Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Faulty Ground Info?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faulty Ground Info?

I am having intermittent electrical issues (lights dimming, radio dropping out, a/c blower cutting out). These glitches last maybe a second or less. The dealer of course can't seem to duplicate the problem. I have seen many people mention problems with loose/faulty grounds. Sounds very much like the issue I am having. I was hoping someone could be specific about the issue. It seems all the ground issues are due to a ground strap near the headlamp area. Is this the only one people have had issues with? What is the exact location? Does the headlamp need to be removed? Pictures anyone?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:31 AM

Personally I would keep taking it back to the dealer and MAKE them find it. Make them give you a loaner for your troubles. After 3 times you are legally in lemon land.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:56 AM

lemon law applies after the same thing's been fixed and broken 3 times... not if u take it in for something they can't find 3 times.

one thing that caused some problems in an older car of mine was the interior fuse block going out - i would lose gauges and such from that.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
lemon law applies after the same thing's been fixed and broken 3 times... not if u take it in for something they can't find 3 times.
Yeah, I got hosed on that with my '96 Sunfire. Took the car in 12 times in one year. I got the constant "We can't find a problem" crap. Fuel pump finally went out after the warranty ended. Basically they leave it to you to prove there is a problem or they won't put any effort into finding the problem. I took my car in for this issue and got the same response as the Sunfire - problme not duplicated. Somehow I am supposed to make it happen consistently or drive in when it is occuring. Sure, for a problem that shows up for less than a second at random times.

I'm thinking I may have to get a video camera so I can tape it.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by bc3tech

one thing that caused some problems in an older car of mine was the interior fuse block going out - i would lose gauges and such from that.
Actually, it applies after the same problem requires a shop visit 3 times. It doesn't have to be fixed.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:48 AM

I will have to study the lemon laws here closer. In the mean time, I am working on borrowing a camcorder so I can record it as it happens. I really don't have time to play games with them.

I'd still love some specific issue on this "common" ground issue.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:15 PM

info on Lemon Law throughout the US: http://www.carcomplaints.com/lemon_law/

I had a 03 Silverado with a squeak brake system. The dealership couldn't figure it out so after 22 months of payments on it and more than 6 months in the shop, they replaced the truck. They don't necessarily have to find the problem, they just have to try to fix it. Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:08 PM

same here

I am also having some similar issues with my 06 SS. onstar light goes red, xm cuts off and says check xm. ABS light, RPM, gas and speedometer gauges go down to zero for a second or two. This keep happening many times and the dealer can not duplicate problem. If you find anything with this issue let me know.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsxr600
I am also having some similar issues with my 06 SS. onstar light goes red, xm cuts off and says check xm. ABS light, RPM, gas and speedometer gauges go down to zero for a second or two. This keep happening many times and the dealer can not duplicate problem. If you find anything with this issue let me know.
Actually assuming the engine continues to run when this occurs, that sounds more like a data bus fault than a grounding issue. In either case there should be U-codes (DTCs beginning with a "U" prefix) that should assist the tech in isolating the area of fault. Did your repair orders not list ANY DTCs? Do you have an Interceptor gauge unit by chance??
HTH
WopOnTour

Last edited by WopOnTour; 12-01-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by BlkSdn
I am having intermittent electrical issues (lights dimming, radio dropping out, a/c blower cutting out). These glitches last maybe a second or less. The dealer of course can't seem to duplicate the problem. I have seen many people mention problems with loose/faulty grounds. Sounds very much like the issue I am having. I was hoping someone could be specific about the issue. It seems all the ground issues are due to a ground strap near the headlamp area. Is this the only one people have had issues with? What is the exact location? Does the headlamp need to be removed? Pictures anyone?
Without a bit more specific detail (exactly which lights dim out, which radio option you have etc) it's difficult to identify a "common denominator" grounding point. But based on what your saying I would be carefully inspecting G201 and G203 both of which are actually under your instrument panel. (one G203 is located behind the glovebox area, the other G201 more central just to the left side of your radio/climate controls)

The connections at the Body Control Module-BCM (which is essentially your interior fuse block) should also be R&Rd and carefully inspected for looseness, terminal damage or corrosion.
HTH
Regards
WopOnTour
Old 12-01-2006, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
Actually assuming the engine continues to run when this occurs, that sounds more like a data bus fault than a grounding issue. In either case there should be U-codes (DTCs beginning with a "U" prefix) that should assist the tech in isolating the area of fault. Did your repair orders not list ANY DTCs? Do you have an Interceptor gauge unit by chance??
HTH
WopOnTour

Yes, engine still runs fine and I do not have an Interceptor gauge unit. I do not know what DTCs are but I will ask the dealer tech. Right now my XM do not want to keep working for more than a couple of minutes when it goes out again. This is very frustraiting for a service u pay and cannot listen to.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:50 PM

When I experience the issues, the dash ligths dim, the headlights dim. The radio volume drops (it is the basic CD player) and the A/C blower motor drops out. When this happens, the engine seems to be unaffected. All of this happens for probably a seocnd or less. I have on occassion had issues where at dile the RPMS would drop and the car almost die. It would do this in a repeated cycle.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

A short term brown-out like you describe is more likely an issue with the battery/charging system than a grounding concern. You say the engine is "unaffected" so does it's RPM stay constant throughout the event? ie is the electrical issue a seperate issue from your idle concern?
Wop
Old 12-01-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
A short term brown-out like you describe is more likely an issue with the battery/charging system than a grounding concern. You say the engine is "unaffected" so does it's RPM stay constant throughout the event? ie is the electrical issue a seperate issue from your idle concern?
Wop
They appesr to be unrelated as the dile issue has only happend a few times. The electrical brown-outs occur frequently, although to varying degrees. During the brown-out event, the RPMs appear to stay consistent.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Yea either something (a bad electrical component) is loading down your electrical system, or there's a problem with your generator or battery. Of course the main battery B+ and ground, at the battery and in the trunk, should be cleaned/confirmed.

The B+ stud connections at the underhood fuse block, starter, and generator should be checked for "clean and tight" as well. You might also want to check or intermittent grounding of the generator itself. It's supposed to ground through it's mounting to the engine, but I've seen this corrode up. As a quick check you might want to just add an alligator clip jumper wire from the case of the alternator to a good engine ground to see if the brownouts are eliminated. If that is all good I would test the battery and then replace the generator.
HTH
Wop