Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Alternative Coolants/Racing Advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative Coolants/Racing Advise

I can't find dex-cool on my area . Tomorrow I'm racing and I don't have left any coolant on my intercooler system and on the reservoir tank it's more than below the line.

I just bought a Prestone Extended Life coolant with same boiling point and freezing temperatures as Dex-cool license on 50/50 mix but its green. How would that affect on my sys? Its okay to use it?

On the track, I will try my best to represent the power and more of our cars. I got already some cobaltss.net decals on both small rear windows. But, I need your help to win. At the moment, I just got more or less 64kg of my car: removing seats, amp, aux wheel, subwoofer, etc. (There is a how-to here). What else should I do? change the rev limiter?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

just fill the rest of the tank full of water til you can get the right ****
Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Ok, I fill it up already.

I just got fuet juel on!! its 100 octane and the thing is now that I can't put on 100 octane mode. I'm holding cruise control for 10 second when the key is on ACC position and nothing happens.(No shift light comes). What might be the problem? Does it have something to do the fact that I can't pair my phone because she says "I can't do that while security is on"? How do I get rid off security mode?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

If it never freezes where you are I would run distilled water and water wetter in the intercooler ..... It cools better than anti freeze or dex. what is fuet juel??

#PPP0002: No Shift Indicator When Set To 100 Octane Mode - Export Only - (Oct 15, 2008)

Subject: No Shift Indicator When Set to 100 Octane Mode - Export Only

Models: 2004 - 2007 Saturn ION Redline Export with a GMPP Stage III Supercharger Kit Installed

2005 - 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Export with a GMPP Stage III Supercharger Kit Installed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The shift indicator does not illuminate when switching to 100 octane mode on 2004 - 2007 Saturn ION Redline export (including Canada) and 2005 - 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS export (including Canada) equipped with a GM Performance Parts Stage 3 supercharger kit.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The above mentioned export vehicles are built without a shift indicator lamp. On U.S. models, the shift indicator lamp is used as a confirmation to the driver that the ECM has been switched to 100 octane mode. Export models can be switched to 100 octane mode but there will not be an indication to the driver.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could ***ist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT ***ume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Š 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 PM

I didn't buy it here bought it in Texas, US. on copart....

Well, races is over and I won 1 of 2 races on my first drag legal race. I'm still knowing my car since I got it it came with several mods that I keep on discovering.

Anyways, thought that I should change gear on redline but I notice on 2 drag that on 7000 rpm is the limit. Maybe the earlier owner modified rev limiter already. I wanna to do it but, didn't work. Push 50% throlle on key ACC position and nothing happen. :S

I have a question, what is the best rpm range to start. When I was on around 3-4k, wheels spin all the way to second.On 2k still the wheel spin a lot. What could I do to improve this?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

i launched at 2k with my street tires and got some good spinage lol and 1.5k i bogged a lil bit cause i got to good of traction haha. still got a 2.2 60 tho for my 1st time at the strip
Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 AM
Premium Member

Did it come with the stage 3 PCM ? Or did you buy that yourself?

Last edited by rukkee; 11-08-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 AM

I didn't bought any PCM. The car like that with all the badges. I'm assuming its Stage 3 PCM. How do I confirm it? I already wanna to change 100 octane mode and change the rev limiter, and nothing happened. No shift light. No indication on rev limit when 50% throttle.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Check under the hood and see if the PCM has a GM racing sticker on it . It's to the left of the coolant tank looking at it from the front. You might need to disonnect the battery and unhook the PCM so you can pull it out to see the sticker.

If none of the stage 3 stuff works it could be someone put the stage III emblem on and left it at that. The Stage III pulley should have a 76mm stamp on it and the kit comes with a dual pass end plate .... other things you can look for.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by rukkee
Check under the hood and see if the PCM has a GM racing sticker on it . It's to the left of the coolant tank looking at it from the front. You might need to disonnect the battery and unhook the PCM so you can pull it out to see the sticker.

If none of the stage 3 stuff works it could be someone put the stage III emblem on and left it at that. The Stage III pulley should have a 76mm stamp on it and the kit comes with a dual pass end plate .... other things you can look for.
This.

Also, when you want to engage high octane mode you want the car to be on (running/idle). Press the cruise control button, and hold the set button for 10 sec.

The tach needle should move to the preset rev limit when you press the gas pedal 50%. It will then increase in 250 rpm increments the further you press the pedal. If none of these things work you might not have the GMS3 pcm. I'm sure some kids think by adding the 76mm pulley they have GMS3. This could be your situation. The previous owner might have slapped on the GMS3 pulley and some badges to say the car is GMS3.

As for your coolant question, I would run 100% distilled water if you wont be experiencing any temps near freezing.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee

The only sticker I see is from a side is "Made in U.S.A." There is on the back a white label that says Cobalt SS 60# and some other serials numbers I think. Any ideas?

About the pulley, previous owner changed to a 2.8" ZZP pulley. I know that S3 should have come stock with a 3" pulley. Also, A/C is disable: A/C system switch is not connected.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
This.

Also, when you want to engage high octane mode you want the car to be on (running/idle). Press the cruise control button, and hold the set button for 10 sec.

The tach needle should move to the preset rev limit when you press the gas pedal 50%. It will then increase in 250 rpm increments the further you press the pedal. If none of these things work you might not have the GMS3 pcm. I'm sure some kids think by adding the 76mm pulley they have GMS3. This could be your situation. The previous owner might have slapped on the GMS3 pulley and some badges to say the car is GMS3.

As for your coolant question, I would run 100% distilled water if you wont be experiencing any temps near freezing.
Both adjustments should be perform running the car, idle? I read that key position should be on ACC with the engine turn off. But anyway, I will try it right now and see. Be right back.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chrisjaldin
Both adjustments should be perform running the car, idle? I read that key position should be on ACC with the engine turn off. But anyway, I will try it right now and see. Be right back.
The rev limiter should be performed with the key on acc. High octane mode should be performed with the car on. Let me know how you make out.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 11-08-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

The back of the pcm should have a GM Racing label or GMPP label.

Here's mine (it used to say GM Racing, but it wore away):
Old 11-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Its not stage 3, I take off the PCM out and saw the ZZP logo and "Cobalt SS #60" write on the sticker. I have been punk'd. Hahaha xD. (must change signature)

Anyways about the reservoir tank, would I warm my car if I add up Prestone Extended Life Coolant, which is green and says that it can me mix with any color to my dex-cool red coolant fill?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Its not stage 3, I take off the PCM out and saw the ZZP logo and "Cobalt SS #60" write on the sticker. I have been punk'd. Hahaha xD. (must change signature)

Anyways about the reservoir tank, would I warm my car if I add up Prestone Extended Life Coolant, which is green and says that it can me mix with any color to my dex-cool red coolant fill?
Well at least you figured out what you have now. About the prestone ..... I wouldn't mix it with DEX . I'm thinking if it aint broke ...... dont fix it ..... dexcool has been fine in both of my SS's . Now if you were draining the entire system i would say go for it .