Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Passenger side leak HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Passenger side leak HELP!!!!!!

The other day i get in my car and the passenger side floorboard is soaked. I found that it is coming out of my door. Water runs from under the door panel and right on top of the weather striping and it goes under the black plastic on the inside of car and fills my carpet. Do you guys have any idea as to what this could be from and if so what could possibly have to be replaced? I have 52k miles and my extended warranty will not cover it. Should i try to figure it out or just take the hit and go see the chevy place?

I also had new speakers put in about a two months ago, anyone have this problem after new speakers??!?! Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 01:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Its because the vapor barrier in the door isnt sealed anymore, probably got removed, moved or otherwise damaged during the speaker install. I see this at least once a week, especially once it gets cold
Old 12-20-2008, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Maven
Its because the vapor barrier in the door isnt sealed anymore, probably got removed, moved or otherwise damaged during the speaker install. I see this at least once a week, especially once it gets cold
Is that easily fixed? what should I do? Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by LT4ME
Is that easily fixed? what should I do? Thanks
If you can take off the door panel, youll be able to solve the problem.....theres a plastic barrier that is held to door with adhesive, you either just need to press it back on, or replace it.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:22 AM

I really hope that works and thanks for the help man!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:36 AM

Update---- Took door apart and speaker is filled with water( the water was actually going through the speaker and under the door skin to lead into the cabin). Is the vapor barrier like black cauking? All of that is intact except where my power mirror wires run to the mirror there is none. When i checked it out I could see water was coming in from the top of my door and going down a pipe looking thing and there was a drip about two inches away from where the pipe thing was. Anyways Is is normal for the water to rush in from two or three spots or should it come in at the one place that looks like water would go down it?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 AM

Okay I didnt even read past your first sentence, if water is coming in through or under the speaker, you need to protect the speaker so water doesnt fall onto it, and you need to seal the speaker to the door. You can use dynamat or butyl strip caulk to seal it to door, and you need to use some plastic or something to make a little hat to cover speaker so it doesnt get water dripping into it.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

I think the bigger question is why is water actually getting anywhere near the speaker in the first place - I'm pretty sure that isn't normal. I'd try and find out where it was actually entering and seal that up.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:51 PM

its entering the door through the window belt seals, this is perfectly normal....the inside of your door gets wet when it rains, nothing you can do about it. The fact that its a non stock speaker and the door has been apart are almost assuredly the reason why its leaking now.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Banned

Yeah, you're probably right. I haven't torn open the door panels on my car so I don't know how fitment would go, but if the speaker's too large or something I could easily see it catching that water.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM

thanks for the help guys. I am ordering baffles for the speakers and i'm gonna seal them to the door. So yea hopefully no more puddles in my floor!!!

Originally Posted by Dainslaif
Yeah, you're probably right. I haven't torn open the door panels on my car so I don't know how fitment would go, but if the speaker's too large or something I could easily see it catching that water.
This makes sense and after looking at my factory speakers compared with the new JL's, I found that the JL's are about an inch deeper than the factory ones so they would have caught alot more water that the others, but that thought never crossed my mind because i did not realize how wet it could get inside the door.

Last edited by LT4ME; 12-22-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 PM

Ok Im reviving this thread. My passenger floor board is soaked. I have seen a bead if water on the door panel near the speaker once. I have stock speakers. When it rains a good amount of water settles on the door sill (say below and in line where the speaker would be). When I say soaked I mean SOAKED! I noticed the top side (carpet) wet a few times and shop vac'd it up. But I decided to investigate further today and when I pulled up the carpet the foam padding is ringing wet. So I pulled the carpet out of the car so that it will dry. And tomorrow I plan (with the help of a friend) on taking the garden hose to the car, while my friend sits inside Im gonna hose down the car to see if he see any leaks.
I feel this has been going on for a while due to the amount of water that is soaked up in the foam padding. Not sure where it could be coming from, any suggestions?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:06 PM

same problem, went to replace my speakers cause they didnt work, found out it was soaked in water. i looked and the only way for water to get in is if it comes in when u put the window down. what a **** off. ****** gm
Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caddiondubs
same problem, went to replace my speakers cause they didnt work, found out it was soaked in water. i looked and the only way for water to get in is if it comes in when u put the window down. what a **** off. ****** gm
dude the inside of doors always get wet when it rains in every car. not cause it's a gm