Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

LSJ coolant loss, engine coolant surge tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSJ coolant loss, engine coolant surge tank?

I've been keeping an eye on my engine coolant level, since a while back I add some to it. It's been around a month since I last added exactly to the full line, and now the tank is showing between a 1/4" - 1/2" below the full line. I know it's not getting into the oil since the level is not increasing and the cap is not milky. It's not burning it as far as I can tell, or leaking it. Does anyone else find that they have to add this often? It doesn't seem normal to me as you should not have to add any coolant to a car.

I've also noticed that the engine coolant tank is starting to get a slight yellow tint, and there are water droplets on the inside of the tank on the top of it. Does anyone elses tank look like this? Could this be an indication of a slight leak or air getting into the system?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 05redline
I've been keeping an eye on my engine coolant level, since a while back I add some to it. It's been around a month since I last added exactly to the full line, and now the tank is showing between a 1/4" - 1/2" below the full line. I know it's not getting into the oil since the level is not increasing and the cap is not milky. It's not burning it as far as I can tell, or leaking it. Does anyone else find that they have to add this often? It doesn't seem normal to me as you should not have to add any coolant to a car.

I've also noticed that the engine coolant tank is starting to get a slight yellow tint, and there are water droplets on the inside of the tank on the top of it. Does anyone elses tank look like this? Could this be an indication of a slight leak or air getting into the system?
The way our system is set up any air automatically bleeds out. I don't really understand when you say you see water droplets inside the tank. Could you clarify.

Have you pressurized the coolant system to look for a leak? There's no white smoke/sweet smell whatsoever coming out of your tail pipe? Also with the small amount of coolant you lost, if it was getting into your oil, then your oil level wouldn't have gone up significantly and your cap probably wouldn't be milky either.

If you're sure that you're not leaking any coolant or burning it off then I would wait and see if you lose any more coolant. Then do an oil change and let the oil sit for awhile. If there is coolant in it then it'll float on top once it separates.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Novajoe
The way our system is set up any air automatically bleeds out. I don't really understand when you say you see water droplets inside the tank. Could you clarify.
While the hood is open and you look at the surge tank, you can see water droplets clinging on to the top of the tank where the coolant is.

Here's a somewhat better description. Imagine if you were steaming something with a lid on it. Ever notice how theres water droplets that cling to the lid from evaporation? That's sort of what the surge tank looks like.

No pressure tests or anything, I'll let the delear mess with that. Warranty.

Originally Posted by Novajoe
If you're sure that you're not leaking any coolant or burning it off then I would wait and see if you lose any more coolant. Then do an oil change and let the oil sit for awhile. If there is coolant in it then it'll float on top once it separates.
I've never seen anything that would indicate a mix whenever I've changed the oil.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 05redline
While the hood is open and you look at the surge tank, you can see water droplets clinging on to the top of the tank where the coolant is.

Here's a somewhat better description. Imagine if you were steaming something with a lid on it. Ever notice how theres water droplets that cling to the lid from evaporation? That's sort of what the surge tank looks like.
Gotcha. That's normal. Eventually the water in the mixture is going to steam off when it get's hot enough, but it won't leave the system unless the pressure gets too high. Like if you're overheating
Old 09-21-2007, 10:53 PM

thats what my car was doing. It goes low coolant about every 3-4k miles. I'm currently lemon lawing it cause the edalership couldn't fix it numerous times.