Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

LS Spring Rates for aftermarket springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS Spring Rates for aftermarket springs

Dose anyone know where to find technical information about such springs as the ebiach and ssc? What im specifically looking for is spring rates (real numbers, not "high" and "low"). I want a set of springs and struts of track day feel, adjustability, and quality (that means high spring rates). If anyone knows of other springs (ones better then the usual) that would be appreciated

I have a colbalt ls coupe 5-speed. I understand the springs on there right now are the touring/comfort springs. I don't want comfort, i want lateral g forces! They are far to high as well. Im looking for the ss or slightly lower ride height.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 AM

Then you need a set of HR or KW coil overs.

Spring rate doesnt matter on like a set of eibach sportlines with kionis because you cannot chage the springrate or the ride highth. Konis only allow you to adjust bound pressure not bound and rebound like a true set of good coil overs.

I have the eibach prokit on now, with factory struts, and that made a world of diffrence.

Youre limited only by your budget.
All available known coil overs
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/coilover-thread-28282/

Your biggest hold back right now is your tires(provided your sig is still correct. The car does everything through the tires.

Go get some 225 50 15 Tires or a new set of wheels and tires 17x7 with 225 45 17's

Thats where the handleing is found.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Yeah i dont think my budget will support coil overs this year. I think ill do springs first, then struts when money comes in. I do want all the adjustability of coil overs but right now thats outa my budget. Tires and wheel are a must. Ive been thinking doing a wheel style like the gmpp time trial car but white wheels and some nice summer tires.

Your sig pic is with the springs on? I like the ride height

Have you done, or know ne one thats done sway bars on the ls? whats the best ones to use?

Im the cinda guy that likes when a car can corner completely flat or almost no body roll. So keep that in mind.

My car is my daily driver, but i go to school at UW-stout. The backroads out there are almost like cali's canyon runs in some places. At any rate i want a touge car basicly, thats my passion.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Click on my name on the right side and then view public profile, lits all my mods

Yes thats on the Prokit on 255/50 15's

A guy I work with has the sportlines, and its just too low for my tastes and parking lots.

Also he hits his bump stops way more often than i do.

Its comforable on bumpy roads and on the hiway but sharp handleing on the twistys.

Get the SS/SC front sway bar its the cheapest and most effective.
then do the rear Progress bar.
Do those only after gettin off those shitty contentials

Ive got 2 sets of these one for autocross and one for daily driving. At $66 bucks a tire its hard to go wrong, it'ss be the best 300 you ever spent on an LS

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2

Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 PM

nice, i would have to agree about the sportlines. I think its too low to be practical. Especially for touge/backroad driving where not all the roads are flat and big bumps are common.

I cant do coilovers cause it would be to obvious at a dealer, they may refuse to give me service.

more later, back to work here......
Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 PM

The Prokit is also Black Springs; so if you rubbed off the eibach logo and part numbers, the techs would never be able to tell unless they measured the ride highth.

Other added bonuses of the pro kit, your factory struts will last longer, if you get an exhaust with a mid resonator you wont tear it up on speed bumps or bottoming out in road dips, its more comfortable on the freeway on long drives.

Do the springs, bars, and tires. Good/Great handleing without sacrificing ride quality. Then it gets serious after that.

Front Strut bar, Rear k-brace, Motor/ Trans mounts, Lower control arm bushings, then coil overs.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by blktrax
The Prokit is also Black Springs; so if you rubbed off the eibach logo and part numbers, the techs would never be able to tell unless they measured the ride highth.

Other added bonuses of the pro kit, your factory struts will last longer, if you get an exhaust with a mid resonator you wont tear it up on speed bumps or bottoming out in road dips, its more comfortable on the freeway on long drives.

Do the springs, bars, and tires. Good/Great handling without sacrificing ride quality. Then it gets serious after that.

Front Strut bar, Rear k-brace, Motor/ Trans mounts, Lower control arm bushings, then coil overs.
sounds like someone likes suspension. Me too
Old 07-30-2007, 02:45 PM

It more fun to treat the throttle like you have an egg under it rather than use it like a hammer.

Besides, going fast in a straight line only lasts for so long; before the enevidiable, I NEED MORE POWA'.

Brakes and Suspension are where its at, if you can stop and steer a turbo does nothing for ya.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:33 AM

I wish I could find some numbers for you, but I can't. check with the manufacturers.

I have heard good things about canuck motorsports springs, I have heard they give a drop between the ssc and sportlines, yet are more firm than either of the two.

Personaly, I wish I would have waited on my springs and saved up for some coilovers. Springs are going to run you about $200. Shocks will be another 600. now you are $200 away from having coil overs.

I am very happy with my setup. I have SSC springs with a progress rear sway bar. Stock tires, with the steel wheels and all. I was at an autocross 2 weeks ago and had a rider who as far as I could tell was trying to set the record for the most number of rides in one day. Obviously with my tires I couldn't keep up with everyone else running R compounds or even the usual Falken Atzenis. But I got one of the best compliments i've had yet from him. He said my car felt more solid than an Audi S4 he just rode in. He also said it was the best front wheel drive car he had been in.

Its a cheap setup, $150 for the sway bar and another $200 (I think) for the springs. I couldn't be happier with how well the car handles, once i get a decent set of tires I really don't see a lot of room for improvement while keeping a comfortable ride. I'm not going to say its as soft as stock, its not by any means, but it feels a lot better to me.

Don't worry too much about the warranty, obviously your suspension warranty will be gone, the only real problem you might come across is blowing a strut, i have 10,000 miles with my springs and no issues yet but some people have problems. I wouldn't really want another set of factory struts anyways so its a non issue to me. They can't, and most likely won't bother you over your car being lowered if you have some issue come up. If they do, call the GM warranty people. And if they are that big of ****** they will probably notice that the prolines are progressive rate, It doesn't look factory.

My vote for the best setup aside from coil overs would be the canchuck springs and a progress rear sway bar. And a good set of tires...