Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Installed CA Stage 1, new gasket set, ported TB. Car won't run. PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed CA Stage 1, new gasket set, ported TB. Car won't run. PLEASE help!

Here's the story. About a month ago I purchased the Cobalt Addiction Stage 1 kit, which comes with a 3.0 pulley, belt, step colder plugs, and a ECU reflash. In the process of doing this, I realized I had a huge gasket leak into my #3 Spark Plug tube. We removed the valve cover and replaced all 4 spark plug tube gaskets, as well as the valve cover gasket. In addition to this, we cleaned(with carb cleaner) and ported the stock throttle body, basically dremeling out some of the material to increase airflow without getting too close to the throttle plate. I've have done a bunch of them this way with great results on other vehicles, including my 450whp SRT-4 with great results. This is the jist of what we have done.

Now, here is what's happening. Immediately after putting everything on, we started the car. It starts right up, but the idle is all over the place, bounces up and down, then stalls within 10 seconds. If you rev it a little, the rpms will go up, but it is super choppy and will bog and stall within a few seconds. The one and only time we were able to drive it, it jerked horribly all over the place and we got the ENGINE POWER REDUCED on the dash.

Here is what I have checked and done, and has made no difference.
-Checked for obvious leaks
-Double checked all sensors and ECU connections
-Removed throttle body again, inspected, and blew some compressed air through it
-Sent ECU back to Cobalt Addiction for another reflash incase the first was messed up. Replaced and had no effect.

What is wrong that the car will not run? We had it flatbedded to our local Chevy dealership for the CASE relearn, but the tech could not get through the procedure without the car stalling out. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated at this point. I am leaning towards replacing the throttle body next, as carb cleaner MAY have found its way into the sensoring inside and damaged it. After that, I do not know which direction to go. The car has been off the road for longer than I can remember and just want the thing running.

I am located in Northern NJ, so if anyone could recommend a shop/forums member that could get this thing running or at least shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Bump for input please. Car still won't run.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put on a stock TB and go from there,sounds to me like this time the porting buggered it up (metal dust getting into wear it shouldnt) and go from there.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
Put on a stock TB and go from there,sounds to me like this time the porting buggered it up (metal dust getting into wear it shouldnt) and go from there.
Purchased a brand new TB from Chevy today. Installed and the car did the same thing. WTF...
Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 PM

Can't help, but pics of the Srt..
Old 10-25-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the connectors on the pcm good.
Check them for proper seating and maybe look at the pins to see that
there are none that are bent.

No Cel ?