Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

The Cobalt DTC thread (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cel

i have an 06 coabalt 2.4 my cel is on code is P0010 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit ECM
just wanted to know if this is a common problem and if a cam sensor could possibly fix it i do have a k&n cai installed didnt think this could cause this code also have this code showing up P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Performance ECM, PCM
should i check into the map sensor code first?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 AM

yes my check engine light is on, yesterday i was driving and my car started makeing about 10 pounds of boost at full throttle a few min later it was making about 5, soon after that my check engine lite came on. i ran the code today and it was an 0229 or 0299 cant remember withch but it said "engine supercharger/turbocharger boost levels low" oddly spacific, but i dont know y this has hapend....any answers out there????
Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 AM

I just want to say this thread is the bestestestest sticky evarrrr!! no more stupid CEL and car behaving like crap!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Forced SS
I had the same thing happen to me when I put my hahn cat back on. Check your ems fuse under the hood(10amp).If it's poped you have a straight to ground short on youf o2 sensor. Look for bare wire then tape it up.My would do it when I made a right hand turn and the exaust would swing left an touch the heat shield and pop a fuse. Good luck
Yeh. I agree with you.
Good post. I appreciate it
Many thanks to ur post. I love it.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:30 AM

k i have the same problem a p0171 running lean where should i check on the car of why the car would be pulling this code...the intake , vaccum line etc?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's get started with LNF upgrade problems. Got it all installed and calibrated and all was good. Ya gotta LOVE that upgrade. Pulling up to my home the engine backfired once and I lost all boost. Pulled into the driveway and started checking and sure enough the boost pipe from the IC to the manifold was off at the IC end. Let me state here now I have aftermarket boost pipes. CIA to be exact. While reinstalling the pipe I noticed the unused MAF sensor mounting hole (the upgraded MAF sensor uses only one bolt and leaves the other hole empty) was drilled all the way through (CIA pipes) causing a boost leak. A tiny leak but a leak none the less. I put a screw into the hole with sealant. All fixed. Got it all back together, started the engine and the engine light came on. The code was P0101. "MAF Sensor Performance". I tried clearing it with my Dash Hawk. It said clear but when I check codes again P0101 was still there. I guess my question is, are there a certain number of start cycles needed to reset the code or should I be able to clear it without driving the car? I'd like an informed opinion of what's happening before I jump off the deep end and take it to the dealer. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your calibration was flashed with that hole in your pipe, then the system thinks that hole is supposed to be there. Now that you have fixed the hole, you will need to recalibrate, or in this case, reflash. Before you do that, check the obvious, which is the MAF for any problems, such as a loose connection, or dripped sealant from your screw onto the element.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 09 ss cobalt
yes my check engine light is on, yesterday i was driving and my car started makeing about 10 pounds of boost at full throttle a few min later it was making about 5, soon after that my check engine lite came on. i ran the code today and it was an 0229 or 0299 cant remember withch but it said "engine supercharger/turbocharger boost levels low" oddly spacific, but i dont know y this has hapend....any answers out there????
Check all of your charge piping for leaks. Also check the MAP plugs on the manifold and lower charge pipe. Mine came unplugged and read turbocharger boost too high.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks for your reply. The screw hole was sealed with a screw with a tiny bit of sealant under the head only. I was VERY careful about that. The coupler reinstalled and EVENTUALLY the code cleared.

I had been trying to clear it with a Dash Hawk with no luck. The car seemed to be running fine with 20# + of boost as before the problem but with the code still. I was told Advance parts store would scan for codes for free as a customer service but wouldn't clear them. Sure enough the P0101 showed up. The guy allowed ME to push the button to clear it, go figure, and I was a happy camper again. Everything seems to be back to where it was before my screw up but if I do have a problem I'll know where to look first.

Thanks to both of you again for your help. it's nice to know there are some people on here that will offer advice and knowledge without sarcasm.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 PM

I accept with information:The cruise control code will reset itself and cruise will be active again after 41 warm up cycles, that means starting car, and driving and it warming up to a certian setting, then shutting off and can't set the code again durring that time. That ment 1200 miles without Cruise control.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by SS SCHGD
Alright, so I got my oil Changed today and I got my cruise control code cleared. They said the Code is P0833. All then info I can get on it would be apreciated. It does not light up the MIL when it comes on, just doesn't allow me to use the Cruise control. I have a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC with a Stage 2 GM tune.

I bought a OBD II reader but it does not see the code for me to clear it. Can anyone help me find a program for the OBD II reader that will read and delete it, or maybe it can be un programed (or the fault setting can be adjusted) with HP tuners or something?

Thanks.
I'm sure you have your cruise problem solved by now but this might be of interest to others. There is a SIMPLE problem that can cause your COMPLICATED problem with the cruise. Check your high level brake light. If even one bulb is burnt out your cruise won't work. This works on 08's and 09's anyway. In the owners manual it tells you after starting the car with the cruise off (it won't work anyway) hit the brakes one time to ENABLE the cruise. WALA! The cruise will work. I learned this when installing LED's in the lamp. The low resistance of the LED's isn't enough to enable the cruise. There needs to be 6 ohms across the lights. I solved the problem with a 6 OHM, 10 watt resistor in series. I lost a lot of hair over this. NOBODY could figure it out.

