parts on my car. jsut when I put the injen on. hp tuners said there was nothing for my car right now and I'm still uner warranty so I guess I have to wait anyway.

Originally Posted by rnjmur
When you tried using the balt MAF did you put it in the stock hole in the intake for the MAF or your modified hole? Even moving the MAF just the slightest bit will throw off the reading.
This may be my issue as well as when I gun it the intake kinda bounces, I never got around to making a bracket for it.

Last edited by 07Maliboo; 08-16-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-16-2008, 12:27 PM

here is a malibu performance jet MAF. would this work with the balt/g5 since malibus are the same?
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A1951A0A0.aspx

and here are Intakes for the malibu
http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/20A50096A1.aspx

not sure if you came across them

so the malibu ls is 2.4L too. would we be able to get the intake manifold off them and bolt up the same? can you look at your manifold and see where the bolts are and such PLEASE! and take pics of your engine.

Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:09 PM

my ls is a 2.2l it's an ls. Idk of any 07 malibu that's an ls that's 2.4l I wil get pics soon.
I've seen that mafs and it doesn't look like anything that will go on my car as it's for the v6 ss malibu. that bolts directly to the manifold I believe. mine's more like the balt engine. I'l ltake pics and show you what I mean.

Edit: here's the pic of the intake on. the mafs isn't in the same exact spot it was in the stock setup but there's not much I can do about it.

Last edited by 07Maliboo; 08-16-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 AM

so anyone else got some ideas? this engien is nearly identical as far as my understandings go as a cobalt engine.