Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Why are dealers f***ing dumb

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are dealers f***ing dumb

So i bought my 07 balt 18 days ago, they had it the whole second week to fix a recall and the dipstick popping out. I get it back, get into the boost and what do you know, still pops out. So i call the service manager back and ask him what they did to try and he says "they didnt tell me but bring it back monday and well get it fixed". Nice, so monday i bring it back and he goes and talks to the shop manager and the guy says they need to clean out the pcv system but the tech isnt there to do it. Ok fine, so I tell them it is a common problem and they need to change out the intake manifold gasket with the new updated one to seal off the pcv and bam its fixed. Oddly enough its the same thing i told him the first time they had it. He said well we dont get any of these ss coblts in so the guys arent sure what it is and they want to start at the smallest thing first. Guess what dip ****, clean it out when you take off the manifold to swap the gasket.....why do they act like it comes out of their own pocket? I'm half tempted to pay the $15 for the gasket and change it out my self.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Nah, if it's under warranty through the dealer, make them do it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Yeah i'm trying, i have warranty voiding parts coming and I want them on but need it fixed first!!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 PM

What are they?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 PM

Warranty don't pay for anything the the dealer/customer wants. Most dealers don't like customers telling them how to fix stuff. I know my place don't
Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Stage 2, new h/e and a few other little parts.

When they openly admit they don't get any of the supercharged or turbo'ed cobalts and aren't sure where to start, I'm going to suggest how to fix it knowing I have done my research. That is why I always fix **** myself and have never gone to a dealer. Anytime I had a warranty issue it was nothing but trouble and they always try to find a way to get out of it. I have been around cars my whole life, my step-dad as been a certified mechanic for 30 years...i'm not some off the street kid just spitballing it.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 5hizn1t
Warranty don't pay for anything the the dealer/customer wants. Most dealers don't like customers telling them how to fix stuff. I know my place don't
Thats true, My dealer had my car for like 97 days, Day 1 i told them I most likely had the porous block issue. They said no because they have never heard of it. They swapped my headgasket and it didnt fix it so they said it was my hardpipes that cause the issue and they wont look into it anymore..Needless to say after the district rep was involved and made them tear apart the motor to find the problem. Low and behold it was the porous block issue. I went in there with the biggest smile wanted to flip out but didnt. I left kindly and from now on tell everyone i know do NOT go to that dealer lol.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 AM

sometimes tho its in the people you deal with, the dealership i go to now my buddy works at and he doesnt everything for us under warranty if he can get away with it and sometimes even if he cant he still does, and if its a problem hes never seen before the first thing he says to me is "eric what do the threads say about this?" like i just found out that the plastic clips on the shifter cable have been replaced with metal ones GM realized those plastic ones are ****.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 PM

dont even start on the forums. The first time I told them that I read about the fuel sending unit recall on here and wanted it checked and he said I dont belive anything I read on there because its a bunch of angry guys bad mouthing dealers that have no mechanical experience, just a bunch of opionins....guess what, my sending unit was cracked to **** and it was under recall!!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You bought the car 18 days before your post. Did you have a previous relationship with this dealership? 18 days is not a lot of time to build a trust with a guy who's job is to account for every hour that his shop puts in.

If you are right on this one, and are not an ass to him, then you'll have gone a long way to building that for next time.

I've been using the same dealer for the 12 years I've been living out here. If I call and say "Bob the Cobalt needs an intake gasket" He would say "Sure, when do you want to bring it in and do you need me to reserve a loaner?" but it took a while to get there. It sure didn't happen within a couple of days.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 PM

My dealer said there was no such thing as a gm stage 1 kit for the ss/tc. Yes they are ****ing stupid
Old 02-05-2011, 12:27 PM

lmfao! well i must say im sure every1 has a prob w/ dealers lol... i was afraid to take mine to get my probs fix w/ mine cuz chevy wanted to charge me 100$ if there was nothing wrong, and i told them the 8 codes that flashed was leading to tb and pcm, "oh no, were going to run diagnostics first," ok well lemme know when you wanna replace them parts ill sit and wait... 24 hrs later, we have to replace pcm and tb, its underwarranty but you have to wait 3 days for the parts... thanx deusch.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
this. it sucks. had the same issue with my ms3...well i mean there was a leak in the downpipe gasket. I tell them what it is but they would never check..irritating as hell. If it is a tsb print it and bring it in.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM

No previous relationship with the dealer, I hate dealers and dread even going to look at a new car because they are all dirty, doesn't matter what anyone says. I bought a wrx a few years ago, picked it up and went to NY for the weekend. Pulled into my driveway after the drive back and bam, main drive gear explodes in the trans. Dealer comes, says they need to investigate and see if it's my fault. They call me up and say everything checks out and that the clutch isn't covered even though it needed to be changed due to the damage, $1100 parts and labor even when they are already in there. How do you build a good relationship with someone when they try to fu@k you over, dont take your advise and leave you hanging on a vehicle you just bought from them?? I'm not going to print out anything for them when any part site you go on says "updated gasket from GM". They make one call and see that yes it is an issue and thats how to fix it.

....either way, i'm sure we can go in circles talking about this and that. Bottom line they need to have a tech that knows what the hell he is doing rather then throwing parts at it wasting my time driving 45 minutes each way to fix something and be stranded without a car for a week at a time.

Last edited by klloyd; 02-05-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: more ranting
Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Clutches are wear items. Wear items are not covered under warranty. Only for the first 5000 miles can a dealer MAYBE get a wear item replaced for free.

One example of GM not paying for everything all the time is at the dealership where I work, a guy comes in with an 06 2500 GMC with the 6.6 Duramax. His injectors are stopped up. They are covered under the new policy and the GM Tech replaces all 8. The warranty rep sends the claim in and forgets to type in all the specs from the snap shot. She messed up and instead of putting 65 she only hit 6. GM denied the claim and the whole repair got charged back to the dealership. The repair was almost $4000. You can not resubmit powertrain claims. Most warranty claims you can but those you can't. Once they deny it it's over.

That's a little different than this case but I just wanted to put out that just because it's under warranty it don't mean that everything is covered. Even repeat repairs on the same vehicle can get rejected.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Just called a dealer today and asked if they have any swaybar endlinks for an 08 cobalt ss in stock. The guy says "yeah they're $18 a piece it has 3 holes in it right?" Idk wtf he was talking about but I said nevermind ill look elsewhere, thanks.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM

We have them in stock . The part number is:

20784688 - Link, Front Stab Shaft
List Price: 39.83 Trade Price: 29.88 Dealer Price: 22.71

Last edited by 5hizn1t; 02-05-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 PM

We have them in stock . The part number is:

20784688 - Link, Front Stab Shaft
List Price: 39.83 Trade Price: 29.88 Dealer Price: 22.71

Thanks, but i actually made the old ones work. theyre a pain to get off when the car has seen a some Michigan snow... lol! I was installing coilovers and i was about to say screw it and cut the Links off but a lil hard work and we got em. lol!