Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Bump stop cutting, Alignments, Camber kits for Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does your very large assortment include an alignment rack? $75 bucks is cheap dude. That's like just a little more then a new video game. Compared to the $200 you spent on the springs.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottxKillyou
Ok I just bought my car and I've been looking into getting sportlines. What happens if I don't cut the bump stops so that if i have any suspension problems I can throw the stock springs back on and take it in for warranty work
every time you hit a bump, your springs will just stop moving because they don't have enough movement to dampen the bump. so your ride will suck, you will hate driving, and you will eventually cut them anyway.

man up. if you have suspension problems because of your springs, then it's on you to get it fixed. going back to stock to get warrenty work done for free when you know that you caused the problem is shady as hell. if you can't afford to fix your car if something goes wrong as a DIRECT result of what you did to the car, just leave it stock. that's my .02
Old 07-24-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i've been riding with the sportlines for aprox 25k miles now and i'm starting to notice that my fronts are developing a slightly negative camber.

you can't get that adjusted on these cars can you?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by hoffa
So i've been riding with the sportlines for aprox 25k miles now and i'm starting to notice that my fronts are developing a slightly negative camber.

you can't get that adjusted on these cars can you?
Yes you can, go to NAPA and ask then for camber adjustment bolts for your car. Caster is the only adjustment that cant be made without being "creative".
Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM

How long/far can I go on these new sportlines before I "have" to get an alignment. Money is tight right now
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by BULLETSSMOKE
How long/far can I go on these new sportlines before I "have" to get an alignment. Money is tight right now
That is absolutely the WRONG way to think about it. If you put the springs on, you do the alignment right then. Driving around with the springs on and not having the alignment is doing more and more damage to your tires every day.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by montecarloman
Yes you can, go to NAPA and ask then for camber adjustment bolts for your car. Caster is the only adjustment that cant be made without being "creative".
sweet.

definately something i'll do in the coming week or two. thanks!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM

I have to say I have seen some good information although 1/2c I dont agree with you saying lowering springs dont affect shock life, When you lower the car the shocks have more pressure which affect the seal. Usually with more than a 2" drop(I am rocking stock shocks and 2.5" drop TenzoR's BTW) your shock life is shortened considerably.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ring-4141.html
stiffer) will cause the shock to opperate outside of its normal range. This will cause the shock to have a much shorter life span or fail outright. Bad shocks will cause the car to bounce over bumps and hurt the ride quality and handling. If your shocks have more than about 50k miles on them, chances are they are already not working as well as they should. If you replace the springs and also replace the shocks with new OEM units, it will be ok for a while, but the shocks will wear out again, and faster than with the stock springs...if you find a good shock to match to the new springs you the ride quality will be better, and the life of the shock will be longer than OEM shocks with aftermarket springs.
I know this isnt a reputable source but it communicates my ideas best. I dont mean to doubt you 1/2c but I have been brought up in the car modifying scene with this being my knowledge. Please reference me why this is wrong.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:29 PM

Ok, I have a 2007 4dr LS putting progress springs on. Am I going to need the camber bolts or not? Getting an alignment right afterward and dont want to have to go and get them while its on the rack.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm old school

No. You will be fine without them.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:17 PM

i have a question.. i had mine put on a few months ago.. went to get it aligned but it still pulls to the right.. was it a bad alignment or could it be somethin else?

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
every time you hit a bump, your springs will just stop moving because they don't have enough movement to dampen the bump. so your ride will suck, you will hate driving, and you will eventually cut them anyway.

man up. if you have suspension problems because of your springs, then it's on you to get it fixed. going back to stock to get warrenty work done for free when you know that you caused the problem is shady as hell. if you can't afford to fix your car if something goes wrong as a DIRECT result of what you did to the car, just leave it stock. that's my .02
i didnt cut mine and the ride isnt that bad at all except if u hit some pot holes then u can REALLY feel it.. but i avoid all pot holes and bumps anyways so its not a big deal to me

Last edited by blk ss/sc 1; 11-01-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm old school

While a "bad" alignment is possible, it's more then likely the road you are driving on. Roads are paved with a "crown" in the center to allow water drainage. This will cause a car to seem to pull to the right, when actually it's just trying to roll down the hill.

There are other possibilities too. Try driving through a flat parking lot and see if still does it.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM

yea thats what i thought at first too.. but no its definately pullin to the right for some reason.. and the ******* ass guy who alligned said he wouldnt fix it because i ddint pay the $6 for the warranty when it NEVER went straight in the first place
Old 11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm old school

Why did you go to "dumb ass guy" to have your alignment done? Go to a GM shop. It's not expensive.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by campo165
I am not sure about the alignment thing. I havent gotten an alignment yet (lowered the car 1 week ago) and at low speeds, when accelerating through 0-20, the sterring wheel shakes pretty badly, I would love to know what is causing this. any suggestions?
I have this exact same problem. What is it?

I just lowered mine two days ago. The steering doesn't shake badly at all, however you can feel something, like the feeling of something wobbling, however, it will go away after I shift to second gear. It is definitely only noticeable at takeoff in first gear.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm old school

You either put something together incorrectly or loosely. Take it apart and do it over again.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
You either put something together incorrectly or loosely. Take it apart and do it over again.
Why would I only notice it when taking off from first then?.. Because after I'm in 2nd gear and moving, it's completely gone.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm old school

Gyroscopic stability.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM

Smart man.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Did this today with my friend. We removed everything, did everything slowly, and carefully. We installed everything properly, everything is seated correctly, etc.

It still happens.

Could it be because my camber is off in the from from lowering?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm old school

Toe will be effected, camber should be fine. But nothing so much as to cause a low speed vibration.

Start checking the other stuff, tire damage, wheel balance, brake warp, etc.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
I have this exact same problem. What is it?

I just lowered mine two days ago. The steering doesn't shake badly at all, however you can feel something, like the feeling of something wobbling, however, it will go away after I shift to second gear. It is definitely only noticeable at takeoff in first gear.
I have an entire thread about a "vibration issue" after I installed my sportlines. After I took them out and reinstalled the stockers the "vibration" went away. I then installed a set of cobalt addiction springs, and have the same issue. I have yet to figure out what it is. I changed the CV axles, Hubs and Bearings, and had the alignment done numerus times. Still to no avail I still have the vibration. SO I can feel your pain! If you ever find out what it is PLEASE let me know.

Here's the thread I had-
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...spring+install
Old 02-19-2009, 10:11 PM

do you have the link to the thread on the torque specs??
Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 PM

I think this is what you want, at the bottom of the first post..
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/front-strut-spring-r-r-23418/
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if I put on the Pro sportline lowering springs do I need to have it aligned and adjusted?

Quick Reply: Bump stop cutting, Alignments, Camber kits for Lowering Springs