Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Fuel gauge moving randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel gauge moving randomly

When I'm sitting in my car with the engine running while parked, and listening to music... the fuel gauge moves randomly. I thought at first it might just be the music causing the fuel to slosh around or something, but I sat there for a good while with the music off and it still did it. Anyone know if this is normal or not? It would go up about a quarter of an inch and then back down and then back up, rather slow. Not fast. At first I thought I was leaking fuel, so I checked my undercarriage and nothing. Everything appears to be normal except the gauge. Anyone know?

Thanks,
-Aleckor
Old 03-20-2007, 03:48 AM

Anyone? Speculation would probably be helpful at this point. I don't care if you know the answer or not. Think I should be worried?
-Aleckor
Old 03-20-2007, 04:08 AM

Hmm, that's weird. You were parked right? Yeah i've never seen my gauge do that....i'll look more closely next time
Old 04-11-2007, 02:55 PM

I haven't noticed it happen again, maybe it was a freak occurance. Then again, I haven't been parked with the music blaring since then either. Noone else has noticed this?
-Aleckor
Old 04-11-2007, 02:57 PM

I noticed that before (havent paid attention recently) but it wasn't by much. I think our cars just have a little nervous twitch to em.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*****THERE MAY BE A REFLASH FOR THIS*****

Take the car to your dealer and tell them you're having problems with the fuel gauge readings changing sporadically.

I know there was a reflash for the 05 and 06 Cobalts, I would have THOUGHT that they would have fixed it for 07, but you never know. Take it to the dealer and find out.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM

Mine do it too, it's normal, I think the fuel gauge is very sensitive to the movement of the gas in the tank.

But if you put it in Reverse or in D position, the gauge seem to be less sensitive and it's not moving but the minute you put it in Park after a drive it move randomly...

And the reflash is for the gauge not going to FULL when you full it up with gas. The dealer have done it on my car and it seem that's doing nothing, just thinking that the fuel pump at the gas station stop before the tank is really full, if I really put gas in it until it cannot take anymore the fuel gauge go to full.

That fuel gauge is too sensitive, the pump at the gas station stop 1/2 sec before it's really full and we can see it on the fuel gauge...

And, am I the only one to find that the fuel gauge is lowering rapidly?? Like after only 5-10 Km after I fuel it up at the gas station, the fuel gauge do not even touch the max of the gauge??? I can almost see it go down while I am driving! In another car i need to drive 15-20 Km to see it go down to another point while in this car, I just need to drive 2-5 Km....
Old 04-11-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by http
And the reflash is for the gauge not going to FULL when you full it up with gas.
Hmmmm, that's a different reflash then. The reflash I had done on my car fixed the sporadic fuel readings. I used to have a half tank, then a quarter, then closer to 3/4. Reflash fixed that and now there's no more fluctuations in it.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Hmmmm, that's a different reflash then. The reflash I had done on my car fixed the sporadic fuel readings. I used to have a half tank, then a quarter, then closer to 3/4. Reflash fixed that and now there's no more fluctuations in it.

Think I need to get that reflash done on mine!

The dealer gonna hate me, need to fix the key that won't come out of the ignition (they changed parts but problem still there) and the steering shaft make a noise everytime I turn the wheel...

Don't know if I should add the reflash of the fuel gauge because look like the guy at the service cannot see my face anymore, not my fault if I got these problem! Arf...
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 AM

Oh no, these fluctuations aren't THAT severe. They're more a scary kind of "Oh my god is my gas tank slowly leaking" kind of fluctuation. But then it slowly goes back up, and slowly goes back down. The first time it happened to me I actually got out and checked to make sure it wasn't leaking.

It's not really that big of a deal, since I haven't noticed it since... but I have noticed that the fuel gauge seems to want to empty really quickly from Full to half full, and then finally start to slow down. Does anyone else notice this?

I'll have a topped off (I know bad, right?) tank and my gauge will be completely full. Not even 50 miles later I'm at 3/4 and another 50 and I'm just below half. Then it finally settles down and slows down for another 120-170 miles before empty. Shrug. I'll keep a closer eye on it now to see if I notice anything else.
-Aleckor
Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 PM

Same thing with me, it empty really quick! But more quickly from half full to empty, but anyway it's fast!

I think it's because the fuel gauge is almost a perfect circle compared to half-circle of the other cars so our will go down more quickly. A more graduated fuel gauge will be more precise than a fuel gauge with like 2 or 3 graduations.