Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Specific Technical Discussion > Suspension
New ZZP front sway bar making noise >

New ZZP front sway bar making noise

Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ZZP front sway bar making noise

Old 08-01-2018, 07:09 PM

I wonder too :/ I gave up. Tried new links new bushings new clamps.

I have read there are two different types of control arms found on cobalts, steel and aluminum.
Aluminum being a little smaller in the sense it would provide more clearance than a steel control arm.
I donít know anything I say is a grasp at straws.

Being a LAP engine, my vehicle has very little amount of info out there. Christ it probably took me 5 months to figure out my car was not an L61.
Prehpas in my exact vehicle there is something slightly different than another cobalt.

Prehaps zzp tested there bar on cobalts 2005-2008 LE5ís, L61ís, LNFís LSJís etc and said ďwell if itís fitting all of them so far, probably fits em all?Ē
I really donít know
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM

Needles to say if anyone is reading this and has an 09 g5 And your thinking of upgrading your front bar. Go with a larger stock bar, Fe3 or Fe5.

As as someone said above, zzp bar is 26mm hollow
largest stock bar is 24mm solid

who knows maybe I was shipped the wrong bar, it looked like th picture the cruves matched to my underbody, but the ends of zzpís bar do not resemble a stock bar.

Different sway bar geometry. Not to say it wonít work, but it didnít for me.
Back to the stock bar now, no rattle glunk , my shocks took a beating threw it all.
but at the end of the day, I can hit a speed bump doing 20km/h all I hear is a faint *squish not BOOOOOM-GLUNK-SMASH-CRASH-CLANG-ScREEEeE

yes the car understeers a little bit but I canít enjoy driving. Turn up the music and not have to worry that my sway bar is gonna take out a trans mount on the road
Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 PM

*i can enjoy*
Old 08-01-2018, 07:27 PM

If you want less understeer and more oversteer you want a rear bar. Many recommend not going any stiffer than the FE5 front bar for body roll anyway because once you exceed that stiffness it adversely affects the handling by promoting more understeer. Look into a Powell hardcore rear bar or OTTP's rear bar. It just bolts to the rear twisting beam and is easy to install.