Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Electrical NIGHTMARE

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical NIGHTMARE

So I left work today, everything with the car was perfectly fine and everything HAD been fine. I've never had a problem. (2008 sport btw)

I get about a mile onto the highway and I start getting every warning possible!

Low Fuel
Service Traction
Low Traction
Service esc

My fuel gauge is going from full (which is what it actually was) to empty, stopping half way, staying on empty

My service light is on
Some light with with a Car and a little Lock over it comes on.

The car sounds like it's shifting and clunking.

So I pull over, make some calls, try again. Same story. So I pull over again and start making more calls. The engine is off for a good 20 minutes. Cop pulls over, orders a truck to come rescue me lol, so I decide to try again....low and behold...I turn it on and NOTHING is wrong!!

So I abandon the wait of a truck and I make it the 18 miles home without a single problem.

I get home, go upstairs to my girlfriend, grab her and we head to my parents house so my dad can check it out. Nothing wrong after I start it up again.

I show my dad, it's fine. I get ready to leave his house though...and it all comes back.

So I wait, and it goes away again.

What could possible be wrong? Is it dangerous to drive in this condition?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just be glad you didn't get a fuel ran brake warning, then you know something is really wrong. Seriously though, sounds like a BCM issue. Maybe there's a short somewhere.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 AM

lol X 2 ^ no both counts. Does sound like an electrical problem with your bcm/ecm though.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get what i call the "traveling short" **** pisses me off... usually its the wiper blades... its either full on or off... then the lights, high beams on no matter what..., usually then moves to the radio, either no display at all or jumbled mess... most recent victim is the ac controls.... after the radio it usually goes back to the blades. Its always one at a time... never more, and pretty much in that exact order every time.

edit... shutting the car off and turning it back on... 90 percent of the time... fixes everything.

edit 2... i had this "traveling short" make it to the fuel pump and the car wouldn't start.the dealership fixed it under warranty. All was well again for about 6 months before it was back to its same old ****. Dealership pinned it on a pinched ground wire on or near the fuel rail.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
$20 says a loose engine ground is the culprit.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will second the loose ground ,but Im going with the battery connection.

For sure a voltage problem !
Old 07-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by doubledamageXX
I get what i call the "traveling short" **** pisses me off... usually its the wiper blades... its either full on or off... then the lights, high beams on no matter what..., usually then moves to the radio, either no display at all or jumbled mess... most recent victim is the ac controls.... after the radio it usually goes back to the blades. Its always one at a time... never more, and pretty much in that exact order every time.

edit... shutting the car off and turning it back on... 90 percent of the time... fixes everything.

edit 2... i had this "traveling short" make it to the fuel pump and the car wouldn't start.the dealership fixed it under warranty. All was well again for about 6 months before it was back to its same old ****. Dealership pinned it on a pinched ground wire on or near the fuel rail.
Your car needs an exorcist!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM

So I took it to a local shop and he reset the computer, but all the problems came back about 10 minutes later after I got home and started to fill a couple tires with air.

I have an appointment with my dealer though so they're going to fix it up and get me a rental in the mean time.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThisSubtleDagger
So I took it to a local shop and he reset the computer, but all the problems came back about 10 minutes later after I got home and started to fill a couple tires with air.

I have an appointment with my dealer though so they're going to fix it up and get me a rental in the mean time.
Let me know how that goes... my guess is its something along the lines of what i have. Im way out of warranty now, and mine seems to come and go.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 AM

Check the voltage output from the altenator .
At say 2500 rpm you should read close to 15 volts dc (14.5)

It sure sounds like a voltage problem but a bad ignition key cylinder could do the same thing as well.
(Bad contact)
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 PM

a friend of mine said it sounds like the ECM or that something could have happened to the wires. he said hopefully they check the wires because if they just replace the ecm and don't check the wires it'll just happen again.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Check your grounds FIRST, then make sure your fuses for the BCM (there are three, two under the hood and one inside) are good, I could tell you in 45 seconds if I had the car to look at. You need a shop that has a tech 2, if the BCM doesn't respond when the tech2 is used to command needle positions for fuel, tach and speed, then it needs to be replaced. You likely have B codes, be nice to get those.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Accept the truth that GM doesn't know how to run wires...the truth usually comes easier with a strong drink.

Seriously though, I just had to replace my mass sensor and some wires due to corrosion. I've got the 08 sport as well, so if the problem was corrosion, let me know.