Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Stupid GM Policies

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluebalt07
If it does say anything about this, GM is breaking the law.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/prob...y-laws-157346/
I believe what he is saying is that if your mods cause a failure that repair wouldn't be covered under warranty. Not that it voids your entire warranty. Unfortunately its a lot easier than some people think to get the issue fit into the your mod caused a failure side of things.

so i've been having an oil leak around my timing chain tensioner for a while now and just took it to the dealership this week because i found out the car is still under the power train warranty. Monday it goes in and they replace the tensioner and valve cover gasket and give it back. Next day its leaking worse than before so back it went today. They called and said they found something wrong with the head but instead of just replacing the head they said they are going to fix it with epoxy. They said that is the gm policy. Anyone else think that its an awful idea to repair such a vital engine part with glue?
Also this type of repair isn't uncommon for other OEM's either. Quite simply its more expensive to open up the engine looking for problems. Your head might fail tomorrow or it might go for years before totally failing. They also do make high temp metal epoxy just for repairs like this. Will it be good as new? Maybe or maybe not. Will it last a whole lot longer than just leaving it while costing a fraction of the repair costs? You bet.

I went through something similar with Toyota. Their POS supercharger mounts failed (happened 2 times), which caused the pulley to wobble and shredded the bearings. They replaced the supercharger and cleaned everything out until it went into the intake manifold and refused to open it up and make sure nothing got inside the engine. It looked like a little metal trail down the intake so of course some got into the engine. They wouldn't fix/clean it because it didn't have a problem yet. In my case I sold the car because 1 my warranty was almost up and 2 I had no faith in the new supercharger being any better than the 1st 2 were (pretty much everyone of them failed and it was redesigned 2 times without much improvement).

Last edited by emiller; 11-06-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Banned

Well I hope you win your battle with the dealership
Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demento
Well I hope you win your battle with the dealership
Thanks. It goes in tomorrow and they are going to look into it some more before they decide how to fix it I guess so we'll see how it goes
Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Well just heard back from my dealership after they've had my car for the past 2 days. They told me that they were going to do nothing to it because they determined that there were "performance modifications that caused the problem". The thing they seemed to blame most was my aeroforce interceptor gauge claiming that it was a performance module, the best part is it was not even plugged in when it was taken to the dealership. They said that they would fix the problem and take 30% off the bill which was going to amount to $2000. This is the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard
Old 11-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Well just heard back from my dealership after they've had my car for the past 2 days. They told me that they were going to do nothing to it because they determined that there were "performance modifications that caused the problem". The thing they seemed to blame most was my aeroforce interceptor gauge claiming that it was a performance module, the best part is it was not even plugged in when it was taken to the dealership. They said that they would fix the problem and take 30% off the bill which was going to amount to $2000. This is the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard
What friggin jack wagons!

Fight it man. Prove that they don't know what they are talking about.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:34 PM

my interceptor was also listed as a mod that contributed to my car issues as well
Old 11-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Well now you know the next step.. Call the manufacturer of the part they said was the problem and get all the facts about the part. Go to them with proof from the manufacturer that it can't POSSIBLY be the problem.

FIGHT IT!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JacBlackSS/TC
my interceptor was also listed as a mod that contributed to my car issues as well
****, I better remove my interceptor before it blows a canuter valve on my car, and voids my warranty, haha.

I can't believe how dumb some dealerships can be. Thankfully, I have a good dealership near by.
Banned

I talked to Christian at GM Customer Service and he is going to get in contact with the dealership to try and straighten this out.

Yeah I think congress actually passed a law about this sorta thing.
Magnuson
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM

i am done with gm customer service waited over 3 months and still don't have a solution
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
If you modified the head or had a performance tune I would tend to agree with denial of warranty. Bolt ons and an interceptor would never cause the head to leak unless you installed something wrong.

Interceptor is a monitoring device. That is all.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Joe Schulte
This.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
If you modified the head or had a performance tune I would tend to agree with denial of warranty. Bolt ons and an interceptor would never cause the head to leak unless you installed something wrong.

