Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

engine coolant running hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy engine coolant running hot

My 06 cobalt sc is dipping into the 210 degree range when stopped at idle. When I move it drops to 180 or when I kick the rpms up a little for a couple seconds its drops to about 190. What's causing the spikes and lack of proper cooling? Also I want to know if knocking out my cat internals would help with extra flow and sound or just **** up the system. Any help?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Start by checking to make sure the cooling fan is working properly
Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 AM

Well the fan kicks on at 220 I know it won't seriosuly overheat. Just thirty degrees is suckin some power out I should be gettin
Old 03-20-2011, 03:36 AM

mine does this it will be 180 and as soon as i stop this shi climbs quick and as soon as i drive ti drops really fast which i think is bs cause there is no way it goes from 215 ish to 180 in seconds

i hate this car
Old 03-20-2011, 05:17 AM
OBZ

Until you see 230+ don't be concerned.. Ecotecs run warm. as said the fans don't even kick on until 220-225. I see 220 on a hot summer day in traffic all the time.. Nothing to be concerned about
Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 PM

You might also check the intercooler pump. With my pump dead the IAT2's were 70-100 degrees hotter than the IAT1's. That extra 100 degrees of hot air going into the engine can raise the coolant temp even though they are on separate systems.

When I fixed the intercooler pump the coolant dropped back down in the 170-180 range as normal. With the pump out it would hit into the 210's especially at idle.

It's at least worth a look
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by OBZ
Until you see 230+ don't be concerned.. Ecotecs run warm. as said the fans don't even kick on until 220-225. I see 220 on a hot summer day in traffic all the time.. Nothing to be concerned about
+1 220 is not overheating or even close to it. As long as the fans kick on around 220 and go back down, its normal. When you start moving air flows through the rad cooling the car down. The fans are there to keep the car from overheating at a stop. Of course your temps are going to rise when you are stopped, it happens when every other car in the world as well.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ting-ting
mine does this it will be 180 and as soon as i stop this shi climbs quick and as soon as i drive ti drops really fast which i think is bs cause there is no way it goes from 215 ish to 180 in seconds

i hate this car
This is because the Head gasket is blown and the motor is done. Please ship car to me I will take it off your hands free of charge. 215 degrees is totally overheating.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Normal, don't worry about it till you see 230.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 AM

Haha

Iv seen 249

Last edited by Ting-ting; 03-23-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ting-ting
Haha

Iv seen 249
Lol disconnect your fans? water wetter works wonders.....wow....lol really though I have some in my system and haven't seen 220 ever.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by YelloEye
Lol disconnect your fans? water wetter works wonders.....wow....lol really though I have some in my system and haven't seen 220 ever.
Man with the right mix of Water wetter, water and just a small amount of Dex-Cool antifreeze I can't remember the last time I've seen temps much above 180 after the Dual Pass intercooler plate and Opt. B kit.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Again another thread with so much fail. The lsj's have 2 separate cooling systems. One for the engine and one for the iat2 after the supercharger. The coolant temp reading in the dash is for your engine and changes from atmosphere temp upon startup to upwards for 230 if idling for extended periods in the desert but usually runs from 170(cruising in freezing temps) to 210 stop and go traffic in the desert.

Doing cooling mods like dual pass, single pass, opt b, flow through, stu mod, griffin h/e and/or extra h/e should not effect the cooling of the engine or the temp reading on the dic in the dash. You can only see the temp difference by hooking a guage or hptuners up to the obd2 port to read the iat2 temp.

Originally Posted by CruzinYellow
Man with the right mix of Water wetter, water and just a small amount of Dex-Cool antifreeze I can't remember the last time I've seen temps much above 180 after the Dual Pass intercooler plate and Opt. B kit.
doing the opt b and dual pass has nothing to do with the temp reading you are recording/seeing. You perceived temp drop is most likely do to you paying more attention to your car after a new mod and it being in the winter months.

Your iat2 can get to 150+ if you are idling for extended periods. I have seen it numerous times in my car but it drops as soon as you start moving or blip the throttle a few times.

Last edited by stonny9; 03-23-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Ok well I have water wetter in it. It just seems odd that it won't stabalize at one temp like it used to.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 PM

Might be time to flush your coolant or something.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by stonny9
Again another thread with so much fail. The lsj's have 2 separate cooling systems. One for the engine and one for the iat2 after the supercharger. The coolant temp reading in the dash is for your engine and changes from atmosphere temp upon startup to upwards for 230 if idling for extended periods in the desert but usually runs from 170(cruising in freezing temps) to 210 stop and go traffic in the desert.

Hey man rather than getting the least bit offended or aggravated at your post, could you help me to understand what you know? Someone tried to explain to me once before about the two cooling systems idea but didn't have any factual information enough for me to believe what they claimed (well I believed there was 2 systems but they couldn't explain it). Can you briefly explain the general setup of these cooling systems (mainly the one that you get your iat2 from)? I don't claim to know everything but I do try and learn when someone possibly knows something that I don't which is you in this case. I have done lots of mods and have had to even go as far as taking everything off to get to my starter and replace it which isn't in such a good spot if you know what I mean. I've done just about everything minus doing a complete tear down of the motor and upgrading the internals which I plan to do before too long as well.

Doing cooling mods like dual pass, single pass, opt b, flow through, stu mod, griffin h/e and/or extra h/e should not effect the cooling of the engine or the temp reading on the dic in the dash. You can only see the temp difference by hooking a guage or hptuners up to the obd2 port to read the iat2 temp.

Then how come my temp reading doesn't go above 186 degrees even in the summer here in Texas, not even when it idles for long periods? And prior to doing these mods I would see temps on the dash as high as 225 degrees in FL and TN. If I didn't see something different than what your claiming then I wouldn't be near as curious.

doing the opt b and dual pass has nothing to do with the temp reading you are recording/seeing. You perceived temp drop is most likely do to you paying more attention to your car after a new mod and it being in the winter months.

By the way I did these mods over 2 years ago and actually I'm not the type that just gets in cars and drives them without paying attention to everything that is happening with the car. Yes, I have been slow to get a wideband gauge and sensor. But it won't be much longer before I have one. I do all my own work on the car and refuse to let anyone else work on it. I've built, repaired and maintained fighter aircraft for over 10 yrs and if I wanted to figure out what your talking about I'd do a search and figure it out myself but I believe you might have a better way to explain what your saying to where I would better understand how the 2 systems worked based on the claims that your making as if your an expert. Maybe you have a lot more experience working on the LSJ than the rest of us. I won't doubt that you do until you prove me otherwise.

Your iat2 can get to 150+ if you are idling for extended periods. I have seen it numerous times in my car but it drops as soon as you start moving or blip the throttle a few times.
Unfortunately I have no way of knowing my iat2 right now. Now hopefully you won't get offended by my posts (mainly questions) about what you have said and will actually give us some more insight so that we all can learn since you said this "thread is a fail." That's what I'm hoping you will do but it's up to you. The purpose of this forum is to help people and it can be entertaining at times. Will you help us...
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stonny9

intaking hotter air will increase your coolant temperature thats a fact, by how much, I cannot say for sure it may be negligible or it may be a noticeable difference in coolant temps but either way you are having hotter air inside the engine, and some heat transfer occurs,
its like if you pickup a glass of cold water and a glass of hot water, your hand is the coolant, the glass is the metal separating cylinder from where the coolant flows, the water is the air, your hand(the coolant) will be hotter when holding hot water, I realize even really high iats still arent as hot as the heat generated from combustion but it's still heat , like i said i'm not sure how big of an effect it has but it does have some effect that is for sure