Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Koni Yellow + Springs v.s Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni Yellow + Springs v.s Coilovers

Wow this is the first post I've made in ages on here.

Anyways, as I continue on my search to find the best compromise between comfort, driveability and performance I find myself staring into the eyes of my next possible mod. I was offered a great price for a set of brand new Koni Yellows (front and rear) this week, which made my mod bug disease return to me. I am really itching to whip out the cash and land seal the deal in this set of struts, but I can't help but wonder if I will regret this purchase. Now I'm a driver who cares more about turning than going fast in a straight, so essentially, coilovers have been embedded into my brain since the beginning of time. Those K-sport coilovers have been in numerous dreams and wishlists, now I find myself standing in the middle of the intersection deciding between the two. This Koni + springs combo has a tremendous user feedback, but the K-sport coilovers allow for manual camber adjustment which is wayyy appealing.

This is where I need the help of you guys and girls, the fine members of cobaltss.net. Putting aside the money difference, what would be a better setup for performance, yet maintaining some ride comfort and reliability?

Being in where we are subjected to road salt, and my SS/SC is a year round vehicle, corrosion of parts is major. K-sport says their coilovers are coated to prevent rust, but I want to know if any of you out there who live in areas with snowfall and drive their cars year round have these K-sports on their vehicles?

EDIT: I drive my car daily with trips to the local track every now and then. So a setup for a daily driver, yet with the performance of a sunday racer

Thanks for all, if any, feedback! and HAPPY EASTER!

Last edited by wongafet; 03-22-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to let you know I have had the K-Sport Kontrol Coilovers on my LS for 6-7 Weeks now and I'm going back to Eibach Pro-kit Springs + FE5 Shocks/Struts simply because of comfort and I've got an unexpected 3000 Km drive scheduled this summer. So with that said think carefully if cornering/handling is what you want or are you looking for a comfortable ride.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wongafet
Wow this is the first post I've made in ages on here.

Anyways, as I continue on my search to find the best compromise between comfort, driveability and performance I find myself staring into the eyes of my next possible mod. I was offered a great price for a set of brand new Koni Yellows (front and rear) this week, which made my mod bug disease return to me. I am really itching to whip out the cash and land seal the deal in this set of struts, but I can't help but wonder if I will regret this purchase. Now I'm a driver who cares more about turning than going fast in a straight, so essentially, coilovers have been embedded into my brain since the beginning of time. Those K-sport coilovers have been in numerous dreams and wishlists, now I find myself standing in the middle of the intersection deciding between the two. This Koni + springs combo has a tremendous user feedback, but the K-sport coilovers allow for manual camber adjustment which is wayyy appealing.

This is where I need the help of you guys and girls, the fine members of cobaltss.net. Putting aside the money difference, what would be a better setup for performance, yet maintaining some ride comfort and reliability?

Being in where we are subjected to road salt, and my SS/SC is a year round vehicle, corrosion of parts is major. K-sport says their coilovers are coated to prevent rust, but I want to know if any of you out there who live in areas with snowfall and drive their cars year round have these K-sports on their vehicles?

Thanks for all, if any, feedback! and HAPPY EASTER!
dont do it. The last time i ran Konis they had so reduced the droop travel that the inside front wheels spent most of the time in the air like a dog at a hydrant etc. Waste of time.

coil overs anything you put on the car and run in the winter will get screwed. dont do it...unless you are prepared to take them off for the winter...

Putting aside the money, cut the towers install ground control plates fit the latest Grand Am Koni challenge shocks developed by the Georgian Bay Motorsport folks at the front, hypercoils at the rear with coil over inserts ( I can do this and make you those) really neat. works great. Take them off for the winter.

But big bucks so why bother the stock SS/SC set up is so good, it just needs some bushings and a rear sway bar ( I do those too). I think the aftermarket stuff is a little to far out, but people love them so can these progress/bwoody things be far off? Only the track will tell, but i dont think you said you were at the track much... winter . Bad for your car....
Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qwikredline
dont do it. The last time i ran Konis they had so reduced the droop travel that the inside front wheels spent most of the time in the air like a dog at a hydrant etc. Waste of time.

coil overs anything you put on the car and run in the winter will get screwed. dont do it...unless you are prepared to take them off for the winter...

Putting aside the money, cut the towers install ground control plates fit the latest Grand Am Koni challenge shocks developed by the Georgian Bay Motorsport folks at the front, hypercoils at the rear with coil over inserts ( I can do this and make you those) really neat. works great. Take them off for the winter.

But big bucks so why bother the stock SS/SC set up is so good, it just needs some bushings and a rear sway bar ( I do those too). I think the aftermarket stuff is a little to far out, but people love them so can these progress/bwoody things be far off? Only the track will tell, but i dont think you said you were at the track much... winter . Bad for your car....
...how could you say the konis were too stiff? theyre adjustable down to a near stock level.... i LOVE my konis, and cant imagine my car without them. my only complaint with my suspension is ride height....but thats a simple fix. get eibach pros instead of eibach sportlines.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
subscribed