Interceptor is a monitoring device. That is all.
I agree. I've always been told that modifications only void the warranty of the part that's been modified, i.e. because I modified the exhaust, the exhaust is no longer under warranty. I'm not sure how a header could be installed wrong because even if someone were to over torque the studs, they'd just snap before any damage could be done to the head. And the claim about the interceptor just blows my mind, especially since it wasn't even plugged in when it went to the dealership, which I did not to try to hide it but because I figured they'd run diagnostics on the car and I didn't want to take the chance of them breaking something when unplugging the interceptor.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
wow, lol. I wish i could hear the dialogue between you and the dealer when they told you how the interceptor voids your warranty because it enhances your performance.

I pray to God they didnt find any stickers or decals on your car, they could just start adding up the performance increases +5 +10 +15 hp right there. Sorry sir but we have to void your warranty.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

This is why I am not moding my Mustang so I do not have to play any of these games if something should happen and then some ******* at a dealership say so sorry you voided your warrenty with your add ons
Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by demento
This is why I am not moding my Mustang so I do not have to play any of these games if something should happen and then some ******* at a dealership say so sorry you voided your warrenty with your add ons
With the kinda thinking it takes to blame a cracked head on an interceptor gauge, the next step must be that changing your oil or air filter voids the warranty.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
With the kinda thinking it takes to blame a cracked head on an interceptor gauge, the next step must be that changing your oil or air filter voids the warranty.
That has been pulled before. Or cracked oil housing due to overtightened oil filter. Anything can be made up. It's up to the customer to work their ass off to get warranty work done these days. Sucks
Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had good and bad with the dealer. Installed my Spec Clutch under warranty but the slave failed and I didnt Want to wait another 5 weeks to get it done again so I did it myself and havnt had a problem since. All minor stuff I let the m take care of with no major issues. Now I just let my son in law take it to the dealer he works for to get inspections and oil changes , recalls etc.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Have you ever had the head off? If it looks like its been off that's why they are blaming you.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emiller
Have you ever had the head off? If it looks like its been off that's why they are blaming you.
Nope. The head has never been off, in fact nothing has ever been done to the engine except for what the dealership did this past week.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
GM "customer service" is the biggest joke in the automotive industry. All the customer service will do for you is repeat what the dealership has already concluded, regardless of what kind of bullshit they are really feeding you. Cut your losses, ditch the shitty car they provided you, and purchase something else. Advise your friends/family/colleagues to do the same.

The new GM sucks. The leftover dealerships suck. The techs are clueless morons. Such a failure of a company.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:48 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
That has been pulled before. Or cracked oil housing due to overtightened oil filter. Anything can be made up. It's up to the customer to work their ass off to get warranty work done these days. Sucks
That was the excuse they used, initially, for my cracked casting. I've been working on internal combustion engines ever since I was ******* 9 years old, AND I have a college degree in business. So not only do I know how to perform my own ******* oil changes, but I also know the logistics behind all of this service department bullshit. For some ******* jackwagon flate rate auto technician to try and place blame on my mechanics for some piece of **** GM part failing is downright insulting. Again, **** this company and its customer service. I now take pride in taking my hard earned money to a local, privately owned shop where not only is my car treated like one of their own, but the customer service is out of this world. Any ******* can turn a wrench, but it takes knowledge behind the counter and great customer service skills to create a return customer.

Last edited by chris88z24; 11-13-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
GM "customer service" is the biggest joke in the automotive industry. All the customer service will do for you is repeat what the dealership has already concluded, regardless of what kind of bullshit they are really feeding you. Cut your losses, ditch the shitty car they provided you, and purchase something else. Advise your friends/family/colleagues to do the same.

The new GM sucks. The leftover dealerships suck. The techs are clueless morons. Such a failure of a company.
Then go buy someone else's car and bitch on their forum when you get the same treatment. I wonder how many people with GM sucks and is stupid attitudes talk to the dealer like that. Of course they got bad service. I know I get treated better when I calm down. I treat people like they treat me at work too.

You need to remember the customer service person isn't at the dealer looking at the car. They probably aren't a mechanics. If the dealer misdiagnosed the problem or can't explain it then GM has no way of knowing that either.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris88z24

Honestly customer service has been the only ones from GM that have even tried to be helpful. Both dealerships I've ever dealt with just treat me like they don't care if they help me or not with the balt and with other vehicles. And the district service manager is the one who decided my warranty was void. The people that from customer service have been the only ones who seem to listen when I explain what's going on and actually try to do anything about it.

Quick Reply: Stupid GM Policies