Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I still think dropping the whole cradle out the bottom is the way to go. All you need is 2 floor jacks. The reason I think this is the better option is because you disassemble/assemble the whole engine assembly outside of the car where it is easy to work on. When you go through the top you have to disassemble and reassemble inside the engine bay, remove the hood, wrestle the engine in and out with a cherry picker and have to fight the transmission shaft lining up with the clutch with the engine suspended. Much easier to do out in the open IMO. I think you through-the-toppers are just stubborn
Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I still think dropping the whole cradle out the bottom is the way to go. All you need is 2 floor jacks. The reason I think this is the better option is because you disassemble/assemble the whole engine assembly outside of the car where it is easy to work on. When you go through the top you have to disassemble and reassemble inside the engine bay, remove the hood, wrestle the engine in and out with a cherry picker and have to fight the transmission shaft lining up with the clutch with the engine suspended. Much easier to do out in the open IMO. I think you through-the-toppers are just stubborn
Absolutely. im putting it back in from the bottom
Old 02-10-2023, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize this is Many years old at this point

Originally Posted by coopercharge
disconnect everything and drop the cradle out of the bottom.
GM performance division put out a build book so to speak here is part 1 and 2 showing how to remove the engine.

gmperformancedivision.com
This has got to be the most USELESS POS advice out there. Even if you have a hoist in which to accomplish this it does NOT seperate the engine from transmission. I hate that forum answers like this exist you have nothing useful to say yet still feel the need to say it. Next time I hope you either stay off on the forums or actually contribute. What a dumb answer smh