Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Any Porter Cable 7424 users?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Porter Cable 7424 users?

For those with the PC 7424s, what are you all using as far as pad and polish combos?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 AM

Edge 2k 4" and 6" pads, SSR 2 and 2.5 polish, Megs DACP or Mezerna IP, followed up with JW Prime Strong and AJT.

I've now stepped up to a Makita Rotary however....Cut my correction times in half.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tofu
Edge 2k 4" and 6" pads, SSR 2 and 2.5 polish, Megs DACP or Mezerna IP, followed up with JW Prime Strong and AJT.

I've now stepped up to a Makita Rotary however....Cut my correction times in half.
How do you like the SSR's? With 2 or 2.5 do you have have to follow up with a finishing polish and pad, or is not that agressive?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 05redline
How do you like the SSR's? With 2 or 2.5 do you have have to follow up with a finishing polish and pad, or is not that agressive?
Hopefully you dont feel as though my opinion is biased, but the ssr's are great polishes. They do dust a little bit, but nothing I havent experienced w/ some other polishes as well. SSR2 can finish well enough on its own, but I always find that 2.5, as good as it finishes out, it still needs to be followed up w/ ssr1.

If you're interested in picking some up, heres the link for you, and remember the coupon for the forum discount IF you check our subforum, you'll find a bonus for hte month of december too

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poglco.html
Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 PM

^^^ im getting ready to purchase a package of theres with the UDM!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
Hopefully you dont feel as though my opinion is biased, but the ssr's are great polishes. They do dust a little bit, but nothing I havent experienced w/ some other polishes as well. SSR2 can finish well enough on its own, but I always find that 2.5, as good as it finishes out, it still needs to be followed up w/ ssr1.

If you're interested in picking some up, heres the link for you, and remember the coupon for the forum discount IF you check our subforum, you'll find a bonus for hte month of december too

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poglco.html
What kind of pad combo do you use with the SSRs? I was going to use a Lake Country CCS orange pad with the SSR 2.5, but what pad would you recommend with the SSR1?

Do you all follow up with any kinds of a filler polish such as red moose, etc., or just go straight into sealing or waxing?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 AM

Well, I don't use a PC7424, but I do have the UDM.

I use Lake Country CCS 6.5" Pads (Yellow, Orange, White, Blue, Black)

As for compounds, I use the Prima line of polishes (Cut, Swirl, Amigo)

As much as a like the 6.5" pads, I'm probably going to size down to the 5" CCS this year.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM

I love the SSR line-up for the PC. With the rotary I can correct 90% of marring with with a non aggressive polish/pad combo...it's fantastic. With the PC I usually do follow up with SSR1 and a finishing pad to clear up any hazing or small micro-marring left over. I've been wanting to try the Ultima lineup, which from what I gather produces similar results as Zaino without the "chemistry" confusion.

I did not know glimmerglass was a vendor here, that's awesome! I've been ordering from them for over a year now and the service is fantastic.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 AM

What kind of pad combo do you use with the SSRs? I was going to use a Lake Country CCS orange pad with the SSR 2.5, but what pad would you recommend with the SSR1?

Do you all follow up with any kinds of a filler polish such as red moose, etc., or just go straight into sealing or waxing?
I use a white pad for the ssr1 and orange w/ the 2.5. SSR3 can be used w/ a yellow, 2 can be done w/ white or orange.

I've suggested red moose glaze to a lot of people w/ dark colored cars and everyone has loved it. I dont find that it fills in TOO much, but really does a great job at deepening the paint. It's really easy to work with as well. However, clearkote has backordered RMG until either the end of dec or the beginning of jan. They had a bad batch of their base product come in, so between that and being away, they just cant ship it out before that. Unfortunately I'm all out right now and have had to backorder it for a few people. If you're interested in it, I can certainly have it shipped out as soon as its ready.

To answer your question though, you can do either. I've done black cars with and without RMG. There are so many different combos that there is not set way to do it. Some people do not like how glazes look, while others love it. This is something you can experiment with over time. Some other products used alone that look great on black is optiseal, EX, 476, 915 and nattys blue and red and of course, victoria wax, but that is a little pricey.

I did not know glimmerglass was a vendor here, that's awesome! I've been ordering from them for over a year now and the service is fantastic.

