Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Problem matching the paint??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem matching the paint??

Ok i'm calling out for some help on this one...as some of you know i got rear ended the day after christmas...not too bad totalled a civic thought it was all good her insurance paid for everything let me pick the shop i wanted to fix it...I took it back to the dealership that i bought it from here in Dover. Well the first week of Feb they call me to tell me the car is done..I go pick it up and take it home i looked everything over didnt really notice anything off becuz they had just got done washing it and it all looked good. The next day i get a really good look at and i noticed that the bumper and the rest of the car are two diff colors...wtf. Call the dealership they tell me bring it in we'll repaint the bumper and match it better. Pick it up the second time...same thing i know we had the snow coming and i wanted something reliable to drive in the snow if i had to...the malibu they gave me for a rental blew ass. So now i'm stuck they told me today i can bring it back and they will try again but this is really becoming a pain in the ass...My question is has anyone heard of problems matching victory red or do i just have retards for body shop people? They keep telling me it's very very difficult to match this color becuz of all the orange in the paint..So if they can't match it can i ask for my money back and take it somewhere else and if so any suggestions on where? Also what do you think my odds of getting the car repainted are...i know it won't be as good a job as the factory but i really can't stand my car being two diff colors...any input would be appreciated
Old 02-14-2006, 12:03 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
I have been rear ended twice and each time the paint matched perfectly and I didn't use a dealer body shop.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the problem here is...go look at a new car. The bumpers and the rest of the car won't match. It's funny how no one pays attention to detail on new vehicles. Anyways, reason for this is 1.paint coverage on plastic and on metal are different. 2. they aren't painted the same time, so you have a difference of coverage coats which can only mean one coat and usually does, but thats what it is. I've been around a bodyshop my whole life and own one myself and I have had this problem myself. No matter what, it's going to look differently, and also depending on what color. Yellows, oranges, blues, stupid silver and red will be the biggest offenders. On a side note, I advise everyone here to have a good once over on your "new" vehicle and you'll notice everything from shade discrepancies to factory orange peel on the whole car. It's not as great as you think factory paint is. If you do this at least you would all respect your bodyman a little more when you notice his "flaws"

Oh and for anyone about to catch me on why I seem to be a GM partsman and a bodyman at the same time, we are in the process of moving so I am back at my old job, selling GM parts. Just thought I should mention that to keep my credibility.