Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Helicoil & timesert

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicoil & timesert

So i have a stripped thread for my second plug (head of the engine not the plug itself) so i need to repair it. people on here told me to get helicoils so i did a little research and asked quite a few of my mechanic friends. most of them said helicoils r ok but they sometimes they wont seat properly and they're kindof a pain. idk. ha but anyway. my dads cousin who buys old muscle cars and restores them, and also a guy at the machine shop said that timesert's are the same idea but they r in their opinion, better than helicoils. and just based on me watching the instruction video id have to agree. So i need to get my car fixed asap so im trying to buy the kit.

the problem is, i buy the kit which is easy enough, but the inserts come seperatly (the new threads that go into the head). they need to know the size that i need. im a bit of a moron so help me out. heres the link to the website. they're a bit confusing. i need to call and order by part #'s. so take a look and let me know if any of u know wtf insert i need to order.
http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM

please say if u know for sure, dont just guess
Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Buy a new head. I personally would never use a heli coil for that. No matter what the head has to come off.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/68...ling-head.html

This guy did it with the head on. I don't like the idea but it worked.

Last edited by Superbalt06; 09-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Superbalt06
Buy a new head. I personally would never use a heli coil for that. No matter what the head has to come off.

Repair stripped spark plug hole -- without pulling head!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

This guy did it with the head on. I don't like the idea but it worked.
ya. im not buying a new head. and u dont have to take the head off according to all the people ive talked to about this. u lube the tap and i catches like 90% of the shavings and then u vaccum the rest out as best as u can. the head is only aluminum so a tiny little bit will fine. i do appreciate what ur saying but im ******* BROKE right now and ive been reassured by quite a few trusted mechanics that i can do it this way. and like i stated in the OP, im not using helicoil im using timesert.

and to the link. yea timesert is the big thing in the ford v8 spark plug issues. im pretty sure the kit for the ford v8's is like 600$ tho ha. but timesert has a very good rep and i havent read one bad thing about there repair kits yet. so im going to give it a shot. like someone said in that link. im not gonna go through taking the head off when i could TRY this and it'll more than likely work perfectly.

Last edited by kikal8; 09-27-2012 at 03:01 PM.