Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Axle seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Axle seal replacement

Hey guys so this Wednesday I will be replacing my old worn OEM axles with my new ZZP stage 1 axels that I just got in the mail. Anyhow while I was at it I purchased new ZZP axle seals as well. Last time I checked my original axle seals appeared to be ok as I haven't experienced any leaking. When I ordered these new seals with my new axels I figured it would just be a simple swap however the more research that I'm doing the more that I'm finding that replacing my axle seals may not be as easy as I originally thought. I do not have a special axle seal puller or anything like that so I would just have to put some tools together in order to make it work.

Is what I'm finding online correct ? Is it really a pain to replace my axle seals while replacing my axels ?

Would you guys recommend just leaving my old OEM seals in since they haven't given me any trouble or would you go through the trouble of replacing them now while your in there & seeing that they are original to the car & may end up needing replaced soon anyhow ?

If you do recommend that I replace my seals is the new seals all that I would need ? Pic below of my new seals. I think I read somewhere that there is an axle seal sleeve of some type that goes around the seals that should be replaced at the same time ?

photo939.jpg
Old 04-02-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the sleeve your reading about is on the automatics, completely different setup, and kind of an oddball one at that.

installing these seals can be a bit of a pain. to get the old ones out you can use a hammer and chisel or screwdriver to hammer the lip in, then just pry them out with a screw driver. to install them you need something that will fit around the outer metal lip (red part), like a piece of exhaust tubing or other pipe.

honestly, if they arent leaking, leave them alone.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice ? I guess my only fear with not replacing them now is the mess that I'll have to go through if & when my OEM seals do end up wearing out, then I'll have to tear back in there to replace them.