Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

After install of Ingalls and GMPP cat back

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After install of Ingalls and GMPP cat back

Hey guys, Just want to put my mind at ease. First up, I installed the Ingalls ETD on friday. It does a great job, however it has significantly increased the cabin noise where it sounds like a slight grinding almost when I accelerate. From what I read this is normal as there is now basically a bar between the frame and the engine. When I start the car its a really hard start, like the engine tries to kick but the dampner stops it, this is all transferred into the cabin. Just wondering if this is all normal and want to make sure it wont cause any damage to my car in the future??

Also, my car seems to have the erratic idling problem more often since the install of the ingalls and GMPP exhaust. Last night I was driving around and went over a speed bump very very slowly with the clutch in and the car actually stalled.

Please put my mind at ease! LoL
Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Make sure you adjust it (ingalls) correctly or your gonna end up with bent brackets.
also when you installed the exhaust did you disconnect the battery?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 AM

What would I be looking for for the install on the ingalls to ensure I dont get "bent brackets"... everything is installed tightly and with what appears by the naked eye to be proper spacing and everything... the logo faces outwards. Maybe I should losen it up?? I installed it the way it came for now.

Nope we didnt disconnect the battery for the GMPP install.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
disconnect your battery for a few minutes to let the computer "relearn" for the exhaust... when you put in the ingalls if the bolts didn't go straight through or had to br forced in... you do not have the length set correctly... it doesn't come set from the factory.. so you have to pplay with the setup and the length to get it right
Old 10-02-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you adjust the Ingals at all before you put it on? If not it is more then likely not on correctly. It sounds alot like you don't have it adjusted correctly, and that is causing the excessive noise and hard starts.

I do get some noise with my Ingals, but I wouldn't call it excessive. I just turn the radio up one notch higher and don't hear it. It does cause a bit more vibration, but nothing excessive there either. As for starts, I haven't really noticed it starting any different except maybe a *slight* bit harder.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 AM

The bolts went straight through when I got it, didnt have to struggle at all.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:53 PM

I have the same problem I also have the GMP Exhaust Manifold and Catback installed,
But I encountered the sound when I installed my AEM Cold Air intake with the Ingalls ETD.
It sounds like something grinding. You can only hear it clearly in the Car Right.
I am going to adjust mine later I will post if it sounds any different.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 PM

My car dosent start up properly since I put on the same exhaust. Sometimes its like it hesitates to start. Weird, not every time tho, only on cold start up.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldsskool
Hey guys, Just want to put my mind at ease. First up, I installed the Ingalls ETD on friday. It does a great job, however it has significantly increased the cabin noise where it sounds like a slight grinding almost when I accelerate. From what I read this is normal as there is now basically a bar between the frame and the engine. When I start the car its a really hard start, like the engine tries to kick but the dampner stops it, this is all transferred into the cabin. Just wondering if this is all normal and want to make sure it wont cause any damage to my car in the future??

Also, my car seems to have the erratic idling problem more often since the install of the ingalls and GMPP exhaust. Last night I was driving around and went over a speed bump very very slowly with the clutch in and the car actually stalled.

erratic idling has been a problem here for a long time idk if there's a update flash for it. I know for stage2 there is
Old 10-03-2006, 12:23 PM

So this faint "grindingish" noise is normal or I should attempt to adjust the dampner? If so what kind of adjustment would I be looking to do? It went on like a dream didnt have to stress at any point to get it on, just bolted right up. Should I be adjusting the dampening maybe?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldsskool

I have NO grinding or increased cabin noise/vibration from the installation of my INGALLS.
Crate Engine Depot adjusted mine....although, I did not notice anything before their adjustment aside from the elimination of wheel hop.... I'd say it's an adjustment issue

Crate Engine Depot installed my GMPP performance exhaust... and not a problem what-so-ever. Maybe as 06blackg85ss said "disconnect your battery for a few minutes to let the computer "relearn" for the exhaust"

good luck
Old 10-03-2006, 12:35 PM

Yeah would go over everything with the Ingalls. I installed mine and took about an hour making sure the length was right and all the brackets where straight and flush. with it adjusted to 11mm i get no grinding noise at all. Just a little more cabin noise/vibration.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:36 PM

Hmmm I guess I have to look into the adjustment of it. Its hard to describe the noise, lol, its not like a grinding, probobly like an audible vibration? Most noticeable at lower speeds...