Happy trails.

Buy the way. 32 LED's in place of the 3 incandescents look GREAT!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by tomthebib
I accept with information:The cruise control code will reset itself and cruise will be active again after 41 warm up cycles, that means starting car, and driving and it warming up to a certian setting, then shutting off and can't set the code again durring that time. That ment 1200 miles without Cruise control.

Reset the system my unhooking the battery?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 AM

My CEL comes on because I have a manual override fan switch that connects to the relay that grounds it out. This makes my light come on.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM

I have a 2006 Cobalt SS with 57,xxx kms on it. Yesterday, my CEL turned on.

I still have powertrain warranty until next year, and because I purchased the car around two months ago, they gave me three months of bumper to bumper because it was a GM Goodwrench Certified vehicle.

1. Are they going to charge me a fee for hooking it up to a computer?

2. I tried running the engine without the gas cap on, but I noticed that the gas cap sensor doesn't tell if the gas cap is on or not.

I didn't switch fuel brands or change my oil. The only thing I can think about is that it has been raining a lot and the electrical system or some sensors may be damp. The car has no modifications whatsoever.

I'm taking my car to a Goodwrench shop tomorrow, I would appreciate any help before I see them.

Thank you
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Great Post! Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 AM

great info

Last edited by explicit_jay; 02-06-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 AM

help!!! p0130

Any one know how to get rid of the p0130 code. i've bought a new O2 sensor and remove the code every other day, keeps coming back
Old 04-17-2010, 03:15 PM

check engine light

i put the gmpp catback on after a few miles the check engine light came on
any one know anything about this? thanks for the help -dan-
Old 05-25-2010, 12:24 AM

help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i installed the vibrant performance headers and cat and my check engine light is on for my o2 sensor so i figuered i have to replace it..any reccomendations????
Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 AM

p0102 p0443

i been having the same problem, shitty idling, cel that wont come off, inspection due in december and i bet the fuse is popped! going to look into this hopefully takes care of it
Old 01-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Thanks for starting this one Halfcent!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lupe08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i installed the vibrant performance headers and cat and my check engine light is on for my o2 sensor so i figuered i have to replace it..any reccomendations????
It's common w/ aftermarket exhausts for the 02 sensor to not work properly. Many people get a spark plug defouler to pull the sensor a little more out of the direct flow.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM

can you indicate where i can find exactly the area because i search the wire hardness and never find the problem.
Originally Posted by Sunburst_SS
here's what SI says about the blown/loose emissions fuse.......just something to check if you're having those codes thrown

There are 2 main areas to look at for the cause of this blown/loose fuse.

Check circuit 5291 for a short to ground (STG) at the clutch pedal position switch connector as it might get shorted to the clutch bracket. If connector looks ok, then inspect the 10 amp emissions fuse in the Underhood Electrical Center to ensure it is properly seated.
Note: This clutch position switch connector is there even on automatic vehicles.

Check for a short To ground (STG) at the oil filter adapter housing.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

basically a p0833 will set when the ECM senses a certain number of gear changes without
detecting a clutch switch movement.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by RedEcotecSS
So i traded my GM performance exhaust for a friend's DC sports exhaust just for the hell of it. i dont regret trading, although i had some problems...

first, the bolts wouldnt screw in right so i had a hell of an exhaust leak (took it to the muffler shop and they fixed it) .. then my buddy put the o2 in wrong and the wires were pressed up against the heat shield. the mechanic at the shop told me the wires on the o2 had been split causing me to throw 4 cel's... so i left.. driving on down the road the car begins to run like complete **** (had been doing this since i first put on the DC Sports) .. would deleting the rear o2 make me run correctly again?? tomorrow i was supposed to get my rear o2 deleted anyway for the p0420 code so i can pass inspection. do you think by me deleting the rear o2 these codes and problems will go away?? Thanks!!!

codes are as follows...

P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Sensor 1 ECM, PCM
P0036 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Sensor 2 ECM, PCM
P0102 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit Low Frequency ECM, PCM
P0443 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Solenoid Control Circuit ECM, PCM

P.S. tried to remove them with my interceptor and they just keep coming back...
you can also check this problem if continue the problem
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...essage-247349/
Old 04-29-2011, 01:02 PM

ok so i checked EVERYTHING listed here the fuse is good i sleaved the wire so its not grounding out. even fixed the small leak that i found but im still getting a code saying my damn catt is to big or over threshhold any other ideas. what else it could be An old head told me about a cap they used to use that goes over the o2 that shows it has less airflow then it really does any idea what thats called.. "he dont remember much anymore lol" its a 07 2.4l if that makes any difference

Quick Reply: The Cobalt DTC thread (merged)