Last edited by Chris(NJ); 12-03-2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Banned

I love the SSR line-up for the PC. With the rotary I can correct 90% of marring with with a non aggressive polish/pad combo...it's fantastic. With the PC I usually do follow up with SSR1 and a finishing pad to clear up any hazing or small micro-marring left over. I've been wanting to try the Ultima lineup, which from what I gather produces similar results as Zaino without the "chemistry" confusion.

Can you get 90% or close to with the SSR and the PC? Or does it take a lot of passes? What sppeds do you typically use for the SSRs, between 5-6?

Some people do not like how glazes look, while others love it.
What kind of look does a glaze give off? Since I've got a darker color it may help. I'm going for the glossy wet look, would red moose do that?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 AM

Can you get 90% or close to with the SSR and the PC? Or does it take a lot of passes? What sppeds do you typically use for the SSRs, between 5-6?

What kind of look does a glaze give off? Since I've got a darker color it may help. I'm going for the glossy wet look, would red moose do that?
Yes, I would say that 90% is definitely a number you can get in terms of correction with the udm and poorboys. Using ssr2.5 on an orange pad, speed 6 is what I would recommend. On really bad paint, it may take 2-3 passes. Then with the ssr1 and a white pad, speed 5 is usually where I'm at.

Glazes will deepen the paint. Paired w/ a good carnauba like poorboys nattys blue, you'll be set. Heres an example of RMG and Nattys Blue.

Another w/ RMG and Nattys Blue:

Last edited by Chris(NJ); 12-04-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Nice, I think I'll give the RMG a go with a carnuba sealer like the Poorboys EX-P. Can the PC take out minor marring and swirls with the SSR 2 and 2.5 on lower speeds such as 3 or 4? Does the SSR1 capable of doing any correcting? I haven't had a chance to use it yet, and probably won't until spring so I'm not all that familiar with using it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM

Nice, I think I'll give the RMG a go with a carnuba sealer like the Poorboys EX-P. Can the PC take out minor marring and swirls with the SSR 2 and 2.5 on lower speeds such as 3 or 4? Does the SSR1 capable of doing any correcting? I haven't had a chance to use it yet, and probably won't until spring so I'm not all that familiar with using it.
well, the exp is the pure sealant. The one you're thinking of is simply, EX. Great product though! You'll love it. Honestly, the slower speeds on the pc wont accomplish much. Dont be afraid of the higher speeds. You'll need the speed to help break down the polishes. SSR1 will do very minor correcting. Mostly getting rid of hazing and very light swirls. Once you start to play with it, you'll see what I mean. I typically apply glazes or waxes on 3.5 fwiw
Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Banned

How hard is it for someone new to the PC and SSR polishes to cause hazing? Assuming one does not use a ton of polish. Do these polishes break down failry quickly? Hazing is really the only thing tht scares me about using it.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM

You'll get some hazing w/ the 2.5/org combo. Its common and is corrected w/ the lighter polishes. They do break down relatively quickly compared to optimum's which seem to take longer to break down, giving them longer work times.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

You'll get some hazing w/ the 2.5/org combo. Its common and is corrected w/ the lighter polishes. They do break down relatively quickly compared to optimum's which seem to take longer to break down, giving them longer work times.
Will it cause the type hazing like an inexperienced rotary user would leave behind, or just a little bit of marring here and there? Everyone seems to consdier hazing differently.

Would you happen to have any pics of what I could expect to see after using the SSR 2.5 before finishing?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 PM

No, the udm/pc does not cause the same type of buffer trails or holograms that a rotary can cause. Its typically just a little hazing from an aggressive combo approach that is typically cleaned up w/ a polishing pad/polish. Kinda hard to capture...I know I have some pics after ssr2.5 somewhere. I'll try digging them up tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 PM

Im lost with the stuff you guys are talking about. Im a painter in a body shop, i use a Dewalt DW849 buffer/polisher with 3M compounds and polishes. Im assuming alot of the stuff you guys are referring to is just for removing swirl marks, and to deepen the gloss of your paint for a show quality shine, Am I correct?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 AM

yes. The udm is a random orbital machine used to help remove swirls/scratches/oxidation, etc and deepen the appearance and gloss of the paint. The ssr lineup we're talking about is a range of aggressive polishes from very light(1) to heavy(3). It goes up from 1, 2, 2.5 and 3. Whenever you run out of the 3m, you should give some a shot, or the optimum lineup which has slightly longer work times.